Fiio E5 for HD650?
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #16 of 17
Well... I've got a pair of HD650's, Yes I have walked around Auckland with them on paired to my E5 and clip - they sound great. The volume needs to be fairly up there, the Fiio is capable of driving them, you won't get perfect sound but compared to all the other headphones I've got, they still sound incredible.  
When at home they're happily paired to a Yamaha RX-V671 and, to be honest, don't sound all that much better than when paired to the E5. They go louder obviously but the Fiio is still capable of giving you tinnitus like a boss when paired with the 650's. 
PS4 > Optical > Recon3d > Fiio E5 > HD650's = win! 

Lower impedence, like my HD280's which only run 64ohm go dangerously loud but distort so easily with the same settings. 

The only reason I'd bother to get a new amp would be if my E5 decided to die OR I needed a new optical amp for my PS4, then I'd probably get an E17. 

TL:DR - I'm aware I'm not getting insane awesomeness out of my 650's with the E5 but sure, they sound frickin' awesome with the right source. It's a pretty transparent amp and as long as you don't hear anything much higher end (I'm looking at you HD800) you won't have a problem, they go plenty loud and clear enough for all but the snobbiest when you're out and about. 

happy listening! 

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 17
as is the law with audio - 
I've picked up an e17 and it sounds so much nicer. 
It's a fair bit more but totally worth it. 
Hooked it up to the '9 too and that sounded rather spiffy. E17 or a higher out improves the heck out them. People aren't lying when they say how much these things change with different amps! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back