Fiio E7 (or another) + AKG K702
Aug 28, 2010 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dxanex

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm new here, and this site has been incredibly helpful in my decision making process.

I have recently decided that it's time to replace my 10+ (!) year old Sennheiser HD250's which have served me extremely well. After bouncing back and forth between the Sennheiser HD600's and the AKG 702's I've decided to take the plunge with the 702s which are on their way.

Currently I'm looking at portable amps and I am very close to buying the Fiio E7 because it fits my budget and because of the built in DAC. I've read in some reviews that the E7 creates a nice wide soundstage. That has made me a bit hesitant because I've also read that the K702s naturally also have a very wide soundstage, to the point that some people feel almost too much.

My concern is this: might this not be a good couple, because the soundstage would be too extreme? (is that even possible? I'm pretty new to all this) is there a better amp/dac for the K702 in this price range or should I save my pennies for something a little higher up the chain? I also like the fact that the Fiio had the bass boost option which may help with some of the bass issues I've read about with the K702 (no I'm not a basshead).

Has anyone here used the E7 with the AKG 702? Thanks in advance!

P.S. My source is primarily a laptop and iPod classic. Genre is mostly rock and electronic.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 3
so any takers?

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 3
The K701/702 is pretty difficult to drive well and needs a powerful amp. Most portable amps won't do it, and will result in weak bass and perhaps some loss in clarity. The Mini^3 or iBasso Toucan are your best bets for portable amps.

Also, these threads might help:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504415/amp-dac-for-k701
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501631/amp-and-dac-for-akg-k701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back