FiiO E5 amp (E3 upgraded)
Mar 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #1,186 of 1,737
I got my E5 about a week ago. I don't think it adds alot of volume to my mp3 player. The setup I'm using: Creative Zen V Plus > Fiio E5 > Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm).

I don't need it much louder, because I don't even play it at max volume. But I just thought it would go louder
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #1,187 of 1,737
Ugh.

Don't purchase the E5 or ANY OTHER PRODUCT from MP4 NATION.

I ordered the E5 when it was announced late November. My amp was stuck at Canada customs since December 12 and in mid February MP4 nation sends me an email saying that my address doesn't exist. Odd, because I used Paypal to purchase that, and then something on ebay using the same account, and that product CAME ON TIME.

So not only does MP4 nation NOT KNOW HOW TO PRINT MY ADDRESS PROPERLY on a package, it's been a month since they sent me an email saying 'Please reply and let us know what you want, if no reply is given within the next 7 days we will issue a refund per our return for refund policy.', and nothing has been returned to me. They have also not responded to my emails, in which I ask if they even put the correct address on the package. They are also charging me a $5 restocking fee (taking from my refund), which is utter ******** if they are the ones at fault.

I am aware that the E5 isn't exactly the most expensive product out there, but what is this horrible service.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #1,188 of 1,737
First post here. Been lurking for a few months now and have gotten lots of information from this site. Thanks to all that posts, very useful information.

Just wanted to say, I ordered my FiiO5 from MP4 Nation ($18.90 W/FS) on 2/13/09, shipped 2/15/09 and I just received it today 3/3/09 (Everett, WA). Box was a little bent (received by USPS) but everything inside was in great condition. It works just fine and I am really enjoying it. I guess mileage may vary per order(which by any means, not new information). Just thought I would drop my experience with this seller.

Thinking of getting another for my wife's Sylvania shuffle player (ya I know, it's cheap but my wife likes it), no bass at all. The FiiO5 makes her player sound so much better, it's like night and day.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #1,189 of 1,737
compare size!

235380872_o.jpg

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #1,190 of 1,737
I'm guessing an e5 would give a nice boost to my s-Jays using either walkman phone, minidisc walkman or cheapo mp3 player as source?

Would it help my Xonar D2 soundcard driving Goldring DR50 Goldring NS1000 or Creative Aurvana Live! full size headphones? Maybe that's expecting too much?

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #1,191 of 1,737
I just bought a Fiio E5 - it works fine while it is charging or disconnected from the charging power source - no significant noise, and it drives my headphones quite well.

But, when the E5 is fully charged and connected to the power source, the output has a very noticeable 140Hz hum (I checked the frequency against a tone generator), not 60Hz as one would expect from a US A/C line source. Most noticeable when the input is silent or low, but still audible even with the input at moderate levels.

I also tried it plugged into 3 separate power sources - a good-quality USB hub, a MacBook Pro (both connected to its charger, and running off its battery), and a standalone iPhone A/C->USB charger.

I've googled for this problem, and found some mentions of hum, but not this specific problem. Has anyone else run into this problem? If you haven't, can you test yours to make sure (easiest if there is no sound input into the E5, and see the note on testing below).

I plan to use this primarily at my desk, to power studio headphones, so I'd much rather be able to leave it plugged in, rather than unplug it when I want to use it.

Note for testing: even if it's fully charged when you connect it to the power source, it will take a few seconds or minutes to realize it's charged, and switch off charging (when powered on and plugged into power, the light changes from blue/red to blue only when it decides it's fully charged). I don't get the hum until it switches off charging mode.

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #1,192 of 1,737
dac or dap connected to desktop computer is just probably not a good idea, unless your souerce's audio out is noisefree (like macbook).
I'll receive my fiio5 in a couple of days (hopefully) and will try this out. I'm curious. But I think it'll have the same hum as yours.
fiio5 doesn't seem to be really for desktop use.
proper desktop amp for studio headphones, if source is computer-->better to use DACs capable of optical interconnect imo.
or if not a desktop amp, a better portable amp would the the job as well...

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #1,193 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh.
So not only does MP4 nation NOT KNOW HOW TO PRINT MY ADDRESS PROPERLY on a package, it's been a month since they sent me an email saying 'Please reply and let us know what you want, if no reply is given within the next 7 days we will issue a refund per our return for refund policy.', and nothing has been returned to me. They have also not responded to my emails, in which I ask if they even put the correct address on the package. They are also charging me a $5 restocking fee (taking from my refund), which is utter ******** if they are the ones at fault.

that doesn't sound really good does it?
bigsmile_face.gif
hope I wont have any trouble with getting mine.
I ordered from china through ebay tho..

does anyone know if any of the fiio5s are faulty at arrive? did this happened to anybody ?

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #1,194 of 1,737
I have only heard of one person having one fail, and they bought it used.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #1,195 of 1,737
I have to say this amp has almost no frickin distortion, I can plug in my HD 580's turn the volume up all the way and no distortion at all, unlike many other portable amps i have experimented with. For the money it is a bargain and it really surprised me with it's tiny size.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #1,196 of 1,737
can this amp drive the D2000 to good sound? ive tried a few times, sounds good but there is still ssssssibilance so i may have not heard D2000's full potential yet.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #1,197 of 1,737
I find the bass boost helps my grado SR-225 a lot without covering up any of the mids and highs. The bass boost doesn't seem to affect anything but bringing more oomph

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #1,200 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by daghastlybeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a LOD cable for iPod make a large enough difference to be worth it using an E5?

I am kind of new to this whole thing, but that is what I do, and it sounds great.
biggrin.gif

I am sure that it would sound great just going out of the regular jack, but the basic principle behind using an LOD, and an external amp is that the external amp is better than the internal one. This amp must be better than the one in the ipod, so I am sure that it would be worth it

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back