FiiO E6 Mod (Less muddy sound)
Feb 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Cam3ron

Member of the Trade
This is a relatively easy mod, but please don't attempt this if you are not decent with your hands or have a tendency to yank things. 

The FiiO E6 is a great amp, but the sound gets muddy and is plagued by buzzes when at high output. Luckily, I've discovered a solution (This is my solution, no one has yet done this).

I will be adding pictures later (my camera isn't working).

Step 1. Remove casing from the E6, the best way to do this is to slide into the triangle where you insert the clip and then pry it open.

Step 2. Remove entire board from the case and set it on an anti-static mat.

Step 3. Carefully pull the golden wrapped battery to the side of the board, being careful not to yank off the soldering. 

Step 4. Secure the soldering on the board for the battery with a piece of electrical tape or preferable enhanced soldering.

Step 5. Replace casing around the battery wire allowing it to pass through the place where the triangle clip holder should be. You can also insulate the wires if you have the time or patience to improve performance further.

Step 6. Make sure all switches and sliders are in place, then seal case together with a firm snap, and stick the battery to the side with either it's own stickiness or tape.

Step 7. Enjoy enhanced sound.

What this mod does: The battery although insulated very slightly, provides noise that interferes with the amplifying components of the E6. This mod takes the battery and makes external, so there is virtually no noise. 

Result: Clearer sound, Reduced Muddiness and Buzzes at High Output. Bass EQ will appear tighter and punchier. 

Downsides: Clip can no longer be used, unless you drill another hole for the wire to come out of.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 29
Sounds like an interesting mod wait for the pics

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 29
My PA2V2 recently arrived and I gave my E6 to a friend, so pictures are pretty much impossible as of yet. If I wind up getting an E6 again, I will be sure to take some pictures, that is once my camera comes back from repair. Sorry about that. I can provide a simple diagram if anyone needs that to attempt this mod.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 29
Oh nice sounds very cool, although ultimatley I think I'm happy with the E6 as it is and I happen to like the clip, plus I wanna upgrade to the E11 so no reason to risk breaking my E6... for now xD

Still it's great to see that you preceived an issue and had the knowledge and know how to improve it!

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
My PA2V2 recently arrived and I gave my E6 to a friend, so pictures are pretty much impossible as of yet. If I wind up getting an E6 again, I will be sure to take some pictures, that is once my camera comes back from repair. Sorry about that. I can provide a simple diagram if anyone needs that to attempt this mod.

How do you like the PA2V2 compared to the E6? I ordered one yesterday, will be the first amplifier I ever use. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 29

Quote:
How do you like the PA2V2 compared to the E6? I ordered one yesterday, will be the first amplifier I ever use. 

I think it's quality kind of depends on the kind of headphones you are using. I match mine with my Panasonic's which have a very warm tone and it is astounding. But with my Sony's, there is less of a difference. This has to do with the impedence. Really though, I think it's more dependent on the signature of the headphones you are using. The PA2V2 is better with warmer signatures in my opinion.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 29

Quote:
My e6 just broke and was thinking of opening it up and fixing. Thanks for the case opening tip. If i can fix it I'm thinking of sticking inside my imod .. thanks

Please, Please don't do that. The E6 costs $25, the iMod costs $500. You kind of have me worried now cause all I can think of is some really high quality cabling getting ruined.  

Quote:
Question: Do you feel unweary about leaving the battery outside?

It's just a battery, I actually considered changing it out for a D battery but wasn't sure about voltage so I held off. You can simply tape around the whole of the case to make it look neat.

May 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 29
For anything internal in the psp, hot glue would probably be preferable to electrical tape. Just pm or email the pictures to me and I will add them to this thread in order to avoid repeat threads.

May 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 29
Well I usually try and make my own threads with really detailed information for people.  I thought you were going to send some pictures of the process.  It is fairly simple enough that I can do it, the way you explained it is just hard to understand.  Take a look at my HD555 detailed mod thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back