Fiio E18
May 20, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #1,906 of 2,308
Thr E18 works USB natively (no special apps required) WIth the following devices using official released Lollipop. Not root, no nothing.
Nexus 7 2013 LTE Tablet, Android 5.1.0
Verizon/Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Android 5.0

May 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,908 of 2,308
  Awesome.  Thanks for your help @StanD.  Can I extend the OTG cable that comes with the E18?  I'm looking to integrate this into my car stereo.  

You can use an OTG cable as in the below image and then plug in a regular USB cable for the rest of the distance. That's how I connect my smartphone to a desktop DAC.

May 24, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,910 of 2,308
I use my 42 Ohm headphones (Marshall Monitors) and as a source I use Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (Newest android version- 5.1 I think), and Ive immediately heard that the smartphone isnt powerful enough for my headphones, so I bought FiiO E06 amplifier, which gives me enough volume. But I still think the sound isnt good enough, theres still something like clipping with some tracks (or albums) and a bit of hiss (Im not sure if Im calling it correctly).

Yesterday I tried FiiO E12 which helped with my problems quite a lot. But When I read about E18 in here, its ability to convert the signal into analog and better quality sound. And also the possibility to charge your smartphone with it (I was planning to buy portable charging unit). I want to buy this one, because it seems the best choice for me.

Do you guys think it will be a good buy for me?

Or should I just go for E12 or even smaller and cheaper E11K? But if E18 means better sound than E11K or E12 Im buying it! :)

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,911 of 2,308
Kindly help me out here. I am kinda newbie in headfiers community.
My source of listening till now is note 4. Few months back i started using fiio e06 did notice some differences.
I can attach it to my phone or ipod touch as an amp.
I have ath m50x, bose oe2, ath ckx9is.
Music mostly edm, house, trance etc.. and some times blues or jazz.. i really appreciate if its clean sounding with some bass and well textured.
I m thinking of buying e18, will it be able to drive hd650 or dt880 pro 80 ohms which i am hoping to buy in next 6 months..

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #1,912 of 2,308
Kindly help me out here. I am kinda newbie in headfiers community.
My source of listening till now is note 4. Few months back i started using fiio e06 did notice some differences.
I can attach it to my phone or ipod touch as an amp.
I have ath m50x, bose oe2, ath ckx9is.
Music mostly edm, house, trance etc.. and some times blues or jazz.. i really appreciate if its clean sounding with some bass and well textured.
I m thinking of buying e18, will it be able to drive hd650 or dt880 pro 80 ohms which i am hoping to buy in next 6 months..

E18 is not the solution you'd want for your type of music, the sound are more closely-packed and doesn't possess a wide soundstage. You are better off getting a dap such as the DX90 and maybe a portable amp to go with it to drive the higher impedance headphones.

That said, E18 is still a pretty decent portable dac especially for its price.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,914 of 2,308
Hi guys!

Just pickes up a Fiio e18. Connects perfectly with my LG G3 and N7.
I have one question though. When ist conected via otg I can still controll the volume via the phone and activate variois eq apps on the phone wich then affects the sound. Is this normal?
Im totally new at this (as you probably understand) and I thought that eq apps on the phone only would control the phones internal dac?

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,915 of 2,308
Hi guys!

Just pickes up a Fiio e18. Connects perfectly with my LG G3 and N7.
I have one question though. When ist conected via otg I can still controll the volume via the phone and activate variois eq apps on the phone wich then affects the sound. Is this normal?
Im totally new at this (as you probably understand) and I thought that eq apps on the phone only would control the phones internal dac?

EQ that is within most Android apps will work with an external USB DAC.  At least it does for me.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,916 of 2,308
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
  EQ that is within most Android apps will work with an external USB DAC.  At least it does for me.

Ya for me too!

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #1,917 of 2,308
I do find that the System EQ that Samsung baked into Lollipop 5.0 for the Galaxy Note 3 sucks when used with a USB DAC. For examle if I use the Google Music Player and select EQ instead of the Android EQ, up comes Samsung's Sound Alive EQ. When selecting the advanced mode the 2 sliders for the lowest frequencies do nothing and the EQ itself seems screwy. It works correctly with Buletooth or Analog connected headphones. I have the Google All Access streaming subscription so I'm kind of pissed off. Now for the workaround.... I use the BubbleUpNP app to stream my Google music account to the MediaMonkey which can work as a DLNA renderer and has its own EQ. This works nicely and both apps are just a few bucks. When using Neutron connected to BubbleUpNP, well Neutron has bugs as it shows the same song listed many times in a row in albums, boo hiss. Or I can use my old Galaxy S3 phone as a DAP as it's still on Android 4.4.2 which has EQ that works correctly on USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back