FiiO E18 Review
Feb 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #32 of 449
I down with the e18. I user it on my s4. It blew me away the first tone I heard it. I use poweramp as an app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

"Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet"

Great to hear. Most use a setup similar to what you are doing. 

E18 has some good sound, but I prefer the E12's a bit better

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #33 of 449
  "Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet"

Great to hear. Most use a setup similar to what you are doing. 

E18 has some good sound, but I prefer the E12's a bit better

The E12 also has more muscle (mW) and can just get away with driving an HE-500.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #34 of 449
Anyone using the E18 with a phone running stock Kitkat (not CM stuff)? I read that Kitkat does not support dac over USB (although on a sony blog it says the upcoming Kitkat for Xperia supports it which will be great for my Xperia Z Ultra)..
I want to make sure because I dont want to but it now then not be able to use it after upgrading.
Thanks!

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #35 of 449
I'm thinking about purchasing this cuz it seems to make for a great portable DAC as well as something I can use at home with my laptop.  I have a set of Swan powered bookshelf, would I be able to plug them into the FiiO as well?

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #36 of 449
  I'm thinking about purchasing this cuz it seems to make for a great portable DAC as well as something I can use at home with my laptop.  I have a set of Swan powered bookshelf, would I be able to plug them into the FiiO as well?

What inputs do your SWAM bookshelf's use?

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #38 of 449
  http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-d1080-iv-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&cPath=21_24&products_id=200&

There's a link to them.

Probably

1. Includes 1 meter stereo RCA-to-RCA cable
  2. Includes 1 meter 3.5mm phone plug-to-RCA adapter cable
  3. - See more at: http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-d1080-iv-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&cPath=21_24&products_id=200&#sthash.WS3WpdsM.dpuf

It says this which should mean yes if you use that adapter cable. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #40 of 449
I'm using E18 with KitKat on HTC One - no problems so far. However it does not work when USB debugging mode is on. So make sure you turn it off (it should be off by default but still worth mentioning).

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #41 of 449
Smoother isn't better IMO and I definitely find the E18 to be an upgrade with respect E07K and E17. It's sharper and drier maybe, but that's the kind of sound I prefer. Some people mistakes the tightness on the bass with warmth. The E18 is much more precise in the bass than the laters as well. I suppose it's a matter of opinion but I A/B'ed the E18 with the O2/ODAC combo in the Q701 and the difference were not that big. I can perhaps say that the DAC on the E18 is indeed slightly warmer that the ODAC, compared from the aux output.

A piece of equipment that is definitely worth every single cent.

EDIT:

What I found slightly disappointing was the build. The chromed bezel is a bit loose and I expected an improvement with respect the E07K that feels sturdy and solid. This is probably not the case in the E18.

Regarding usability, this is honestly ridiculously simple to use. I've never had a single problem with it. It has a lot of functionality, but that is an extra and definitely not a flaw. In fact, I greatly appreciate not having the LED screen and the digital volume. You can operate the device without even looking to it.

Finally, after the upgrade that Fiio has already announced for January 15th, this device is going to be even better. I expect them to fix the little quality control issues they are having at this point. I will definitely be selling mine to get the new version.

I'm satisfied with E18 but it's my first Amp/DAC combo and being impressed with the sound quality I'm wondering if it's worth to buy O2/ODAC? To use them both not to replace E18.
Can you tell me whether there is a significant enough difference between those 2 to justified purchase? In your opinion...
For now I'm using it only with IEMs and I'm not planning to buy any hard-to-drive headphones either - so there's plenty of power and that part is not important to me.
I thought that buying ZO2.3 or ZO3 (when it's available) would make more sense (for the fun of it and using them as a combo with E18) than owning 2 similar products unless there actually is a significant difference.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #42 of 449
  I'm satisfied with E18 but it's my first Amp/DAC combo and being impressed with the sound quality I'm wondering if it's worth to buy O2/ODAC? To use them both not to replace E18.
Can you tell me whether there is a significant enough difference between those 2 to justified purchase? In your opinion...
For now I'm using it only with IEMs and I'm not planning to buy any hard-to-drive headphones either - so there's plenty of power and that part is not important to me.
I thought that buying ZO2.3 or ZO3 (when it's available) would make more sense (for the fun of it and using them as a combo with E18) than owning 2 similar products unless there actually is a significant difference.

I would save my money for a more significant purchase, like a set of cans and use the E18. A more meaningful upgrade to the E18 is going to cost plenty more. Do you use your E18 with an Android device? OK, I spotted it, "KitKat on HTC One." That means you have to be careful and get a fancy DAC that still works with your HTC.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #43 of 449

It really depends on your headphones.

If you are using IEM's sub $150, I wouldn't bother upgrading to O2/ODAC or MM bundle.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #45 of 449
  I would save my money for a more significant purchase, like a set of cans and use the E18. A more meaningful upgrade to the E18 is going to cost plenty more. Do you use your E18 with an Android device? OK, I spotted it, "KitKat on HTC One." That means you have to be careful and get a fancy DAC that still works with your HTC.

I use it with HTC One and with my notebook. If I buy O2/ODAC I'll use it with laptop and E18 with my smartphone. I don't believe I need more sound quality on the go to than E18 provides - it's a great device for that in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back