Fiio E17 + BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohms = Great. Would adding the Fiio E09 Headphone Amplifier make my setup better?
Dec 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ProblemChild

New Head-Fier
I did alot of reading and here and decided to order the Fiio E17 and the BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO's 250 OHMS. I got everything in a couple of days and have been quite pleased with the setup while using my laptop. The Fiio E17 is very clean sounding, no hiss and seems to be a great device for the $120 I paid for it. My previous setup was a set of Beats Solo straight to the laptop. Results were disappointing. I pulled the trigger on the DT770 Pros and Im blown away by the clarity and crispness. I love them.

Simple question, will the Fiio E09 amp improve the sound as well as give me more volume? I have the E17 at 54 out of 60 and it is quite comfortable for extended listening. Would the E09 push the DT770's cleaner and safer? Is running the E17 at near max going to prematurely damage the unit itself or the headphones?

Thanks in advance guys...

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 8
I have this exact setup - DT770 Pro 250 ohm with the E17 and the older E9 desktop amp. As you indicated, the E17 does a great job with the DT770 250 ohm cans all by itself, but I took the plunge and bought the E9 as well. Note that I picked mine up almost a full year ago before the updated E09K began shipping. The desktop amp (E9 in my case) definitely drives the DT770s easier, but I'll admit to not hearing a lot of difference between it and the E17 by itself. I often use the E9 with the E17 docked so I can use the USB input - you must dock the E17 if you want to use the USB input on the E9 (or newer E09K). 

When listening with just the E17, I typically have the volume at between 40 - 50 out of 60. When using the E9, the volume knob is anywhere from 1/3 - 2/3rds of full range. It really depends on the music I'm listening to - some music just demands more volume, while other music is best enjoyed at a much more subtle level.

I've been debating on whether I want to sell my E9 and upgrade to the newer E09K, but I personally don't think I'll benefit from it much. If I'm going to upgrade my desktop amp, I'll probably go with something much higher end like the Darkvoice 339. Mainly because I'm still looking at upgrading my cans to either the Sennheiser HD800 or the Beyerdynamic T1. Both of those will benefit from a better desktop amp than the Fiio E9.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Agent XXL for the input. What Gain settings are you using on the E17? Sounds like the E09k may be hit or miss. I agree with it being dependent on the music. Some music just needs more volume then the E17 provides.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 8
The gain setting I use on the E17 is usually 12dB, but again this depends on the music. Sometimes I have no problem listening at 6dB gain and a volume setting between 30 and 50. As for the E9 desktop amp, I almost always leave the rear panel gain switch in the high gain setting.  

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 8
Cool. I'll run the Gain at 12db and see what my ears think. After looking some more at the E09k, I'm not sure I want to be tethered to an AC outlet. I like the USB powering a lot.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 8
I am wondering the same as OP. I use a E17 to drive my k550 and I'm wondering how much of a difference quality wise will the E09k add? the k550's are only 32Ω but if there is a improvement in quality I will consider buying it.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
xStreame, with 32ohm drivers, Im not sure the E09k will make a big difference for you. The E17 should drive your phones adequately.

I am aware that my cans don't need any further amping volume wise. I am just looking for a upgrade of my current setup quality wise.

It will either be the E09k or the Bravo audio v2 tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back