Fiio E18
Nov 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #631 of 2,308
  I see a lot of issues with it for the first people that got it :frowning2:

Anyone get the cell phone charging feature to work?

All the other functions for me are working.

Everything works as supposed for me. In fact, I found some surprises like that it doesn't need drivers to be recognized in Windows. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  EDIT: Or maybe it is the same driver than the E07K or E17... That would be odd... 

The powered HUB is necessary also if the E18 DAC don't requires external power as mentioned several times in this thread?...

We don't know yet... Somebody needs to try. At the moment, it doesn't work with stock Nexus 5.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #632 of 2,308
Just as an FYI, full charge with the optional wall plug was 6 hours for me.

I'm returning mine. I can't get the phone charging option to work, and after 14 hours of listening, and comparisons, it sounds worse than if I plug my headphones directly into my phone. (MetroPCS GS3)

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #633 of 2,308
Using the E18 as an external DAC/Amp for a laptop or desktop computer was pretty seamless. It took only a few minutes to get up and running and there were no hiccups. I think the driver is probably loaded into the ROM, so when you plug it in, the ROM is read and the drivers are installed. Well, something along those lines. It sounded great too! Great experience so far. Seems to be the biggest limiting factor will be Android and what phone a person is using, but then again we kind of saw that coming. The E18 is a bit of a fringe product, but so far it's delivering some awesome listening experiences. 

I am for sure hearing a difference with it on versus going straight to my phone. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #634 of 2,308
  Just as an FYI, full charge with the optional wall plug was 6 hours for me.

I'm returning mine. I can't get the phone charging option to work, and after 14 hours of listening, and comparisons, it sounds worse than if I plug my headphones directly into my phone. (MetroPCS GS3)

Sounds similar to my first experience with the unit. Moving to a 4.3 based Android ROM fixed it for me, but that may not be something you want to do. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #635 of 2,308
  Anyone get the cell phone charging feature to work?

All the other functions for me are working.

Works for me, Verizon Galaxy S3. Flip the E18 switch to charge, turn on the E18 and plug the same connector in as if you were using it as a DAC, use the connector labeled USB, not the power connector.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #636 of 2,308
^yup, that's what I did. Nothing. The phone doesn't even recognize a USB device when I switch to charge.

contacting micca store, I'm not ordering another one. Just for a refund. 

With the quality control issues on this product, who knows how many I'll have to go through to get a properly made product.

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #637 of 2,308
  ^yup, that's what I did. Nothing. The phone doesn't even recognize a USB device when I switch to charge.

contacting micca store, I'm not ordering another one. Just for a refund. 

With the quality control issues on this product, who knows how many I'll have to go through to get a properly made product.

Sorry to hear of your problems. So far I'm OK, one day into it. Sounds great.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #639 of 2,308
  I'm really impatient to get my hands on the E18 and begin my tests.
James: there is a possibility that the device arrives here in Europe (Italy) before the end of November?

I can understand you. I had a very impatient week while it arrived. Comparing it right now DAC vs DAC with the ODAC and it holds very very well. I love this little thing.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #640 of 2,308
I can understand you. I had a very impatient week while it arrived. Comparing it right now DAC vs DAC with the ODAC and it holds very very well. I love this little thing.

The volume control is not digital right?

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #642 of 2,308
  I'm really impatient to get my hands on the E18 and begin my tests.
James: there is a possibility that the device arrives here in Europe (Italy) before the end of November?

yes

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #643 of 2,308
As an update for me: 

The 4.3 update fixed the issue for my AT&T S4 so the E18 works now with it. Unfortunately lost my root during the process though.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #645 of 2,308

I used CF Auto Root again, installed SuperSU from the Play store, and got root back without any issues.

To keep us from having to scroll back through the thread please tell us your..

Phone make/model:
carrier:
Android version:
baseband version:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back