Fiio E18
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #361 of 2,308
Oct 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #364 of 2,308
IF the E18 can bypass any Android phone with USB OTG... Does it mean it will work with PSP 2002 as well since it support USB OTG as well!

E18 cannot bypass any phone. It has a list of compatible phones, which currently I think are only the HTC one and some Samsung devices. Unless I missed some reading on this thread, e18 is NOT a be all end all USB dac compatible with any Android 4.0 device supporting USB otg. It is simply designed for use with android phones, and fiio is making efforts to accurately report compatibility with a growing (hopefully) list of android devices.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #365 of 2,308
E18 cannot bypass any phone. It has a list of compatible phones, which currently I think are only the HTC one and some Samsung devices. Unless I missed some reading on this thread, e18 is NOT a be all end all USB dac compatible with any Android 4.0 device supporting USB otg. It is simply designed for use with android phones, and fiio is making efforts to accurately report compatibility with a growing (hopefully) list of android devices.

But according to their website, it says "E18 can work with smartphones with USB OTG function"

Hopefully James from FiiO will clarify this hehe... I have a PSP 2002 laying around I was thinking of using it as my source with the E18 xD

Thanks for the reply! I do agree with you :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #366 of 2,308
For supported models check FiiO's product page: http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049935442&MenuID=105026002
Currently they list only Galaxy s3,s4,note 2,HTC one, Sony l36h.
Other models might work or they might not.

As I understood it when I was at the FiiO stand at the Hong Kong fair they will release new firmwares with more phone models supported in the future.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #370 of 2,308
Hopefully it supports android tablets with USB OTG too.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #372 of 2,308
I doubt its the E18 supportig anything. I believe its just a list of phones that have native usb otg host on them and who have usb plugs that fit the E18.

I would actually bet the contrary: that those listed as compatible by Fiio actually ARE the only devices Fiio has tested that do work with the E18. There are numerous phones that have USB OTG and work with flash drives, keyboards etc, but do not work with USB DACs. It has something to do with the driver support of specific models and their specific android ROMs installed. For further information, look at the head Fi forums titled "Android phones and USB DACs" as this thread lists many MANY android devices, and what DACs people have gotten working on them. In that thread people have noted certain DACs working with a phone and others not, so it seems not all USB DACs work with a specific phone even if one does. An example of this is the Fiio E7 and E17. With some Samsung galaxy models, the E7 works on android 4.1 but not 4.2, and then the E17 works on 4.2 but not 4.1 (I may have the android versions flip flopped, but the point remains the same). So that specific phone supported a DAC with one version of android, but then when updated to a more current android version, that same DAC ceased to work with the phone.

So all this information leads me to believe that while the E18 is designed for android devices/phones, it will not be compatible immediately (or ever) with ALL android devices that you can otherwise plug a flash drive into (I.E. if the Android device supports USB OTG). A lot more can be learned in the other thread i mentioned above about general android devices and USB DAC support. I hope I've helped someone with this disorganized post..

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #373 of 2,308
I would actually bet the contrary: that those listed as compatible by Fiio actually ARE the only devices Fiio has tested that do work with the E18. There are numerous phones that have USB OTG and work with flash drives, keyboards etc, but do not work with USB DACs. It has something to do with the driver support of specific models and their specific android ROMs installed. For further information, look at the head Fi forums titled "Android phones and USB DACs" as this thread lists many MANY android devices, and what DACs people have gotten working on them. In that thread people have noted certain DACs working with a phone and others not, so it seems not all USB DACs work with a specific phone even if one does. An example of this is the Fiio E7 and E17. With some Samsung galaxy models, the E7 works on android 4.1 but not 4.2, and then the E17 works on 4.2 but not 4.1 (I may have the android versions flip flopped, but the point remains the same). So that specific phone supported a DAC with one version of android, but then when updated to a more current android version, that same DAC ceased to work with the phone.

So all this information leads me to believe that while the E18 is designed for android devices/phones, it will not be compatible immediately (or ever) with ALL android devices that you can otherwise plug a flash drive into (I.E. if the Android device supports USB OTG). A lot more can be learned in the other thread i mentioned above about general android devices and USB DAC support. I hope I've helped someone with this disorganized post..

The whole point of the E18 is to work with more devices. USB audio is built in to 4.1 natively, but there isn't a trigger for it. That's what the thread your referring to is all about, some companies, like Samsung, have built it in to their firmware to watch for a USB DAC. ANY device should work with the right software, running Jelly Bean. Or a piece of hardware that triggers the USB audio, which I am pretty sure is built in to this. Hence the review here on Head-Fi fron ClieOS that indicates this works with his phone, while other USB DACs do not. 

In fact, I am convinced, just haven't taken the time to do the digging because my phone has it built in, that with a SQLite you could trigger USB audio on any JB device with OTG support, you would just have to find the right 0 to flip to a 1 in the database.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #374 of 2,308

The whole point of the E18 is to work with more devices. USB audio is built in to 4.1 natively, but there isn't a trigger for it. That's what the thread your referring to is all about, some companies, like Samsung, have built it in to their firmware to watch for a USB DAC. ANY device should work with the right software, running Jelly Bean. Or a piece of hardware that triggers the USB audio, which I am pretty sure is built in to this. Hence the review here on Head-Fi fron ClieOS that indicates this works with his phone, while other USB DACs do not.

In fact, I am convinced, just haven't taken the time to do the digging because my phone has it built in, that with a SQLite you could trigger USB audio on any JB device with OTG support, you would just have to find the right 0 to flip to a 1 in the database.

Thanks for the clarification. I just read (again) his review and now agree with you. Sorry for the babbling earlier, ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back