FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Mar 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #901 of 2,388
  The Black Gate nonpolar caps settled in well with my 12DIY. Transparent and great transient response. 

How are they compared to the stock caps? I was going to avoid messing with caps, but if there's a huge improvement, I'll have to dig through by old BGs to see if I have those on hand.

I ordered OPA627, btw. Presently really enjoying the OPA1611. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #902 of 2,388

How are they compared to the stock caps? I was going to avoid messing with caps, but if there's a huge improvement, I'll have to dig through by old BGs to see if I have those on hand.

I ordered OPA627, btw. Presently really enjoying the OPA1611. 

I like the opa1611 as much as the 627. Oh, there is some difference not huge. I think the stock caps do fine. But, as I do use sockets for the caps, I also solder the caps in so it isn't that easy to compare. By using the sockets for the leads of the caps, I don't mess with the trace but I don't like to use just a pressure fitting for a cap. 

I get a nice transparent, dynamic open sound with the BG non polar but it was good before. I am using the 1611 and the buf634. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #903 of 2,388
I'm curious if people enjoy the opa1611 + buf634 combo better than opa604 + buf634 and why. I tried both and thought that opa604 + buf634 sounded similar but had a wider soundstage. So far, I've just tried buf634 and like opa604 and ad797 best.

I ordered some of the opamps clieos suggested in dip8 and will try them after I give the opa604 another week and then move on to the opa1611 for a week. Got to get the case ground down a bit so I don't have to leave the case open!

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #904 of 2,388
At this link below are photos detailing circuit modifications to a FiiO E12DIY to help a hearing impaired person hear their TV.

I do not have sufficient privileges to upload photos to Head-Fi.  Perhaps someone else can select a few and upload them for me.

I was hoping that these photos might encourage FiiO to keep the E12DIY in production so that other hearing impaired people might benefit.

https://plus.google.com/photos/100357577944381962948/albums/5980896241556844497

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #905 of 2,388
-SNIP-

I was hoping that these photos might encourage FiiO to keep the E12DIY in production so that other hearing impaired people might benefit.

I think the process needs to be documented & described in detail as well if you're doing this with trying to sway Fiio to continue production of these devices for the reason you've stated in mind. The pics are fine in themselves, and sure, you can say 'Someone who knows what they're doing should be able to follow from pic to pic', but let's face it, documenting any detailed process like this is a big plus.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #906 of 2,388
May, I ask, what is the nature of the modification that helps hearing impaired people? Is it just a volume boost?

I'm not quite sure what the mod does over the regular amp. Just curious.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #907 of 2,388
Hi all,

Just joined this forum today since I recently bought my first FiiO E12 DIY.

Am basically an newbie and would like to know if there is already an ideal configuration to use the Fiio E12 DIY to further enhance the Grado 80i and/or offset any of its limitations (like bass output)?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rene

Mar 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #908 of 2,388
You might want to get yourself an AD8599 or other warm op amp. Otherwise, I'm not sure which supplied combo is best as I've tuned my setup mostly for my IEMs, not my MS1i's.

I think op amps effect overall signature more than buffers so maybe open your DIY, plug in your Grados and try each op amp one by one (switching off when rolling of course). You'll soon get a sense for your favourite and you'll get to know your op amps at the same time.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #910 of 2,388
just bought e12diy yesterday, and now i'm really curious about the opamp rolling.
if i use muses (01 or 02) opamp, will it be significantly improve the sound?
i mean, does it worth for money?
if i want a bright, good treble extension with wide dynamic range sound, what opamp should i choose?

and i did some quick comparation between e12diy and vorzamp pure that i had before.
what struck me is, the e12diy with default opamp and buf cofiguration, just sounds better in my ears.
more analog sounding, wider dynamic range and better detail. while the vorzamp has better resolution. more precise and controlled sound, and in result, less exciting sound, at least for my setup

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #911 of 2,388
  just bought e12diy yesterday, and now i'm really curious about the opamp rolling.
if i use muses (01 or 02) opamp, will it be significantly improve the sound?
i mean, does it worth for money?
if i want a bright, good treble extension with wide dynamic range sound, what opamp should i choose?

and i did some quick comparation between e12diy and vorzamp pure that i had before.
what struck me is, the e12diy with default opamp and buf cofiguration, just sounds better in my ears.
more analog sounding, wider dynamic range and better detail. while the vorzamp has better resolution. more precise and controlled sound, and in result, less exciting sound, at least for my setup

To answer the question in bold above, I think definitely OPA1611 or maybe AD797 of the included op amps IMO

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #912 of 2,388

To answer the question in bold above, I think definitely OPA1611 or maybe AD797 of the included op amps IMO

thank you for the answer. but i look for another opamp, which isnt included in E12DIY.
the opamps given by fiio sound really good, but to be honest, i look for more upgrade
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #914 of 2,388
Maybe you can try AD797 with dummy adapter buffer, its sound nice in my ex-PB2 :p

i've tried the ad797. its a decent opamp, very smooth mid, less grainy than the ad8620, better resolution too, but lil bit narrower.
with 334+000 cable, the combo sounds very nice. but with piano forte ix, it becomes less exciting, less dynamic range, added too much weight in mid and low section. end of all, it is very dark sounding.

perhaps i should try the muses and ad8599 or lme49720. Anw, thanks for your suggestion ness :p

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #915 of 2,388
Just followed Clieos lead and ground / filed down the inside of my E12 DIY case to accommodate DIP8 opamps. Rocking the LM4562 + BUF634 with some classic Iron Maiden FLAC out of my X3. Took a while with a Dremel grinder + file to get it ground down enough and smoothed out. Now I can try the various DIP8 opamps I got from Element14 and the Muses I got from amizukidenshi.com. Good times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back