Fiio E18
Nov 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #482 of 2,308
Interference itself makes it rather useless already, since the interference is MUCH louder than the music itself.
It also causes it to stop functioning for whatever reason... no idea why.  Perhaps out-of-spec signal through some sort of self-protecton circuit?

I don't understand how a device marketed for cell phones, made in Asia (same GSM network technology), is not properly shielded from such interference.  

Anyone know of a way to shield it??

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #483 of 2,308
  In the meantime, I'm excited enough about the E18 that I hope to make a decent contribution with the resources available to me. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I'm a mobile tester and my work will be getting a load of new devices soon for a project that I'm on. With a little luck, I'll be able to try it out on some or all of them, but this will depend on several factors.

It would be awesome if somebody could test it with Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #484 of 2,308
  Just got mine in the mail this morning, and here the initial observations:

Samsung Galaxy S3 USDM (ATT network)
Otterbox case for phone
ATH-M50

Plugged it in, phone recognized it as USB device, and immediately started working.  play/ff/rw buttons all work fine on the e18 at first.

However, after listening a bit, I started noticing interference.  After some investigation, this was NOT a USB/line-out issue, but rather an issue with the cell phone signal and antennae power.  I initially had the e18 strapped to the back of my phone, and after walking out of my apt, I got REALY LOUD interference.  Mustic stopped playing, and the e18 buttons stopped working.  Sometimes turning e18 off and back on would fix this and music would resume.  However, most of the time I had to unplug the e18 and re-plug the USB connection in order to get it working again.  But when I do this, the phone would default to 0 volume, and I would have to turn up the phone's volume again, which is a pain.

Separating the e18 and the phone (as much as it could be done with the short cord) solved the interference and e18 stop-functioning problem, but this is VERY inconvenient, as there's nowhere for the setup to fit in any pocket.  I'd have to get a much longer USB cord and put the devices in 2 separate pockets.

I tried using foil as a barrier between the e18 and the phone, but that didn't work either.  =(

Help please!!  

How did you get it that fast? I've never had any interference problem with either E07K or E17. You'll have to wait till I get the E18 myself to be able to compare.

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #486 of 2,308
James from Fiio said (I'm pretty sure in this very thread) that there is interference on GSM phones. 

That said, I wouldn't expect much, I think there is something wrong with your device. Perhaps a bad ground. 

I am hoping that this doesn't crop up on my device (GSM, but just for LTE, CDMA for 3G, fingers crossed). Will know soon, as UPS is set to deliver it tomorrow. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #487 of 2,308
The E18 is designed specifically to operate with Android Devices/Mobiles. There should be NO interference in a correctly designed product. I am sure FiiO have designed the E18 correctly. So isn't the implication either a faulty mobile or a faulty E18?
Frank

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #488 of 2,308
I seem to recall a similar problem being discussed about another of Fiio's USB DACs a while ago. The problem then was caused by having the USB charging set to on on the DAC. Is it possible this is something similar?

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #490 of 2,308
Works wonderfully with my Note2 but I guess everyone already knows that.

im charging it at home now so I didn't have it for my commutw to work this morning. I miss it already and I went for so long without one before.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #492 of 2,308
  The E18 is designed specifically to operate with Android Devices/Mobiles. There should be NO interference in a correctly designed product. I am sure FiiO have designed the E18 correctly. So isn't the implication either a faulty mobile or a faulty E18?
Frank

Again, the Fiio rep, in this very thread, said that there is interference with GSM devices. 

EDIT:

I seem to recall a similar problem being discussed about another of Fiio's USB DACs a while ago. The problem then was caused by having the USB charging set to on on the DAC. Is it possible this is something similar?

Here ya go:

4, There will have some noise if you are using GSM phone,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628254/fiio-e18/390#post_9920687

The amount of noise described above, however, sounds excessive. I still suspect a bad ground or some shielding that didn't get applied properly

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #493 of 2,308
The noise feels like it's excessive.  I can understad some slight buzzing, but a screeching BBZZZZZZ  BZZ BZZ BZZZ BZZ is not "minor" by any means.  Usually when I move to a new area and the phone has to connect to the next tower, or my phone is sending/receiving data, etc.  I'm going to experiment with some shielding materials.  Foil doesn't work though.  This is sucky.

As for how I got it so fast, Micca store got it for sale yesterday, so I ordered it ASAP.  Micca store is about a 1hr drive from my location, so UPS delivery was next-day.  ^^

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #495 of 2,308
As for how I got it so fast, Micca store got it for sale yesterday, so I ordered it ASAP.  Micca store is about a 1hr drive from my location, so UPS delivery was next-day.  ^^

So envy man, not for the buzz though, I'm really sorry for that ABS hope you get a solution.

Works wonderfully with my Note2 but I guess everyone already knows that.

im charging it at home now so I didn't have it for my commutw to work this morning. I miss it already and I went for so long without one before.

Looking forward for your impressions. Specially interested in of you find the buzz aznatama is describing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back