Fiio E17 Review
Aug 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 43
Hey guys. Don't diss me for this, but this thing is ridiculously powerful when paired with my MDR XB1000's. THIS ONE SICK MOFO!!!!
It's the first mobile amp that is able to clip my cans hitting an ungodly 20Htz drop by the UKF Con.DJ Mix. 

I'm tickled with the amp. 

Now i'm looking for a pair of headphones with a sound stage equal to that of my MDR XB1000's but can handle more power with less chance of clipping...

Could someone redirect me to a forum for this please. Much would be appreciated.

~Thanks ~
~Usagi~

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #19 of 43
I got the E17 last week and I've been evaluating it with my computers as a DAC and my ipod touch as a headphone amp. Overall I'm impressed with the payback quality, particually with 16bit 44.1 FLAC and Apple lossless files however I have some concerns with playing hi res audio files such as 48 and 96Khz 24 bit audio. First, when I set the bit depth and frequency using MS Windows 7 such as when I was playing back a 48khz 24bit audio file, the E17 indicated that it was receiving a 48khz 16bit audio signal from the USB port. I tried downloading and installing the Fiio ASIO beta driver V01 but it didn't fix the problem. Has anybody had this problem and if so is there a fix for this. Also I'm hearing clicks and pops when playing back using Monkeymedia 4.0.3. Any suggestions will be qreatly appreciated. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:
I got the E17 last week and I've been evaluating it with my computers as a DAC and my ipod touch as a headphone amp. Overall I'm impressed with the payback quality, particually with 16bit 44.1 FLAC and Apple lossless files however I have some concerns with playing hi res audio files such as 48 and 96Khz 24 bit audio. First, when I set the bit depth and frequency using MS Windows 7 such as when I was playing back a 48khz 24bit audio file, the E17 indicated that it was receiving a 48khz 16bit audio signal from the USB port. I tried downloading and installing the Fiio ASIO beta driver V01 but it didn't fix the problem. Has anybody had this problem and if so is there a fix for this. Also I'm hearing clicks and pops when playing back using Monkeymedia 4.0.3. Any suggestions will be qreatly appreciated. 

It's worth buying a cheap Xonar and feeding the E17 over S/PDIF optical

That way you get the Xonar realtime equaliser and Dolby Headphone effects (which are invaluable for gaming and movies) as well as up to 192KHz 24-bit quality and probably better clock timing etc. than USB

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #21 of 43
Hey guys, ive been thinking about getting this DAC/Amp for a while now.
The thing is, since my phone is not usb otg enabled, does that mean I can only use the amp and not the dac?
Im pretty new and obviously confused.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:
Hey guys, ive been thinking about getting this DAC/Amp for a while now.
The thing is, since my phone is not usb otg enabled, does that mean I can only use the amp and not the dac?
Im pretty new and obviously confused.

yes, but the amp section of this is good enough to justify purchasing it to be used entirely as an amp.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:
yes, but the amp section of this is good enough to justify purchasing it to be used entirely as an amp.

thanks for the repy to help a newbie.
since my source, is basically my phone, do u think its more beneficial if i get a seperate DAP to match the e17?
im debating among the rocoo P/BA, the Samsung Galaxy players, and the HF-601 Slim/602.
Or should i just get an iPod of somesort and be done with the whole amp/dac problem, since the LODs are easy to get.
If so, which iPod model?

Thanks again guys, so much help to me!

Cheers!

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #24 of 43
No, the ipod will work fine. Depending on what you're driving, you may not even need the amp, the ipod might work fine by itself.

Edit: just realized you said phone. Depends, what kind of phone do you have?

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #25 of 43
This is not supported by otg via android for the moment, but it's great as just an amp.

I have an iPod classic and it's great.

Good luck

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:
This is not supported by otg via android for the moment, but it's great as just an amp.
I have an iPod classic and it's great.
Good luck

Quote:
No, the ipod will work fine. Depending on what you're driving, you may not even need the amp, the ipod might work fine by itself.
Edit: just realized you said phone. Depends, what kind of phone do you have?

well as of right now i have a regular android phone and the sound quality is pretty bad.
i just got my audiofly af78 and i want to get something that can really bring out the sound using these IEM.

if i got the ipod classic, using the FiiO L9 LOD, i still wouldnt get to use the DAC of the E17, would I?
I had read that somewhere and i just want to make sure.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #27 of 43
With a LOD you just bypass the iPods internal amp, but even then the sound quality really is very good

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:
Thanks.  I figured it out.  I was trying to increase the volume using the max volume setting vs just from the top menu -- duh.

Both the e17 and q701s are brand new so both need lots of burn in but so far sounds good just listening at old AAC files burned at 128 quality years ago via iTunes.
Hoping it will get better...

It won't until you get that 128 garbage replaced with higher quality (256 minimum).

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:
It won't until you get that 128 garbage replaced with higher quality (256 minimum).

128 AAC isn't THAT bad. it's comparable to 192 MP3. Not the best, but certainly usable. If you have the ability to re-rip them though i would.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #30 of 43
Nothing like good lossless files for good headphones :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back