Fiio E18
Jan 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,036 of 2,308
I also forgot to mention that there are frequent static noise especially when you stack the phone right on top of the e18.

The static noise pattern is very similar to what you hear what gsm phones (my phone is gsm based att note 3) make through active speakers that are near.

The noise is more pronounced and persistent when you get a phone call.

If Fiio e18 was designed to work with an android smart phone it should have been thought out to prevent the static noise from cellular phone's radio signal.

Big Sigh..  

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,037 of 2,308
I use the E18 with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and PowerAmp and have no such problems. I also use it with NeutronMP and Google's Music Player (All Access) and don't have these problems.
PowerAmp has settings for Headset/Bluetooth some of which might apply, worth a shot.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,038 of 2,308
  I also forgot to mention that there are frequent static noise especially when you stack the phone right on top of the e18.

The static noise pattern is very similar to what you hear what gsm phones (my phone is gsm based att note 3) make through active speakers that are near.

The noise is more pronounced and persistent when you get a phone call.

If Fiio e18 was designed to work with an android smart phone it should have been thought out to prevent the static noise from cellular phone's radio signal.

Big Sigh..  

Originally I got some low level static when the phone switches cell towers. I've put the phone back to back with the E18 and offset them vertically which decreased this. If I don't stack them, I don't get any static. Yes that was annoying. but not frequent for me.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,039 of 2,308
  I use the E18 with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and PowerAmp and have no such problems. I also use it with NeutronMP and Google's Music Player (All Access) and don't have these problems.
PowerAmp has settings for Headset/Bluetooth some of which might apply, worth a shot.

Have you used it while you were walking and the phone/dac were sitting in a pocket or a bag?

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,040 of 2,308
  Have you used it while you were walking and the phone/dac were sitting in a pocket or a bag?

Yes walking as well as sitting in a bus, Both in a pocket as well as bag, no issues. Sometimes I sandwich My phone and E18 as well as an E12.
Phone>-----USB----->E18-Lineout>----->E12>------>Cans

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #1,042 of 2,308
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #1,044 of 2,308
  No you don't know or no it doesn't work? Have you tested it?

No it doesn't work  - because it is technically impossible due to the hardware implementation in all the iPod except Touch (also excluding iPhone and iPad via iOS7 + CKK). You can ask Apple the same thing and they will tell you the same answer. The only way to extract digital signal out of an iPod is to implement the Apple MFi chip in the amp/DAC, which you can only get from Apple's licensing. FiiO already applied it a few years ago but Apple refuses to grant them the license, and thus FiiO can not support digital out from iDevices. FiiO already posted about this in the forum quite a few times over the year, so you are not the first person to ever ask the same question. There is a reason why the few amp/DAC that do have the MFi chip is sold for $500+, simply because it is a very exclusive tech that Apple has so far keep it under very tight grip, and ask for a very high return.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,046 of 2,308
Guys do you think e18 will drive my Momentums nicely? I still can't decide if I will get fiio x3 or e18 instead.

Easily. I have both and they work well together, The Momentums are pretty easy to drive.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,048 of 2,308
BTW. did anyone try the E18 DAC togetehr with the C&C BH2 (or BH)?  
Thanks

I've been comparing them to each other, but I've not tried them together. I'll try it tomorrow if I remember (feel free to remind me if I forget).

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #1,050 of 2,308
  Hope to get my FiiO E18 today; to couple with my Shure SE846 and my Galaxy S4 (kitkat).

BTW. did anyone try the E18 DAC togetehr with the C&C BH2 (or BH)?

Thanks

Hi.
Do U have upgrade S4 to kitkat yet? Or this custom firmware? I read that note 3 with kitkat don't work with E18.
Can U write your impression about sound? Cuz i have the same rig^ but still waiting my E18.
TNX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back