Fiio E18
Mar 4, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,876 of 2,308

No, it won't work because coax-out is, well, S/PDIF coax-out, and therefore it is a digital signal intended for another DAC.

On the other hand, if you plug the cable into the line-in / line-out jack (the one next to the headphone-out jack), it will works as just an DAC, as you wanted, to avoid double amping.

Thank you. And here I thought they were the same ports! So which means:

1. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC dac) > line-in to E18 > headphone-out (E18 amp section will be used)
2. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC) > usb/usb otg to E18  > line-out to external amp > headphone-out from external amp (E18 dac section only used)
3. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC) > usb/usb otg to E18 > headphone-out (both E18's dac+amp will be used)

Is this correct?

Though I'm still a little confused by how can I utilise the S/PDIF coax-out port of the E18.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #1,877 of 2,308
  Thank you. And here I thought they were the same ports! So which means:

1. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC dac) > line-in to E18 > headphone-out (E18 amp section will be used)
2. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC) > usb/usb otg to E18  > line-out to external amp > headphone-out from external amp (E18 dac section only used)
3. Source (Smartphone/DAP/PC) > usb/usb otg to E18 > headphone-out (both E18's dac+amp will be used)

Is this correct?

Though I'm still a little confused by how can I utilise the S/PDIF coax-out port of the E18.

Yes, those are correct.

You use the S/PDIF when you want to connect to, say a desktop DAC that doesn't support smartphone directly.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #1,879 of 2,308
  I apologise for my ignorance, but are the E12a and the E18 the same thing apart from the latter being a DAC - which I understand to mean that it can work with devices (like laptops) with a USB port?

E18 is intended as a headphone amp + USB DAC for smartphone, namely Android, but also works with PC and can be used as a standalone headphone amp.

E12A is intended to be the best sounding portable headphone amp FiiO has made so far.

So besides the difference in features, E12A is also noticeably better sounding than E18.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,881 of 2,308
@NineToTheSky

When you use the E18 via USB OTG with your Samsung, the DAC will be they high quality DAC of the E18 + its amp.
When you use the E12a, a pure AMP, you'll be using the DAC in your Samsung.

Personally I would advise the E18 then ... unless you'll also be using the AMP with other devices.

I use the E18 as DAC + Amp on my Samsung Galaxy S5, on my laptop and PC.
I use the E18 as AMP with my iPod (the very rare times I use the iPod)

Hope this can help,

Casper

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,883 of 2,308
Thanks - that does make sense. Does the E18 make a notable difference?

I use the e18 with my Note 3 and find it sounds really good with decent quality files through a variety of cans. For the cost I don't think you'll find much better with the same degree of functionality. I've been very happy with mine. The only thing I can fault is the bass boost which is just one stage and imo muddies up the sound. It's quite a warm amp anyway and already cleans up and accentuates the bass slightly.

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,884 of 2,308
I use the e18 with my Note 3 and find it sounds really good with decent quality files through a variety of cans. For the cost I don't think you'll find much better with the same degree of functionality. I've been very happy with mine. The only thing I can fault is the bass boost which is just one stage and imo muddies up the sound. It's quite a warm amp anyway and already cleans up and accentuates the bass slightly.

+1

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,888 of 2,308
I bought one to work with a newly purchased nexus 6.

It worked great

But I abandoned Android after a week and a half and went back to iPhone.

My portable rig now is

iPhone 6 plus
Onkyo HF player
Fiio e18 via usb / apple lightning camera accessory
Bose 20i headphones (I use the subway, busses and also fly for biz trips quite often)

I worked 25+ years as a career recording studio engineer (music) (and I use a Grace Designs 903 & Adam monitors in my office to play back hi res files at 192k 24bit) I have to say that the playback of hi res files via the e18 is very impressive (I love it)

Miles Davis Kind of Blue
Green Day
Nora Jones

All sound great

It's got headroom for days (so no chance of maxing out.) It's got so much power!

It also works great via my MacBook Air running Decibel to play hi res files.and is a huge leap up from the analog outs - even for using Spotify (highest quality) it's a real hike up in sound quality.

For a laptop / smart phone road warrior that can't be without music - it's definitely worth tossing in your shoulder bag. Seems to be bult like a tank too.

To me it's amazing for the price.

Great!

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,889 of 2,308
I use my E18 with my Note 4, playing FLAC files with either my Sony MK2 or the Senn M2. Everything makes me smile!!
wink.gif

Just want to know about that cable that I connect to my Note 4 to the E18.. It is a micro usb on both ends. Lately I been using the E18 with my Tab Pro 8.4, and want a longer cable. Is that cable specially wired, or can I just get a longer(1ft/2ft) micro usb to micro usb and be okay and no loss in SQ?

Thanks in advance, 

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #1,890 of 2,308
  I use my E18 with my Note 4, playing FLAC files with either my Sony MK2 or the Senn M2. Everything makes me smile!!
wink.gif

Just want to know about that cable that I connect to my Note 4 to the E18.. It is a micro usb on both ends. Lately I been using the E18 with my Tab Pro 8.4, and want a longer cable. Is that cable specially wired, or can I just get a longer(1ft/2ft) micro usb to micro usb and be okay and no loss in SQ?

Thanks in advance, 

You must use an OTG cable, not just any USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back