Fiio E5 - Crackling/Static when charging
Jan 30, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rehban

New Head-Fier
It's been mentioned sporadically from what I've searched but is this a problem for most owners thus far?

Reason being is I'd like to get an exchange before time runs out if it isn't.

When charging through usb (red light comes on), I'll get random crackling, static, sometimes a faint hum in the background. Sometimes a little hiss, as soon as the usb cable is unplugged it's back to normal in an instant. I have not experienced any interference or problems at all as long as it's not charging while turned on, and can use it for hours.

Cans: ATH-AD900
Source: Realtek ALC889A

This has been tried at mutliple volume levels including the lowest volume on the amp.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 7
Don't listen to it while you are charging it. problem solved. charging the E5 takes so little time doesn't make sense to use it while it's charging.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't listen to it while you are charging it. problem solved. charging the E5 takes so little time doesn't make sense to use it while it's charging.

Fair enough, and I obviously don't. But doesn't this sound like it's not supposed to happen? After all, I was just asking if this is a widespread issue a lot of owners are experiencing.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 7
I just try charging my E5 (via USB port on my Dell XPS420) and listening to it feeding from on both a Sansa Fuze and WMP11 - find no cracking or any distortion any at all. The only logical conclusion I can come up with is, it depends on how 'clean' the power supply on you USB port and sound card are. If they interfere with each other, than they are very likely to create distortion.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 7
I know that when ear buds are put into my laptop when it is charging it makes annoying buzzing sounds. If the laptop is on battery power the annoying sound stops. I think it is some interference(not sure if that is the correct word) witch comes from the wall.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Sorry to awaken an old thread but I was also experiencing this problem when using my Fiio e07k amp. I have the feeling that the previous posts are true, there must be some sort of interference from the connection to the USB port that may be causing the crackling noise as I don't think it is device specific and is likely a problem with a few Fiio devices.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Could very well be true. My E12 Mont Blanc also makes a humming noise when listening to it while it's charging. From what I read in other reviews, all E12s do this. Wouldn't surprise me if other portable FiiO devices do the same.

I don't consider it to be an issue. I just don't listen to it when it's charging.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back