FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Dec 25, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #872 of 1,737
I have my amp at full volume at all times, and use my source to adjust volume. I don't have a problem with hiss I think, and it's easier for me to adjust the volume on my source than the amp.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #873 of 1,737
Time for me to chime in on the deal I got from mp4nation: FiiO E5 + SoundMagic PL-30. Used from my two currently-used sources: a SONY portable AM-FM radio and the Line-Out of a 5.5G iMod, it's a truly enjoyable listen - with plenty of embedded "treat-to-the-ear" goodies. I really LOVE the sound of FM stereo radio, and, using the FiiO E5 with SoundMagic PL30, it is a portable FM radio-listener's dream setup. Plenty of detail, very spacious, no harshness with lots of the air-guitar and move-your-body-to-the-tunes groove that makes FM radio SO enjoyable to me. What's really nice about this rig is that now I have a small, light and mainly, inexpensive, rig that I can take with me in public places (like while waiting for my car to be serviced) to enjoy - and to NOT have to worry TOO much about an accident or theft.

With the E3, I would use the headphone out of the iMod (for the volume control). With the E5, I can use the line-out of the iMod. The iMod puts out a sufficiently strong signal, and the PL30 are sufficiently sensitive that I use the lower end of the volume range of the D5 to listen - and the difference in volume per "click" is fairly large. Still, I can always find a "click" on the E5 volume control where I can listen very enjoyably. Would I prefer to use my SR-71A and Yuin PK1? For SQ, yes - but not out in public (too much money involved). By the same token, out in public I'd be very unlikely to be using my iMod. However, the success of this trial leads me to think of a lower cost iPod or Sansa Fuze with the E5 and PL30 for an ideal public-use and very enjoyable portable rig. The small, flat profile of the E5 (relative to the larger and thicker E3) also suits the E5 quite a bit better for use with a small and inexpensive mp3 player.

About the E5 bass boost: it is really useful to have the choice of bass boost or not on the E5. First of all, the amount that the bass is boosted is both meaningful for listening and toward the subtle side. Whenever a song seems a bit lean, the bass boost brings it into the "Ahhhhh!" spectral balance. And for songs leaning a bit hard on the bass in the mix, turning it off yields a nicely more pleasingly listenable spectral mix. The presence of the bass boost switch makes a noticeable difference in my enjoyment of a wider selection of music. Yet, it is subtle enough that (thankfully) turning it off or on will never (to my ears) transform a song from too-little to too-much bass. It's a smaller step designed to take too-little or too-much bass enjoyably closer to "enough".

For the more usefully portable form factor, the volume control and the well-implemented bass boost switch, AND, most importantly, its basic SQ, and for how all of these features are so effective in increasing the enjoyment of my listening, I find the E5 to be well worth its price difference over the E3. I'd say that its basic SQ is on par with the E3. It is the additional, very usefully implemented, features of the E5 and its form factor which make the E5 well worth the increased price. This is the first amp (along with the PL30) that has me serious about an out-in-public portable listening rig.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #874 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Time for me to chime in on the deal I got from mp4nation: FiiO E5 + SoundMagic PL-30.

Lucky you. They forgot to ship my PL-30s with the E5 so I'm waiting to hear back about how they'll rectify this.

Half the expected new toys does not a happy headphone geek make.

Dec 26, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #875 of 1,737
I just bought a Fiio E5 today, my very first impression was the size of it, i never thought that it would be this small. The second impression was the improved bass, the bass now sounded very strong and tense, very much like my taste
biggrin.gif
. As for those who have E3, i recommend to upgrade to E5, take the size and the amount of booted bass into account
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #876 of 1,737
I haven't heard much about burn-in. I'm assuming that from the design it doesn't need much (any?). Just wondering if anyone's noticed a change.

Just got mine. Charged and ready to go!

And yes, it really is that small!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #877 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard much about burn-in. I'm assuming that from the design it doesn't need much (any?). Just wondering if anyone's noticed a change.

It's a relatively short burn-in period - about 10 hours. In that time, the sound clarifies, deepens and looses its rough edges. But it's not a long enough period to make it noteworthy.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #879 of 1,737
I can't wait to get the final spec E5. I've tried to purchase through dealextreme, but they've really let me down this time.

When I placed an order in, they said the item was in stock. This was late november/early december. Its almost the end of december now, and I still don't have a final-spec E5. Its frustrating enough for me to simply cancel my order, and wait till I go back to Hong Kong to purchase one in about 3 weeks time. My previous orders with them have been perfect, so I'm really pissed off. Everytime I check for a status update, it just says "Processing - Contact us for update".

Does anyone know where I can purchase an E5 in HK?

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #880 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where I can purchase an E5 in HK?

恆源(Forever Source Digital)有得買,HKD228.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #882 of 1,737
Thanks to the kindness of a poster who alerted us to the fact that the tracking number from DealExtreme could also be used with USPS, I have learned that my Fiio E5 (finally) shipped from Hong Kong on 12-13, arriving in NY on 12-25, so I'll probably receive it on Tue/Wed. I can't understand why it took 12 days to get from HK to NY, but ...

I'm not into bass nearly as much as highs and mids, being primarily a jazz/classical listener, so would be interested in feedback from any others who enjoy these genres, while mine is still in-transit. I realize that I'm in the minority with respect to being a jazz listener, but I can live with that.
wink.gif

Also, has anyone experienced this little amp connected to Grado SR-60s or SR-80s, or any Sennheiser phones?

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #883 of 1,737
i wonder if i should bother with this... it's so cheap lol!

iPod Touch 2G -> cheap ebay LOC -> Fiio E5 -> Westone UM1
iPod Touch 2G -> cheap ebay LOC -> Fiio E5 -> AKG K81DJ

i have a leckerton UH3 that i love using with my laptop, more because of the USBdac ... the onboard sound is so noisy. i suppose i hear a bit of dynamic range increase, lower lows, higher highs, a bit more detail... both cans i have do react well to amplification....

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #885 of 1,737
Would buying this with a LOD for the ipod touch remove background static?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back