1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

Fiio E5 for HD650?

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by noxa, Sep 1, 2009.
2
Next
 
Last
  1. noxa
    Hello all

    I am new to full size cans and amplication. I have various IEM"s and a fiio E3 amp but i would like to get some HD650 to use with my iphone 3G but have no clue as to whether it will work or which amp is best for my needs.

    Thanks for the help.
     
  2. iancraig10
    Not the best for an HD650 but believe it or not, the Filo helps with the low gain that you get straight from the Iphone. It does work but not for great listening. You would need something more powerful.

    Ian
     
  3. Sennshead
    After searching the threads for a long time, it seems like the best amps for the 650s tends to be tube amps like Little Dot Mk III and Dark voice 336se (at least on the ~300usd budget). I don't think a portable amps can really control them well, and there seems to be mixed impressions about how solid state amps do with them.

    We're in the same shoes, and I'm anxious to get an amp that can control them well (my Little Dot mk I+ does well at low volume, but cann't really control them otherwise)
     
  4. barleyguy
    The 650 will work best with something with higher voltage. The SR71A and the Pico are 18V, so those two would be good choices for portable amps. (About 20 times the price of the Fiio.)
     
  5. qusp Contributor
    my Lisa III does a pretty damn good job portable; not to their fullest potential, but very respectable IMO. sorry, but I actually LOL'd at your thread title OP, no way!!! fiios are lucky to give noticeably more power to IEMs; let alone harder to drive fullsize headphones like the 650's.
     
  6. Scott_Tarlow
    NO
     
  7. ear8dmg
    I tried a FiiO e5 with some HD580s I borrowed. It handled them better than my AV amp but the AV amp is rather picky about phones with high current or impedance.

    So it's probably better than nothing if your existing equipment is completely inadequate for amplifying HD650s. There will be plenty of better HD650 amps out there though.
     
  8. qusp Contributor
    wow your AV receiver must suck.... [​IMG] I mean errm, wow they must have some bad synergy going on ;p
     
  9. Mr C
    The hd650 are known to be picky about their amp. I'm saving right now to get a good dekstop amp before I get myself hd600/580. It will sound better with the fiio, but it wont sound as good as its supposed to be. These headphones are not really meant to be portable.
    They will probably sound worse than headphones that cost 100$ less if you dont amp them right.
    If you want to use them indoors get one of Ibasso's bigger amps, if you are planning to use them outside think again.
    Having the hd650 as first full size cans might be a bit of a gamble.
     
  10. thoppa
  11. foreverfi
    I agree all above opoins on the Portable amp is hardd to boost the HD 650. For the power is a bit lack.

    I have tried the AMP3 with HD600, the sound is acceptable, but not as perfect as the desktop full size amp. AMP3 can controll the vocal, and acoustic and othe "light"music, but to the "heavy music" the bass is a bit lite with the HD600 ( Same impedance)

    So my conclusion is if you want to have a portable amp to boost the full size high impedance headphone, you have to compromize sound sound quality. for the full size phones are also not designed specially for portable usage.

    If you can stand with the compromise, you can try the portable amps.like me, I can live with my AMP3/HD600 combo in my trip.
     
  12. Choochoo
    Fiio won't do any good when pair with high ohm cans like HD650.

    To make your rig portable, RSA SR71A (or RSA Predator at High Gain) will be the best choice in my opinion. While Lisa III will be the best contender for transportable category. My previous transportable combo was HD650 Equinox Noir cable + ALO SXC Hybrid DIY (18/22AWG) mini-RCA + Qables Female Dock + iPod Classic ... sweet [​IMG]
     
  13. thoppa
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by foreverfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I agree all above opoins on the Portable amp is hardd to boost the HD 650. For the power is a bit lack.

    I have tried the AMP3 with HD600, the sound is acceptable, but not as perfect as the desktop full size amp. AMP3 can controll the vocal, and acoustic and othe "light"music, but to the "heavy music" the bass is a bit lite with the HD600 ( Same impedance)

    So my conclusion is if you want to have a portable amp to boost the full size high impedance headphone, you have to compromize sound sound quality. for the full size phones are also not designed specially for portable usage.

    If you can stand with the compromise, you can try the portable amps.like me, I can live with my AMP3/HD600 combo in my trip.




    Do you have the high-performance or the extended runtime version ? How does the amp handle a bass boost to compensate for the lack of bass authority ?

    Thanks,

    Tom
     
  14. brendon
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    The 650 will work best with something with higher voltage. The SR71A and the Pico are 18V, so those two would be good choices for portable amps. (About 20 times the price of the Fiio.)



    Wrong ! The Fiio E3 costs ~ $6 while the others are almost 80 - 90 times and not 20 times ! [​IMG]

    Also the HD 650 are pretty dark in sound and the E3 is a dark amp. So not the best match IMHO.
     
  15. thoppa
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Wrong ! The Fiio E3 costs ~ $6 while the others are almost 80 - 90 times and not 20 times ! [​IMG]

    Also the HD 650 are pretty dark in sound and the E3 is a dark amp. So not the best match IMHO.




    I've read there are 2 types of HD650s - older ones have a white baffle material and the newer ones have a silver baffle. I have the silver baffle ones - they are definitely not at all 'dark'. Maybe the white-baffled ones are ?

    Tom
     
2
Next
 
Last

Share This Page