Fiio E18
Nov 10, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #1,981 of 2,308

I own the X5,e12 and e18 and the e18 is the best FiiO product i own. I use it often and it is highly underrated on this site.

Definitely underrated. Can't believe I didn't go ahead and buy it sooner.

Started out with the e5 long ago and tried an x3 but last year started buying more expensive stuff from other manufacturers hoping for bigger improvements. Now I can't believe how good this sounds even compared to my iBasso, iFi, and A&K equipment (good stuff and didn't spend a ton on them but wonder now if I've wasted time/money). Was just looking at the new Chord Mojo too but it lacks the e18's bass boost and navigation buttons. No doubt it sounds great but I refuse to go without those buttons/switches now on any portable device I get.

The e18 sounds so good with the mk3 that I haven't been able to sleep the past couple days (even now I should've been asleep hours ago).

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,982 of 2,308
I was able to remove that ******* velcro off my phone and the E18. It was really impressive but it obscured the camera and made the whole package unnecessary large. Also made taking pictures impossible without removing the entire back cover. I'll probably re-buy it but attach it to a phone case this time to be able to actually remove the E18 when I do not use it.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,984 of 2,308
  I was able to remove that ******* velcro off my phone and the E18. It was really impressive but it obscured the camera and made the whole package unnecessary large. Also made taking pictures impossible without removing the entire back cover. I'll probably re-buy it but attach it to a phone case this time to be able to actually remove the E18 when I do not use it.

I put the velcro on a protective case not the Note 4 cover. I have a 2nd cover with no velcro.

Can take pics with e18 or ifi DSD nano but not DSD micro

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,985 of 2,308
I put the velcro on a protective case not the Note 4 cover. I have a 2nd cover with no velcro.

Can take pics with e18 or ifi DSD nano but not DSD micro

And that's what I was supposed to do. I'll buy a back cover and another velcro.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,987 of 2,308
So I got my new Nexus 6p in and just starting messing with the E18.  The 6P is USB-C so I got some little adapter plugs and a new cable.  The phone doesn't recognize the device with the adapters but works PERFECTLY with the USB-C to Micro cable I got off amazon.  I believe it's a "cable matters" brand.

Listening to my DT-770's now and it sounds great.  It worked as soon as I plugged it in with no static on Tidal and Google Play.

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,988 of 2,308
redface.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,989 of 2,308
Kc06a sound awesome on it, lvl 3 on low gain is Loud AF. I love how the skip buttons still work when Google play is in the background and I'm doing something else, don't have to keep going back to your music app.

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #1,991 of 2,308
Really disappointed with my E18 right now.  It's unusable with my Galaxy S5 atm, crazy distortion and static, it's obviously not working correctly.  I keep trying resetting the switch and off/on, no luck.  It works fine my computer in USB for some reason.

Hopefully on Wednesday when my Nexus 6P gets here it will work correctly, seeming like a waste of money right now, I only bought it for the phone.

I need it to work with Google Play Music/Spotify

Try an music player with direct USB support (Neutron, Hiby, Onkyo, etc). You describe exactly the same problem I have with galaxy tab s after lollipop update. My s4 with lollipop don't have the same issue.

Decided to go the velcro route.. I bought the industrial grade velcro that should support the weight of the E18 easily. Unfortunately, velcro turned out to be so industrial grade that I can't take split the two devices apart anymore...

I have the same problem with my E07K and E17 with the Samdung S5. I usually have to plug/unplug/plug several times before the staic/distortion goes away.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #1,994 of 2,308
After browsing photos in this thread I noticed that some os the users use angled micro usb interconnects. After an internet search I've found two sources of such cables. Cheap chinese cables (6$) and more expensive Venturecraft ones (30$). Since I don't really believe that digital cables make that much of a difference I'd rather go for the chinese ones. Unfortunately eBay cites 2 to 6 weeks of shipping time. So my question is, how long did You guys wait for the cables? I'd rather not use the cable that comes with the E18 as it protrudes too far from the phone/dac combo.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,995 of 2,308
I've had no problem using cheap interconnects from China.

Delivery time to Europe does vary a lot. I find most packages arrive within 4 weeks, occasionally less, but it can sometimes be up to 8 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back