Fiio E5 + LOD=Hiss?
Jan 15, 2010 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Science Guy

New Head-Fier
For those who have a sansa fuze LOD, (or any LOD for that matter) and a fiio E5, how much volume do you need to use on the fiio to get acceptable volumes? Does it produce any hiss when using the fiio with an LOD? How loud is the max volume of a fiio e5 with an LOD? Please help!
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Science Guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who have a sansa fuze LOD, (or any LOD for that matter) and a fiio E5, how much volume do you need to use on the fiio to get acceptable volumes? Does it produce any hiss when using the fiio with an LOD? How loud is the max volume of a fiio e5 with an LOD? Please help!
confused_face(1).gif

The answer to this question depends almost entirely on which headphones you are planning to use. The Fiio E5 has no hiss with anything I have tried it with, so that shouldn't be a problem. But the volume level depends on the impedence and sensitivity of your headphones. The E5 has plenty of volume (enough to damage your ears) for IEM's and most low impedence headphones such as Grados, but with harder to drive headphones such as my 150 ohm orthos it doesn't have enough voltage. It's not so much a volume problem as just a lack of dynamics.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 9
The E5 always has hiss. It's just how it is, one of the drawbacks of being so damn affordable. However, it's completely unnoticeable whilst playing music, so you'll be alright.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Lower impedance headphones will always be more prone to hiss. Maximum volume that you can get with a E5 with an LOD is a function of the source output level, music file recording level, and the headphone being used.  In my experience with a pair of Alessandro MS1 headphones with the E5, the hiss was only noticeable between quiet breaks; and with the volume a few clicks below max, the hiss was not bothersome at all unless I was listening for it. However, by then, the volume on the MS1 was far greater than I would normally listen at.

Jack

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 9
My JH16's have brutal hiss with my E5 :frowning2:

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 9
Jul 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 9

You have JH16's and you use them with a FiiO E5?
eek.gif

yeah it was an imbarrassing fact for a while while I waited for my slim - cancelled - and now arrow and/or protector but I've given up on the fiio. While I liked the little extra bass punch I'm certain it was actually degrading my sound even when set to flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back