Fiio E18
Nov 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #466 of 2,308
got one as well from miccastore, thanks for the link! hopefully will work with nexus 5 when i upgrade next month. Also have been looking at the astell and kern ak10 but the was worried the cost of that dac wasn't worth twice the price nor do i really use any apple products to justify its price. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #467 of 2,308
  Just ordered one too. Pretty stoked! 

Kinda disappointed by the amp section though. I really wish it was more on the range of E12. (I don't mind paying more for the E18 if it were the case)

Now its more of a debate of whether the DAC and lower output amp combo (E18) is better than just a higher output amp (E12) for my Mad Dogs

Is power output the problem you feel?

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #468 of 2,308
I got one as well!

Quote:

Kinda disappointed by the amp section though. I really wish it was more on the range of E12. (I don't mind paying more for the E18 if it were the case)

Now its more of a debate of whether the DAC and lower output amp combo (E18) is better than just a higher output amp (E12) for my Mad Dogs

I use Mad Dogs as my portable phones, so curious to know if the E18 can drive them properly.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #469 of 2,308
Quick question: Does E18's DAC-function work at all with android-tablets or is this only for smartphones?
Fiio's list of compatible devices is quite short for now. I am mainly interested about E18's compatibility with Nexus 7 (2013) tablet.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #470 of 2,308
  Quick question: Does E18's DAC-function work at all with android-tablets or is this only for smartphones?
Fiio's list of compatible devices is quite short for now. I am mainly interested about E18's compatibility with Nexus 7 (2013) tablet.

I ordered mine last night (with expedited shipping) for use with my Galaxy S4, but I also happen to have a Nexus 7 2013. If nobody has an answer for you by the time I get mine, then I'll try it out and report.

I've been lurking on this thread for a few months now, so it's the least that I can do :) If I seem to forget, then feel free to ping me.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #471 of 2,308

I ordered mine last night (with expedited shipping) for use with my Galaxy S4, but I also happen to have a Nexus 7 2013. If nobody has an answer for you by the time I get mine, then I'll try it out and report.

I've been lurking on this thread for a few months now, so it's the least that I can do :) If I seem to forget, then feel free to ping me.

Soooo, my ODAC worked flawlessly with both my note 2 and my nexus 10 (both root and with custom kernels), so chances are that this device would work with smartphones and tablets, if not stock, at least with custom kernels. I'm expecting it to work with the note 10.1 2014 I'm getting at some point this week. I'll report back as well.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #472 of 2,308
I might be able to test several other devices in the next couple of weeks or so, but can't make any promises.

However, I can definitely give it a try on the Nexus 7 (rooted but stock), Nexus 7 2013 (stock), and Galaxy S2.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #474 of 2,308
Sweet! By the way, welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet. O_o

Hah! Yes, thank you :)

I've been wading in rather tepidly, trying to find a way that I can keep going without becoming someone that feels like they need to spend $10k. But, my local shop (Echo Audio) promises that they can set you up with something great for something in the hundreds, rather than thousands of dollars; guess we'll see :) I got a pair of Sennheiser IE60 earbuds, and actually liked them better than the more expensive alternatives.

In the meantime, I'm excited enough about the E18 that I hope to make a decent contribution with the resources available to me. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I'm a mobile tester and my work will be getting a load of new devices soon for a project that I'm on. With a little luck, I'll be able to try it out on some or all of them, but this will depend on several factors.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #475 of 2,308
Nov 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #476 of 2,308

I've done a little looking at the specs of the e12 and e18.   There does seem to be a huge difference....on paper.

According to Fiio: the e12 is rated at >880mw @ 32 ohm......the e18 literature states it's amp produces >300mw @ 32 ohm

That is just shy of triple the power.  Quite a difference.   But just out of curiosity I looked at up the specs on my home amp, the Little Dot MKIVse.   It's output is rated at 100mw @ 32 ohms.

So, my conclusion is:  either power ratings are vastly different between amplifier designs and I just don't understand them enough to draw any meaningful information from them or they are simply one of those stats that only engineers need worry about and means very little to the guy who just wants to plug in his cans and groove to some music.

Perhaps someone who understands these thing better than myself would like to respond and light a candle of knowledge in my cave of ignorance.

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #477 of 2,308

I've done a little looking at the specs of the e12 and e18.   There does seem to be a huge difference....on paper.

According to Fiio: the e12 is rated at >880mw @ 32 ohm......the e18 literature states it's amp produces >300mw @ 32 ohm

That is just shy of triple the power.  Quite a difference.   But just out of curiosity I looked at up the specs on my home amp, the Little Dot MKIVse.   It's output is rated at 100mw @ 32 ohms.

So, my conclusion is:  either power ratings are vastly different between amplifier designs and I just don't understand them enough to draw any meaningful information from them or they are simply one of those stats that only engineers need worry about and means very little to the guy who just wants to plug in his cans and groove to some music.

Perhaps someone who understands these thing better than myself would like to respond and light a candle of knowledge in my cave of ignorance.

In these cases the power rating is the Vrms squared divided by the impedance. The E12 can deliver a higher output voltage and thus can deliver more power. The higher output voltage of the E12 is why it can drive higher impedance headphones. For lower impedances and lower power, the sensitivity of the cans/IEMs determines if the power or voltage is that the amp can deliver is sufficient.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #480 of 2,308
Just got mine in the mail this morning, and here the initial observations:

Samsung Galaxy S3 USDM (ATT network)
Otterbox case for phone
ATH-M50

Plugged it in, phone recognized it as USB device, and immediately started working.  play/ff/rw buttons all work fine on the e18 at first.

However, after listening a bit, I started noticing interference.  After some investigation, this was NOT a USB/line-out issue, but rather an issue with the cell phone signal and antennae power.  I initially had the e18 strapped to the back of my phone, and after walking out of my apt, I got REALY LOUD interference.  Mustic stopped playing, and the e18 buttons stopped working.  Sometimes turning e18 off and back on would fix this and music would resume.  However, most of the time I had to unplug the e18 and re-plug the USB connection in order to get it working again.  But when I do this, the phone would default to 0 volume, and I would have to turn up the phone's volume again, which is a pain.

Separating the e18 and the phone (as much as it could be done with the short cord) solved the interference and e18 stop-functioning problem, but this is VERY inconvenient, as there's nowhere for the setup to fit in any pocket.  I'd have to get a much longer USB cord and put the devices in 2 separate pockets.

I tried using foil as a barrier between the e18 and the phone, but that didn't work either.  =(

Help please!!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back