FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #736 of 1,737
Where the eff beans is mine from Head-Direct?
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully shipped today!

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #737 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where the eff beans is mine from Head-Direct?
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully shipped today!

lol, I'm with ya.
I should probably get around to ordering that new iPod now..

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #738 of 1,737
Just received mine today from Dealextreme. Sound quality-wise, it isn't much of an improvement over the E3. There is still a pretty loud hissing sound.

The rechargeable battery, clip, and volume control is definitely a plus though. The bass boost equalizer is great for my headphones with weak bass.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #741 of 1,737
Like another user suggested, would keeping the amp volume low yet keeping the volume of the source (player) high be a good way to keep the hissing down, or would that just deteriorate from the amp's abilities?

Is that a good idea?

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #742 of 1,737
I was under the impression that this is what one is supposed to do with an amp.

When I was building cmoys, it was said numerous times that it was better to turn up the volume on the source and then adjust with the amps volume.

On another subject, anyone test this amp with the Klipsch Image yet? Mines on the way.. but I'm curious if anyone's tried em out yet.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #743 of 1,737
It is always suggested that you supply the amp with about 80%-90% of the sources volume. This is not necessary when using an LOD as the volume out level for an LOD is constant. The amplifier Amps whatever it gets and the low level hiss is more evident at low source volumes.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #744 of 1,737
Hmm these are the first reports of loud hissing from the Fiio E5 most have said it is less than the E3, the E3 with my Atrio M5 V2's were not bad at all.

My E5 is currently at the post office waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow. I will report back tomorrow night exactly how it compares with the E3.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #745 of 1,737
Just got mine with the E3. I got the unit especially to pair with my DT770 using the X5L. Listening to some techno, I have to say this thing really drives the headphone really well, especially brings out the mids. I'll be pairing it up with the PSP-2000 and NWZ-728 to see how it fairs.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #748 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm these are the first reports of loud hissing from the Fiio E5 most have said it is less than the E3, the E3 with my Atrio M5 V2's were not bad at all.

My E5 is currently at the post office waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow. I will report back tomorrow night exactly how it compares with the E3.

Generaly I think that the low volume hiss associated with amps is that which is apparent when trying to feed the amp low volume levels. the amp will amplify whatever you feed it. and although it is not ofetn heard with the naked ear, most sources will hiss at extremely low volumes. If you keeping you source down way low perhaps you don't need an amp other than to "color" the SQ. Most often, once you increase the imput volume above 50% of the source's max. volume the hiss will subside regardless of the amp. I am not aware of any particular concerns that the E-5 or it's big brother the E-3 exhibit and more low volume hiss than any other micro-amp.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #749 of 1,737
my e5s arrived yesterday. haven't really had a chance to sit down with the amp yet but i should be able to after all the holiday hassle dies down. i hate sounding like such a scrooge.
i have #35, #37, and #39.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back