Fiio E18
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #901 of 2,308
Got my E18 on the sell list if anyone's interested. While it offers excellent sound on the go, I mostly used it in tandem with my MDR-7550 which I recently sold. With the RE400, the difference is not as apparent as with the Sonys. The RE400s are just not that source picky so if anyone is interested at a discounted rate, they're just about 2 months old.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698434/fs-fiio-e18-kunlun-portable-android-dac-amp-works-with-certain-apple-products-as-well-as-pc

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #902 of 2,308
Just got my e18 and connected to S4 (4.3) usb otg and it works perfectly, sounds great but one thing I have noticed; if I leave the usb cable plugged in between the 2 devices my S4 is drained really fast when nothing is playing and e18 turned off.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #903 of 2,308
  Just got my e18 and connected to S4 (4.3) usb otg and it works perfectly, sounds great but one thing I have noticed; if I leave the usb cable plugged in between the 2 devices my S4 is drained really fast when nothing is playing and e18 turned off.

There's a place under settings that you can see which apps are draining your battery the most, this includes the screen. Once there you might be able to track down the cause. Perhaps your music player app is upset that the DAC is not fired up and it's expecting it to be working. It's time to put on the thinking hat and track down the vampire.
You can try using the "Battery Monitor Widget" app. I have the pay for Pro version. The freebie is probably enough but I like to pay for the apps that I make good use of.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #904 of 2,308

I think anything plugged into the S4 will drain battery, regardless if it's ON or OFF.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #905 of 2,308
  There's a place under settings that you can see which apps are draining your battery the most, this includes the screen. Once there you might be able to track down the cause. Perhaps your music player app is upset that the DAC is not fired up and it's expecting it to be working. It's time to put on the thinking hat and track down the vampire.
You can try using the "Battery Monitor Widget" app. I have the pay for Pro version. The freebie is probably enough but I like to pay for the apps that I make good use of.

GSam Battery Monitor is a great android battery app :) free version or donate for pro.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #906 of 2,308

+1 . I find myself in the same situation. I would exit the music app, lock the phone and turn off the e18. But the battery still drains heavily overnight.

I haven't checked, but I assume that there is a process searching for OTG devices since the cable is plugged in.

ninja edit: either that, or extra power is supplied to the USB port since a connection is detected on the port regardless if devices are switched on/off.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #908 of 2,308
I think that would be the best solution. I am not sure if battery monitoring apps will detect USB OTG protocols.

I am only assuming here, that the S4 USB port uses ADP protocol.

~~ADP allows an OTG device, Embedded host or USB device to determine attachment status in the absence of power on the USB bus. This enables both insertion based behavior and the possibility for a device to display attachment status. It does this by periodically measuring the capacitance on the USB port to determine whether there is another device attached, a dangling cable or no cable. When a change in capacitance, large enough to indicate device attachment is detected then an A-device will provide power to the USB bus and look for device connection. A B-device will generate SRP and wait for the USB bus to become powered.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #909 of 2,308
My Note 2 is already on Android version 4.3 and I just received a notice for a software upgrade. Has anyone made an upgrade above 4.3? Is it possible that I might have problems if I update (it can't be reversed once it's done).

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #911 of 2,308
I want to ask about E18, i read that some people having problems with android version 4.3, so what about when higher versions comes up on for example galaxy S3 phone, do i need upgrade firmware for device or wont need do anything and it will works?

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #913 of 2,308
Too bad that my Galaxy S4 and possibly other  Android phones and tablets are capped at 16bit/44.1kHz intern aswell asextern over USB. So what is the point of in using a DAC/Amp that can go upto 24/96 or 24/192. Is there a way around the 16/44.1 limit on my Galaxy S4.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #914 of 2,308
  Too bad that my Galaxy S4 and possibly other  Android phones and tablets are capped at 16bit/44.1kHz intern aswell asextern over USB. So what is the point of in using a DAC/Amp that can go upto 24/96 or 24/192. Is there a way around the 16/44.1 limit on my Galaxy S4.

You won't hear difference between 16/44.1 and anything other, what's the point of listen that high res files on phone?

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #915 of 2,308

This is a good question.
ALL Android devices got this limit at 16/44.1? Or is a software limit that can be removed somehow?
Anyone has tested Hi-Res files?

PS: my E18 is coming: tomorrow it seems to be the right day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back