FiiO E18 Review
Dec 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #16 of 449
Make a list girls and boys. Ill be able to formally finish the review when i get to my temporary regional station. But I wont have any Fiio comparisons or others until late January when I get back home.

Edit:
Unboxing and General Usage video (which is already availble on Youtube) will be added to this review later today. I forgot to add them initially.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #17 of 449
Smoother isn't better IMO and I definitely find the E18 to be an upgrade with respect E07K and E17. It's sharper and drier maybe, but that's the kind of sound I prefer. Some people mistakes the tightness on the bass with warmth. The E18 is much more precise in the bass than the laters as well. I suppose it's a matter of opinion but I A/B'ed the E18 with the O2/ODAC combo in the Q701 and the difference were not that big. I can perhaps say that the DAC on the E18 is indeed slightly warmer that the ODAC, compared from the aux output.

A piece of equipment that is definitely worth every single cent.

EDIT:

What I found slightly disappointing was the build. The chromed bezel is a bit loose and I expected an improvement with respect the E07K that feels sturdy and solid. This is probably not the case in the E18.

Regarding usability, this is honestly ridiculously simple to use. I've never had a single problem with it. It has a lot of functionality, but that is an extra and definitely not a flaw. In fact, I greatly appreciate not having the LED screen and the digital volume. You can operate the device without even looking to it.

Finally, after the upgrade that Fiio has already announced for January 15th, this device is going to be even better. I expect them to fix the little quality control issues they are having at this point. I will definitely be selling mine to get the new version.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #18 of 449
One thing to always note and remember about a review is that is is meant to inform. They typically also feature a reviewers own opinion on the sound as a type of personal but authoritative bias to it.

The non-linear sound of the E18 isn't necessarily bad as you mentioned. Some people with some equipment may favor this a lot more. This is true. My review scheme informs, but also adds personal opinion to it. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 449
  god... i wish fiio just used the same WM8740 chip in the e18. they are using the TI PCM1795 in the e18 (tho according to this website, it's an upgrade) http://soundnews.ro/2013/12/02/8653/

i think most reviewers had the same opinion as you, mister talking pandabear. that the e18's sound isn't as good as the e17. booo :frowning2: it looks soo money

I missed this post this morning.

I think that FiiO using new chips is a very good thing.

It sets a precedent for exploration and new products. 

FiiO has claimed - in the past - that they are the largest buyer of Wolfson chips in all of China. This is a nice thing, but does show a reliance to default to a tried and true chip, rather than true experimentation.

I have yet to test DAC to DAC yet. 

I will test the WM8740 and the BurrBrown (TI) DAC side by side in a week or two. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #20 of 449
One thing to always note and remember about a review is that is is meant to inform. They typically also feature a reviewers own opinion on the sound as a type of personal but authoritative bias to it.

The non-linear sound of the E18 isn't necessarily bad as you mentioned. Some people with some equipment may favor this a lot more. This is true. My review scheme informs, but also adds personal opinion to it. 

Agree, and you know I always enjoy your reviews. I just wanted to give my own opinion. Good job as always Bowei. :)

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 449
Agree, and you know I always enjoy your reviews. I just wanted to give my own opinion. Good job as always Bowei.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Ashade, its always a good feeling knowing that some people are fans 
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #22 of 449
I'm considering getting the Fiio E18 or the HRT microstreamer for portable/android use. The Fiio E18 has a lot more features, that's clear. Would you expect the sound quality being similar on those 2 devices? (I own a E07k)

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #23 of 449
I'm considering getting the Fiio E18 or the HRT microstreamer for portable/android use. The Fiio E18 has a lot more features, that's clear. Would you expect the sound quality being similar on those 2 devices? (I own a E07k)
I have a microstreamer and it works fine with my note 3. Do be aware that the volume control for this is digital only though. I am aware and understand perfectly that the microstreamer features digitally controlled analog attenuation. This works 100% correctly when my HRT is on my pc. But when on my android note 3, both the line out and headphone amp plug are attenuated when controlling the volume on the phone (the only way). So that means that the headphone amp of the HRT is at 100% always, and you are sending it an attenuated digital signal from the android device. So to have a bit lossless signal on the hrt, the android has to be at full volume. So that sucks. I have my HRT line out to an e12, and use it that way. It sounds great and I like it. But the HRT alone on an Android phone may not be what you originally thought of prior to reading this.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #25 of 449
I've had this for 10 days or so...I've paired it up with my HTC One and listen through Etymotic HF5s on my daily commute.  The transformation is remarkable...I'm hearing things I've not heard before, and really makes listening to my collection a joy again.  There's been a bit of a learning curve remembering to use the volume control on the unit rather than the phone when I need to change it, but apart from that it seems quite straightforward.  My only gripe (there has to be one) is that it comes with a pouch that is open only at one end...if it had a hole in the bottom to put the cable through, it would be much more useful...actually I've unpicked the sowing to let me do this...and at the top end, the velcro loop is directly over the headphone socket...surely this should have been thought through a bit and then the case would have been really useful.  Apart from that...absolutely love it....

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #27 of 449
  The E18 looks awfully tempting, however I do like to compact size of my current E6.

The E6 does not contain a DAC and its sonic capabilities are a far cry from what the E18 can do. Size vs, ears, you have to make the choice. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #28 of 449
This is a relatively huge thread but I have one question. I currently own a Galaxy Note 3 and it's paired with V-Moda M-100. I use Neutron MP for playback. Will the E18 work for me and what else cable-wise do I need to buy?

Thank you.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #29 of 449
The E18 looks awfully tempting, however I do like to compact size of my current E6.
like stan said. The E6 is a far cry from the e18

This is a relatively huge thread but I have one question. I currently own a Galaxy Note 3 and it's paired with V-Moda M-100. I use Neutron MP for playback. Will the E18 work for me and what else cable-wise do I need to buy?

Thank you.

This thread isnt that big

Fiio has a list of devices known to work with the e18 on their site. They also recommend using an app whose name evades me.

Check it out

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #30 of 449
like stan said. The E6 is a far cry from the e18
This thread isnt that big

Fiio has a list of devices known to work with the e18 on their site. They also recommend using an app whose name evades me.

Check it out

That app is for devices that support OTG but not USB audio, I have a Samsung US Galaxy S3 which fully works with the E18. So I can use PowerAmp, NeutronMP or stream with Spotify or Google Music Player with All Access. The E18 also has a Coax SPDIF Out so I can use an external DAC, that isn't directly supported by the S3 but has a Coax SPDIF input. The E18 is a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back