Fiio E18
Dec 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #826 of 2,308
I wondered whether owning the FiiO X3, makes buying the FiiO E18 (Kunlun) obsolete? Since the X3 holds the components of the well-appreciated E17 amp and offers the possibility to act as a DAC (and OTG).

I would use it with my laptop, galaxy s3, galaxy note 2014

thanks!

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #827 of 2,308
I wondered whether owning the FiiO X3, makes buying the FiiO E18 (Kunlun) obsolete? Since the X3 holds the components of the well-appreciated E17 amp and offers the possibility to act as a DAC (and OTG).

I would use it with my laptop, galaxy s3, galaxy note 2014

thanks!

Pretty much. My X3 didn't work at all with my laptop. Otherwise, I would have stuck with it.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #828 of 2,308
Well, I've been living with the E18 a little over a week now. Source is a US Samsung g3s, flac files ripped from CDs, power amp player, USB OTG to E18, hi fi man re400s. I believe it is a first gen E18. No problems were noted in using the USB OTG cable! Regrettably, I can not say I am super impressed with the E18. I have about 50 hrs on it and compared with the straight phone jack it is quite veiled over the upper registers. It may need more time to find its voice but that is how it sounds now. More troubling is the problem I am having with the bass boost at low volumes. At vol 3 or less a high pitched tone is generated along with the bass boost. I have written Fiio but have not received a reply. Finally, you should note the size precludes the use of the camera when strapped up. I had not thought about it until I set it up for use. If things change or I hear back from Fiio, I will write it up.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #829 of 2,308
So, I suppose everybody has noticed that the E18 cannot be bought anymore in any official distributor. The E18 has on the other hand already shipped to at least three spots in the States.

Does anybody know when they will become available, either for buy or pre-order?

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #830 of 2,308

Pretty much. My X3 didn't work at all with my laptop. Otherwise, I would have stuck with it.

I think it is necessary then, considering I'm using my laptop / Samsung gs3 as sources to...  Small side note: at the moment I have neither (X3 nor E18), but I want to buy one, depending on whether the X3 at least offers the functionality that the E18 offers (in terms of DAC/AMP besides the DAP functionality)...

Well, I've been living with the E18 a little over a week now. Source is a US Samsung g3s, flac files ripped from CDs, power amp player, USB OTG to E18, hi fi man re400s. I believe it is a first gen E18. No problems were noted in using the USB OTG cable! Regrettably, I can not say I am super impressed with the E18. I have about 50 hrs on it and compared with the straight phone jack it is quite veiled over the upper registers. It may need more time to find its voice but that is how it sounds now. More troubling is the problem I am having with the bass boost at low volumes. At vol 3 or less a high pitched tone is generated along with the bass boost. I have written Fiio but have not received a reply. Finally, you should note the size precludes the use of the camera when strapped up. I had not thought about it until I set it up for use. If things change or I hear back from Fiio, I will write it up.

That's strange, you're saying the E18 does not enhance the sound quality? Wat kind of headphones do you use? I would also place this in the FiiO sponsor topic. 

Quote:
So, I suppose everybody has noticed that the E18 cannot be bought anymore in any official distributor. The E18 has on the other hand already shipped to at least three spots in the States.

Does anybody know when they will become available, either for buy or pre-order?

It's available in The Netherlands from the official dealer... http://hdphns.com/nl/fiio-e18-kunlun.html

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #832 of 2,308
I thought I’d let ya’ll  know what I found out about using the Fiio E18 with a Galaxy S4.  The only way that it will work is to buy the "USB Audio Recored Pro” from Google Play Store, $6.71.  Once purchased and installed you must plug in the E18 and turn it on before opening the USB Audio Recorder Pro program.  Once that is accomplished the Fiio E18 works great but only with that USB program.  The program itself is not really a music player for the masses, its a recording program that you can use to playback files.  It’s hard to use but sounds much better than Neutron or the samsung music app, all be it one song at a time with no thrills.  

​Given all the limitations and the hassle factor I'm thinking I'll return it but the jury is still out.  

Good luck to all!

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #833 of 2,308
Thank you. I mean the new version though. I suppose that what these guys have in stock is still the first release, which is the one I have. Time to upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

mmm... please elaborate about 'the new version'? Didn't know there was one...

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #835 of 2,308
  mmm... please elaborate about 'the new version'? Didn't know there was one...

hahah legit one page back: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628254/fiio-e18/810#post_10100356

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #836 of 2,308

I've been using an E18 with a US galaxy S3 and it works really well. I hang an E12 off of it and can drive an HD600 or HE-500 rather loudly. The E18 does rather well with the HD600 but will not cause pain, haven't tried it direct to the HE-500's.......wait......where's my HE-500's....not enough juice at the high gain setting and max volume to get real loud although in a pinch you can use it. The E12 is rather good, even though it's a portable.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #837 of 2,308
Nvm.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #838 of 2,308
lol just curious what are some other competitors for this product? And is there somewhere that I can see all the devices confirmed compatible with this? Thanks! :)

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #840 of 2,308
  lol just curious what are some other competitors for this product? And is there somewhere that I can see all the devices confirmed compatible with this? Thanks! :)

I think the choices of a combined portable dac/amp that works with Android phones are limited. There are many amps but not combined with a dac too. And then there is the VAMP, which is probably better but quite a bit more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back