FiiO E7 Review
Apr 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #62 of 79
how long did it take for you guys to get it fully charged for the first time...im runing 5 hours and it is not indicating full charge yet...the manual said about 200 minutes for full charge,,,,

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #63 of 79
Does everyone experience hiss in the sound?

edit: does it work well with the koss portapro?

About 2 weeks ago I lend my e7 to my brother because I noticed some distortion on the low end a very subtle hiss when the bass drum or bass guitar reached some deepness. I asked him to see if he could detect it. He owns a pair of entry level sennheiser and didnt noticed it.
Yesterday I got it back and made an intensive A B test with my macbook pro as source and its built in output. I noticed a better edge in the sound (not a huge change but noticeable) when the e7 is used, but I also got that small distortion, I switched to the built in output and the distortion is not present. Im using 32ohms DT990s with flat eq and no bass boost on the e7. I was planning to make a bit more tests with it tonight but I forgot it in the office :frowning2:

I dont know if someone experienced this small distortion? I havent got any other headphone amp to compare, but I hope I get one soon.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #64 of 79

Quote:
About 2 weeks ago I lend my e7 to my brother because I noticed some distortion on the low end a very subtle hiss when the bass drum or bass guitar reached some deepness. I asked him to see if he could detect it. He owns a pair of entry level sennheiser and didnt noticed it.
Yesterday I got it back and made an intensive A B test with my macbook pro as source and its built in output. I noticed a better edge in the sound (not a huge change but noticeable) when the e7 is used, but I also got that small distortion, I switched to the built in output and the distortion is not present. Im using 32ohms DT990s with flat eq and no bass boost on the e7. I was planning to make a bit more tests with it tonight but I forgot it in the office
frown.gif

I dont know if someone experienced this small distortion? I havent got any other headphone amp to compare, but I hope I get one soon.

That does not sound good at all.

Thanks for reporting.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #65 of 79
I have a pair of AKG K272 HD that I want to run through a DAC/AMP off my Macbook pro... I had been looking at the Headroom Total BitHead, but then I thought I might want to do some more research before I buy... Any comparison to the Fiio E7??? I don't have any DAC or Amps now, and I'm just beginning to get into real audiophile territory... any recommendations on which I should get? The BitHead is $50 more, but if it's clearly a higher quality amp, then it's worth the extra cash to me... any help?

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #66 of 79
Hi all...first post here, so hello to you all.

Yesterday I took delivery of the E7 and E9, and I'm mighty impressed with the combo.

However, the E7 when used on its own has an annoying fault in the unit I received. The quality of the output jacks on the E7 is not so great. I plugged in my Etymotic HF3s into the unit last night to try it out for the first time and the connection in both jacks is poor. The sound was really muffled/distorted at first. When I swivelled the earbud jack around in the socket a little, it went away and the quality was great, but you've got to keep the connection in the same position or the sound deteriorates markedly...very quiet vocals and massive noise across the rest of the sound. Kind of like if you reverse the phase of one stereo channel so it's the same as the other....frequencies drop out completely and the signal messes up completely.

A little disappointing, considering the otherwise excellent performance of the device.

I'm hoping this sorts itself out as I move to Qatar in one week and won't therefore be able to return the unit to the supplier and get a new one back before I leave the UK.

Anyone else had this problem?

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #67 of 79
Try cleaning the 3.5mm plug first and see how that goes.

Quote:
Hi all...first post here, so hello to you all.

Yesterday I took delivery of the E7 and E9, and I'm mighty impressed with the combo.

However, the E7 when used on its own has an annoying fault in the unit I received. The quality of the output jacks on the E7 is not so great. I plugged in my Etymotic HF3s into the unit last night to try it out for the first time and the connection in both jacks is poor. The sound was really muffled/distorted at first. When I swivelled the earbud jack around in the socket a little, it went away and the quality was great, but you've got to keep the connection in the same position or the sound deteriorates markedly...very quiet vocals and massive noise across the rest of the sound. Kind of like if you reverse the phase of one stereo channel so it's the same as the other....frequencies drop out completely and the signal messes up completely.

A little disappointing, considering the otherwise excellent performance of the device.

I'm hoping this sorts itself out as I move to Qatar in one week and won't therefore be able to return the unit to the supplier and get a new one back before I leave the UK.

Anyone else had this problem?

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #68 of 79
Hi...thanks for the tip. These are a pair of brand-new buds and were straight out of the box (previous HF3s were placed in the washing machine by dearest daughter - they did not survive). Have cleaned the jack nonetheless and still getting the problem. Will borrow some other phones and try those to see if the problem lies with the HF3, but my feeling is that it's a faulty unit.

Shame, because I love what it does to my music :)

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #69 of 79
As a postscript, I just ordered a set of AudioTechnica M50S phones. As a complete newbie to the world of decent quality kit, I've spent close to £400 quid in the last 10 days alone. It's getting to be an expensive hobby already, but well worth it. I'm listening to more music that I've listened to since I was at Uni (and that was some time ago, I can tell you - kids etc). I just need to re-source all my MP3 tracks in Flac format now. :)

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #74 of 79
I'm listening to my laptop streaming from Spotify in HQ mode now, using the E7 with Etymotic HF5s. The quality is so much better than without the little black box. Using the E7/E9 combo with my M50s playing .flac files is (to me) simply stunning. Definitely worth the reasonable investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back