Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Mar 10, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #361 of 516
  So I thought I was ordering the alpen 1 for my DT990 Pros(250ohm) and what i actially received was the alpen 2(the website has alpen1 pictures, alpen1 specs and nowhere do they write alpen2).
Anyway, since the alpen2s seem to go only up to 150 ohm opposed to the alpen1 300ohms what do you guys think i should do, send it back immediately and look for something else or stick with the alpen2? Im kinda scared to even turn them on, maybe they wont accept it back.

FiiO always understates their specs.  It'll put enough power into a 300 ohm Senn HD600 to power it adequately (I like the combo anyway), and there are 3 gain settings.  What I'd suggest is simply to try it (carefully) and see if it powers adequately.  If it doesn't, send it back.  I never got the chance to hear the original E17, but love my E17K.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #362 of 516

FiiO always understates their specs.  It'll put enough power into a 300 ohm Senn HD600 to power it adequately (I like the combo anyway), and there are 3 gain settings.  What I'd suggest is simply to try it (carefully) and see if it powers adequately.  If it doesn't, send it back.  I never got the chance to hear the original E17, but love my E17K.

Hmm,

I'll test it tomorrow when im home from uni. I don't really have anything to compare it against. My tv speakers are hooked to a HK3770 and it has a headphone jack, but since its primary function is driving big loudspeakers im not sure how much headphones would benefit from it. (sorry if even considering that has made any of you facepalm, im kind of a beginner audiophile, the DT990 pros are my first entry-levelish headphones)

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #363 of 516
The important measure is not what anyone else thinks, but how they sound to you :)

So try it and see.  if you are getting enough power, you're going to love what you can do with the tone controls 
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #364 of 516

The important measure is not what anyone else thinks, but how they sound to you :)

So try it and see.  if you are getting enough power, you're going to love what you can do with the tone controls :wink:

Such a tough spot to be in. So how would I know if im getting enough power, and that there is still hidden potential that would be fixed with just giving more power. Lets say I find what I hear a good/decent upgrade, then knowing that they MAY sound EVEN BETTER with just more power would bug the hell out of me.

Also, I read from another thread on this forum that the DT990s are notoriously hard to drive making me worry even more.

I also just realized that my posts "tone" might come off as whiny or angry, sorry about that.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #365 of 516
No - you're fine mate.  I can understand the anguish of those sorts of decisions. What I'd do - if you have a full sized stereo receiver around - is try the DT990 with that, and then compare it with the FiiO (realising the receiver will have a lot more power and may sound tonally a lot warmer).  If the FiiO still sounds good and you're happy with it - keep it.  If it doesn't return it.

Again the measure of the machine ultimately is if you enjoy it 
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #366 of 516
So I thought I was ordering the alpen 1 for my DT990 Pros(250ohm) and what i actially received was the alpen 2(the website has alpen1 pictures, alpen1 specs and nowhere do they write alpen2).
Anyway, since the alpen2s seem to go only up to 150 ohm opposed to the alpen1 300ohms what do you guys think i should do, send it back immediately and look for something else or stick with the alpen2? Im kinda scared to even turn them on, maybe they wont accept it back.

I think FiiO psoting the same specs both E17 and E17K. Except different features.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #367 of 516
I've got a question.

Got a pair of Oppo PM-3's for a while now and wanted that little extra, (cause my phone and PC couldn't) so I bought the E17k. Liking them so far, but I noticed you can put them on +10 bass, not that I am a basshead, but how bad is it for your cans if you listen to it? Could this mess up these headphones, because it can really make them vibrate.

Sorry if this is a weird question, or already asked, just want to know this.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #368 of 516
That's probably a question that only the manufacturer could answer. I guess it would depend on how much they are physically vibrating, and what volume you have the set at. Why would you want to have them like that though? I'd find it strange for you to enjoy that especially also saying you are not a basshead :wink:

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #370 of 516
Hiii.....i was using fiio e17k for 3 months without any problem but for last two three days i am hearing mild crackling sound randomly while listening to music. I tried all my headphones to check and they all produce this sound. When i unplug the e17k and use laptop jack, i face no issues. Also the crackling noise is gone when i use my dac/amp in Aux configuration. I installed drivers again but it did'nt make any difference. Did anyone face this problem? any solution to this problem? Thanks....:)

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #371 of 516
  Hiii.....i was using fiio e17k for 3 months without any problem but for last two three days i am hearing mild crackling sound randomly while listening to music. I tried all my headphones to check and they all produce this sound. When i unplug the e17k and use laptop jack, i face no issues. Also the crackling noise is gone when i use my dac/amp in Aux configuration. I installed drivers again but it did'nt make any difference. Did anyone face this problem? any solution to this problem? Thanks....:)

By reading your post I believe you are using Windows - If possible Try with a different PC and it better if the spare PC also run in other OS like Ubuntu or MAC (latest version of this OS fully compatible with E17k and don't need any driver installation) .

If the Clicking Sound is there them you need to contact Fiio for claiming Warranty.   

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #372 of 516

By reading your post I believe you are using Windows - If possible Try with a different PC and it better if the spare PC also run in other OS like Ubuntu or MAC (latest version of this OS fully compatible with E17k and don't need any driver installation) .

If the Clicking Sound is there them you need to contact Fiio for claiming Warranty.   

thanks for the response...i will definitely try that, but i am now thinking this might be occurring due to new drivers i installed...this whole issue started after installing Asio drivers for running dsd files....i tried to change the settings in windows from 16 bit to 24 bit but win 7 was not showing 24 bit option, so i installed asio drivers..... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back