FIIO E7 problems/help
Jan 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

saintyoo

100+ Head-Fier
I just received the e7's (first amp with the ath m50's!) today and it worked great at first.

The first thing I noticed was that the bass booster distorted the bass, although I saw in another thread that it might be because of my sub-par laptop sound card. I'm going to try other sources, other laptops, ipod, etc to see if there is an improvment.

Number two... after about 3 hours of use, the e7's started to mess with the laptop's sound drivers (at least that's what I believe). Frequently, after I plug the USB in, or when I try to play a FLAC file after the USB is already plugged in, sound would stop working on Winamp/mediamonkey/firefox/etc but strangely itunes and the volume indicator noise still worked. Other times, the sound stops working completely. I thought about just using the male to male and not the USB but then the e7's doesn't function as a DAC right? I know that in the instructions it says to restart the media player application after connecting the e7 or you may lose sound. I did that but I don't think that this sort of problem is what the instructions were talking about.

any help/suggestions?

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 3
E7's bass boost should distort the bass unless you are listening to bass heavy music (or using bass EQ on your PC). The reason is some bass heavy music has used up all the available headroom in the music and further increasing the bass will result in clipping. EQ does that same thing as well.

As for you other problem, I'll suggest you reinstall the USB sound driver. Go to your Device Manager on Windows, connect the E7 and you will see an 'USB Audio DAC' pop up under Sound, Video, and Game Controller. Double click on the USB Audio DAC, go to Driver and click Uninstall. Disconnect the E7 and restart your PC. Once you restart your PC, connect the E7 back and it should automatically reinstall the driver. You might also want to check on a few things: 1) USB cable, 2) USB port (make sure you didn't try to connect too many things at once). 3) Try plugging a 3.5mm plug to the line-in socket and remove it immediately.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks! Reinstalling the driver seemed to do the trick, I thought that the sound card driver was the problem since the problem persisted after I disconnected the e7 but it seems to be working now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back