Fiio E17 or Ibasso D12 for Yuin PK1 and Sennheiser HD25?
May 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tedv

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here but have the following question.

I own a Sennheiser HD25 and a Sansa Fuze (v2 rockboxed) and a Cowon J3 player

I'm looking for good ear bud's (not in-ear) and found that the Yuin PK1 are highly recommended so I'm planning on buying them. I read that they require a more powerfull amp though.

Thing is, I was also thinking about buying a headphone amp/DAC combo like the Ibasso D12 or Fiio E17 to hook it up to my stereo (Cambridge Audio Azur 340 with Monitor Audio BX2) once in a while (optical via media player) or have better output from my laptop.

So, if you don't mind, I have some questions :)

1) Will the Sennheiser HD25 benefit from a headphone amp like the Fiio E17 or Ibasso D12 when playing from the line-out on the Sansa Fuze or headphone out from the Cowon J3?

2) Can the Sansa Fuze or Cowon J3 drive the Yuin PK1 to a decent sound level or do I really need a headphone amp?

3) The Ibasso D12 really appeals to me, more then the Fiio E17 (more traditional/analogue style). Would there be a substantial differnce in sound quality with the Sennheiser HD25 or Yuin PK1 between those two amps. Am I overlooking another AMP/DAC combo with similair specs?

For what's it worth, I play mostly FLAC, varying from classic to rock.

Thanks,
Ted

May 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 2
I have owned half a dozen amps/dacs now. I bought the e17 as a portable/backup amp and dac. I sold my desktop amp over a month ago and I'm just not motivated to buy anything else right now. It sounds that good!! For the price, features and sound...it's tough to beat this little guy. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back