FiiO E17 + iPod Shuffle 4th gen
Jun 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zrlan7710

New Head-Fier
I've been really enthusiastic about PC hardware and sound hardware right now and I have a huge interest in music (especially instrumental), so I plan to buy the E17 and the HD 598 for desktop use.

I currently use a Klipsch S3 and an iPod Shuffle on-the-go.

Now, my problem is that I worry if my iPod Shuffle can handle the E17, since I want to taste great music while jogging. I don't mind a decrease in battery life in my iPod, but are there any issues that I should know about?

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I've been really enthusiastic about PC hardware and sound hardware right now and I have a huge interest in music (especially instrumental), so I plan to buy the E17 and the HD 598 for desktop use.

I currently use a Klipsch S3 and an iPod Shuffle on-the-go.

Now, my problem is that I worry if my iPod Shuffle can handle the E17, since I want to taste great music while jogging. I don't mind a decrease in battery life in my iPod, but are there any issues that I should know about?

If you just want a desktop DAC and amp then look elsewhere. If you want an all in one device that fits a universal sound signature, newbie friendly, various inputs for a good price then keep on reading about the E17.

I am a headphone person and have never used Klipsch S3's so I won't know if you care to know if the sound is a lot different or not. But as I always say, how much increase there is depends on the person and the equipment.

There have been many users attaching a smaller device to a E17. Usually with two side velcro(get easy peel off types). Not sure where you keep the Shuffle but if you wear it on your arm..or somewhere then the bulkier E17 may have a problem with your current setup so get an idea of what it will be like before you buy it. I recommend going to the FiiO site and go to the E17 page. And then with a ruler and pencil, sketch out the length and width and then height dimensions of the device to get an idea.

Can handle it? It will have no problem "handling" it. 

There generally isn't a decrease if we compare it side by side theoretically(as we can't have the exact same device and time with same time and usage)  IF you use an LOD. And LOD is recommend as it bypasses the devices internal headhone amplifier and headphone jack and its accompanying circuitry. As the amp is bypassed battery life theoretically and does from experience increase.

Any issues? Mainly size, how you are going to bring it around. A bulkier setup as you will have an shuffle with an LOD and then an E17 with your headphones wire poking out of the E17.

IF you want to learn more, read this thread(not all of it)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought

Read pages 50-80 and then 110-130 for the bulk of the info.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 3
When I go jog, I plan to put my gear in my right-side pocket as I always do. Also, my own priority right now is my desktop-use, so I have no money for a good audio player or earphones on-the-go.

Anyway, thanks for the thought, and advice; I'll read those pages :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back