FiiO E6 Mod (Less muddy sound)
May 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 29
Well, I don't think I am going to add anything to this.  It is pretty easy to do.  The only thing I will add is that it's near impossible to snap it back together, so just use the electrical tape.  It's easy to drill holes in the back of it and then feed them through.  Anyways, I can vouch to say that this mod definitely helps and I highly suggest it.  The E6 is very very nice for it's price.  It actually lets me hear my HM5 with my PSP.  Without it the volume is way too low.

May 9, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 29
Ummm...  So how does this mod work exactly?  Batteries don't emit interference that would cause noise, and simply moving it away from an opamp should not clean up the sound. 

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I really don't see how moving a battery a few mm away from it's original location could change anything, at best you'll get better heat dissipation, but if you're having heat issues, then there's way more wrong than the batteries location.  If you're having this issue when it's plugged into a usb charger, then you're picking up noise from the switch mode power supply, not the battery.

May 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
Ummm...  So how does this mod work exactly?  Batteries don't emit interference that would cause noise, and simply moving it away from an opamp should not clean up the sound. 

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I really don't see how moving a battery a few mm away from it's original location could change anything, at best you'll get better heat dissipation, but if you're having heat issues, then there's way more wrong than the batteries location.  If you're having this issue when it's plugged into a usb charger, then you're picking up noise from the switch mode power supply, not the battery.

Well there wasn't any science behind this, I was bored while waiting for my PA2V2 to arrive so I opened up the FiiO. To my eyes the shielding on the wires looked really bad and the battery was enclosed in some cheap insulation material. It went from being on top of the amplification components to being separated by thick plastic. I'm no engineer or anything, so my best guess can only be that battery stifling the performance of the amp by sitting directly on top of it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Step 1. Remove casing from the E6, the best way to do this is to slide into the triangle where you insert the clip and then pry it open.

What? 
What slide into triangle? How do I "pry it open"? You call this a step? lol. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 29
The only way to get the best sound out of e6....

Is first pry that little monster open(sorry using pc right now....so no pics)

Then apply 3m aluminium(foil) tape over the inner plastic part, battery..

Then tape the wire(real deal maker)to silent the dc constant magnetic noise(not ac).......

And close this up

1. Advantages

-even lower noise pickup from environment

-cooler due to aluminium tape as heatsink

-better opamp performance due to optimal temps

-clearance will go down to 90hz(earlier was 125hz)

Disadvantages

-longer use will heat it more
-heavier than earlier
-not huge improvement(some bass clearance and lower floor noise)

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #24 of 29
U can add to the chipset too..... it will give even more performance...

Only opamp, capacitor etc and not the whole chip.

Moving battery dont help that much

Bass clearance only went to 120hz...
So this **** isnt worth untill or unless u dont have super sensetive ears

What people heard was better step response as wire of battery went away from opamp(went outside) and wasnt stuffed inside....thus magnetic interferences were low.

But it doesnt have connection with bass..
It helps in mids with adding some soundsatge and some z axis mid bass(how hard the bass hits)

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #25 of 29
The best noticible upgrade is using exotic battery(ifi audio sorta like) and very short pure silver wire to connect the battery and all upgrade given above

If there are engineers here

They can remake e6 with exotic components and give it the e5 casing

As e5 was sheilfed properly but the internal interference caused alot of issue.....

And e6 sorted out internal issue, made the chipset sheilded and then used the ******* plastic.......

So if u fuse exotic e6 with aluminium chassis(get it 3D printed) with proper battery placement and wiring

It can outperform objective amp in SQ(not in terms of power handling)

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #27 of 29
  This sounds like one big troll post. Exotic battery? Silver power wire? DC magnetic noise from battery? Nope, just no.

Yeah, I certainly agree with you in principle, but some of that may just be language issues.  "Exotic battery" also included a reference to iFi, so it could mean a very nice linear-regulated power supply, which is what they market and sell (a bit dishonestly, claiming to be the only ones with such products). 
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #28 of 29
The best noticible upgrade is using exotic battery(ifi audio sorta like) and very short pure silver wire to connect the battery and all upgrade given above

If there are engineers here

They can remake e6 with exotic components and give it the e5 casing

As e5 was sheilfed properly but the internal interference caused alot of issue.....

And e6 sorted out internal issue, made the chipset sheilded and then used the ******* plastic.......

So if u fuse exotic e6 with aluminium chassis(get it 3D printed) with proper battery placement and wiring

It can outperform objective amp in SQ(not in terms of power handling)

This sounds like a horrendous waste of money and time.

This how to definitely needs some cleaning up, but I don't think the e6 is worth even that anymore.

By the way, I don't remember why this mod worked, just that it did slightly improve the sound, especially at higher output. I threw my e6 in the trash years ago so...

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #29 of 29
This sounds like a horrendous waste of money and time.

This how to definitely needs some cleaning up, but I don't think the e6 is worth even that anymore.

By the way, I don't remember why this mod worked, just that it did slightly improve the sound, especially at higher output. I threw my e6 in the trash years ago so...
at higher output u say

The answer is the wire was distanced feim battery and the amount of emf was reduced considerably as the wire was straightened too....

So higher output got cleaned
I think there is no SQ improvement as u mentioned that bass got clear

By the way thanks

I love my fiio e6 more than my benchmark 1 schiit valhalla 2's

After modding i love them even more

U shouldnt have thrown them bro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back