Fiio E7/E9 + Matrix M-Stage VS. NuForce Icon HDP VS. Other
May 23, 2011 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Philiiiiipe

New Head-Fier
So I need to make a decision. Purchase the Fiio E7/E9 combo AND the Matrix M-Stage, or the NuForce HDP. I tried making a pro's and con's list, but thought that you guys could help me make a more informed decision.

I already have the E7, so if I purchase the E9 and the M-Stage, it would come to a total of $400. If I purchase the NuForce HDP, it would be $450. They're in the same price range, so that won't be a problem. My thoughts were, the M-Stage would be connected to my CD player and turntable, and the Fiio E7/E9 would be for my laptop. I've read raving reviews on the M-Stage, and I already have half the E7/E9 combo, so I'm already leaning in that direction.

But the reason I'm considering the HDP, is because of the DAC. I've read that the amp is nothing special, and haven't really read anything on the DAC, but I really want an upgrade from the E7's DAC. And the HDP can't be the #1 headphone amp on Head-Fi reviews for no reason, right? Also, I thought that getting the HDP would put my laptop SQ on par with my CD player/turntable SQ, or at least in the ball park. Presently, the difference in SQ has been driving me crazy, so much so that I never listen to my laptop. Also, it's a sort of all-in-one solution, connected both to my laptop and CD player/turntable.

But then again, from what I've read, getting the Matrix M-Stage would bring my CD player/turntable to a whole other level, and the E7/E9, though not as good as the HDP DAC-wise, would still give me decent-to-good SQ. Admittedly, I've never listened to any of these amps, and that is why I'm asking for opinions.

I would also like to add, I need a future-proof setup, as this will be my rig for quite a while. I have AKG K271 MK II's, so yeah, not the most amazing phones out there. Sooner or later, I will upgrade, and would like to be ready for that. Maybe, a recommendation for my current phones, and a recommendation for say, HD600's, K702's, DT990's, or other higher end headphones.

The reason I added "Other" to the title was, if anyone has ANY other suggestions for DAC/amp's in this price range, they would be very welcome. Just yesterday, I was looking at the Little Dot MK III.

I now realize I've typed an essay of some sorts, but that's because I want to be really thorough. Any thoughts at all would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Oh and one last thing. Sorry, ignorant question, but with the HDP, would the DAC override the DAC on my CD player when connected? Is that even possible?

If I've broken any Head-Fi rules, say on length of questions, or if I posted in the wrong forum, I apologize, still new here. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back