Fiio E5 for HD650?
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

noxa

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all

I am new to full size cans and amplication. I have various IEM"s and a fiio E3 amp but i would like to get some HD650 to use with my iphone 3G but have no clue as to whether it will work or which amp is best for my needs.

Thanks for the help.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 17
Not the best for an HD650 but believe it or not, the Filo helps with the low gain that you get straight from the Iphone. It does work but not for great listening. You would need something more powerful.

Ian

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 17
After searching the threads for a long time, it seems like the best amps for the 650s tends to be tube amps like Little Dot Mk III and Dark voice 336se (at least on the ~300usd budget). I don't think a portable amps can really control them well, and there seems to be mixed impressions about how solid state amps do with them.

We're in the same shoes, and I'm anxious to get an amp that can control them well (my Little Dot mk I+ does well at low volume, but cann't really control them otherwise)

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 17
The 650 will work best with something with higher voltage. The SR71A and the Pico are 18V, so those two would be good choices for portable amps. (About 20 times the price of the Fiio.)

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 17
my Lisa III does a pretty damn good job portable; not to their fullest potential, but very respectable IMO. sorry, but I actually LOL'd at your thread title OP, no way!!! fiios are lucky to give noticeably more power to IEMs; let alone harder to drive fullsize headphones like the 650's.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 17
NO

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 17
I tried a FiiO e5 with some HD580s I borrowed. It handled them better than my AV amp but the AV amp is rather picky about phones with high current or impedance.

So it's probably better than nothing if your existing equipment is completely inadequate for amplifying HD650s. There will be plenty of better HD650 amps out there though.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 17
wow your AV receiver must suck....
smily_headphones1.gif
I mean errm, wow they must have some bad synergy going on ;p

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 17
The hd650 are known to be picky about their amp. I'm saving right now to get a good dekstop amp before I get myself hd600/580. It will sound better with the fiio, but it wont sound as good as its supposed to be. These headphones are not really meant to be portable.
They will probably sound worse than headphones that cost 100$ less if you dont amp them right.
If you want to use them indoors get one of Ibasso's bigger amps, if you are planning to use them outside think again.
Having the hd650 as first full size cans might be a bit of a gamble.

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 17
I agree all above opoins on the Portable amp is hardd to boost the HD 650. For the power is a bit lack.

I have tried the AMP3 with HD600, the sound is acceptable, but not as perfect as the desktop full size amp. AMP3 can controll the vocal, and acoustic and othe "light"music, but to the "heavy music" the bass is a bit lite with the HD600 ( Same impedance)

So my conclusion is if you want to have a portable amp to boost the full size high impedance headphone, you have to compromize sound sound quality. for the full size phones are also not designed specially for portable usage.

If you can stand with the compromise, you can try the portable amps.like me, I can live with my AMP3/HD600 combo in my trip.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 17
Fiio won't do any good when pair with high ohm cans like HD650.

To make your rig portable, RSA SR71A (or RSA Predator at High Gain) will be the best choice in my opinion. While Lisa III will be the best contender for transportable category. My previous transportable combo was HD650 Equinox Noir cable + ALO SXC Hybrid DIY (18/22AWG) mini-RCA + Qables Female Dock + iPod Classic ... sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree all above opoins on the Portable amp is hardd to boost the HD 650. For the power is a bit lack.

I have tried the AMP3 with HD600, the sound is acceptable, but not as perfect as the desktop full size amp. AMP3 can controll the vocal, and acoustic and othe "light"music, but to the "heavy music" the bass is a bit lite with the HD600 ( Same impedance)

So my conclusion is if you want to have a portable amp to boost the full size high impedance headphone, you have to compromize sound sound quality. for the full size phones are also not designed specially for portable usage.

If you can stand with the compromise, you can try the portable amps.like me, I can live with my AMP3/HD600 combo in my trip.

Do you have the high-performance or the extended runtime version ? How does the amp handle a bass boost to compensate for the lack of bass authority ?

Thanks,

Tom

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650 will work best with something with higher voltage. The SR71A and the Pico are 18V, so those two would be good choices for portable amps. (About 20 times the price of the Fiio.)

Wrong ! The Fiio E3 costs ~ $6 while the others are almost 80 - 90 times and not 20 times !
tongue.gif

Also the HD 650 are pretty dark in sound and the E3 is a dark amp. So not the best match IMHO.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong ! The Fiio E3 costs ~ $6 while the others are almost 80 - 90 times and not 20 times !
tongue.gif

Also the HD 650 are pretty dark in sound and the E3 is a dark amp. So not the best match IMHO.

I've read there are 2 types of HD650s - older ones have a white baffle material and the newer ones have a silver baffle. I have the silver baffle ones - they are definitely not at all 'dark'. Maybe the white-baffled ones are ?

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back