FiiO E7 + Hifiman EF2a = Which closed full size headphone? (EF2A Users Help needed!)
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sysagent

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

Currently using my Hifiman EF2A hooked up to the FiiO E7 DAC and listening with Hifiman RE0 headphones, all sources are FLAC and the style is from electronic to Genesis to eighties to anything that is really well produced...

The FiiO E7 is well burnt in, as is the Hifiman EF2A (with Mullard's CV4010 tubes), also the Re0's have had plenty of airtime.

The issue I have is two fold:-

1) The sound out of the Hifiman RE0 headphones is bright, maybe too bright in the upper mids for me with this setup at the moment

2) The Hifiman EF2A gain is too large for the RE0's, I can hardly get past the eight o'clock position without it becoming unbearable

I have a budget of around £200 - £250 for a pair of new headphones, they don't need to be IEM, but they do need to be of a closed back type due to me using them all day in the work environment.

Ideally I am thinking they need to be of a high impedance so the gain of the EF2A amp becomes less of an issue (something above the 64 ohms of the RE0's) and not have a sensitivity of above 100dB - 1mw as this will make them easier to drive also I am guessing.

With the above in mind it would greatly appreciated if fellow EF2A users or anyone else could share their thoughts and opinions on what I should be purchasing in the very near future.

Many thanks in advance

Sys

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Hifiman HE-4 :).

Quote:
Hello there,

Currently using my Hifiman EF2A hooked up to the FiiO E7 DAC and listening with Hifiman RE0 headphones, all sources are FLAC and the style is from electronic to Genesis to eighties to anything that is really well produced...

The FiiO E7 is well burnt in, as is the Hifiman EF2A (with Mullard's CV4010 tubes), also the Re0's have had plenty of airtime.

The issue I have is two fold:-

1) The sound out of the Hifiman RE0 headphones is bright, maybe too bright in the upper mids for me with this setup at the moment

2) The Hifiman EF2A gain is too large for the RE0's, I can hardly get past the eight o'clock position without it becoming unbearable

I have a budget of around £200 - £250 for a pair of new headphones, they don't need to be IEM, but they do need to be of a closed back type due to me using them all day in the work environment.

Ideally I am thinking they need to be of a high impedance so the gain of the EF2A amp becomes less of an issue (something above the 64 ohms of the RE0's) and not have a sensitivity of above 100dB - 1mw as this will make them easier to drive also I am guessing.

With the above in mind it would greatly appreciated if fellow EF2A users or anyone else could share their thoughts and opinions on what I should be purchasing in the very near future.

Many thanks in advance

Sys

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Hifiman HE-4 :).

He specified closed-type headphones.  Sysagent, here are a few suggestions for ya:

AKG K271MKII

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Sennheiser HD380PRO, HD25-1

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Bummer, I didn't see "Closed back" until I read through a second time. 

No problem, I've been gulity of not really reading the original post through before posting as well.

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 8
This is an older thread, but may I ask, OP, why you chose to use the Fiio E7 instead of the built-in DAC in the EF2? Is the Fiio DAC of superior quality?

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
This is an older thread, but may I ask, OP, why you chose to use the Fiio E7 instead of the built-in DAC in the EF2? Is the Fiio DAC of superior quality?

if i had to hazard a guess, i'd say because of the bass boost presets on the E7, EQ software no-longer needed to nudge the bass up a tad.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

Hi there,

The FiiO DAC is of a higher quality yes and sounds a lot better than the internal DAC the EF2a has.

Saying that I am looking to update the FiiO sooner than later to possibly a v-DAC II or TeraDak Chameleon...

Sys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back