FiiO E12 Review
Jun 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #137 of 418
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Does the E12 only work with certain devices?

In a sense yes.

It's an amp with a 3.5mm input.

So thus it can only work with devices outputting a 3.5mm analog signal with an output format that is 3.5mm or something that can change into it.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #139 of 418
Quote:
It looks like the e07k is better if you want to listen to high resolution audio, but if you only listen to CDs or mp3 (my situation), then the e12 would be the better choice. Do I have this correct?

The E07K is better if you want to use it with both a computer as a DAC and a phone as an amp(or even a DAC if you want to risk it). 

The E12 is just an amp. But the E12's amp section is much better than the E07Ks.

Here's my video on it. Click.

They are two entirely different devices for different purposes. It's best to choose the one that fits you best.

E12 and E07K are already for 'high res' audio as these devices are already way past what is used in consumer devices. What you want to use the feautres is another issue.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #141 of 418
Quote:
Maybe it would be best to start with the E07k since I'm not sure yet how I will end up using it, and it is more versatile

It is more versatile yes. 

Any thoughts on what you may want to do with it?

--Many other devices with similar features also exist just to let you know.--

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #142 of 418
Aw heck, sorry to sound wishy washy but just not sure about this stuff... Presently I only listen to mp3 files, or maybe a CD. Could be played on my iMac or iPhone. Tonight I'm learning about the existence of "high res" audio for the first time. Mostly I listen to pop rock and some pop electronic, and am unsure if this is available or sounds any better in high res. Given this... which model would you thus recommend for me?

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #143 of 418
Quote:
Aw heck, sorry to sound wishy washy but just not sure about this stuff... Presently I only listen to mp3 files, or maybe a CD. Could be played on my iMac or iPhone. Tonight I'm learning about the existence of "high res" audio for the first time. Mostly I listen to pop rock and some pop electronic, and am unsure if this is available or sounds any better in high res. Given this... which model would you thus recommend for me?

Pop rock and electronic GENERALLY are higher mastered than other types of music. However, I've also noticed that while they are generally better mastered. They can't be mastered or get to the point of sounding absolutely fantastic.

Give that you use both your iMac and iPhone. The E07K Andes does seem to be a better bet with you.

This is my E07K Andes review thread. Please give it a read if you haven't already.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638910/fiio-e07k-andes-review-and-help-thread

High Res files for modern pop isn't usually worth it. FLAC and 320 are preferable but for different reasons. FLAC for safe keeping and quality assurance and 320kbps for storage on a portable media player(iPod, iPhone, Zune etc)

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #144 of 418
I really liked the e07k review!

However, the story gets more complicated when you start reading reviews on Amazon for some Fiio products like the E17. A number of people do not hear a difference between their PC internal sound card and the Fiio DAC products with headphones like the Grado SR80. This is really surprising to me. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #145 of 418
I really liked the e07k review!

However, the story gets more complicated when you start reading reviews on Amazon for some Fiio products like the E17. A number of people do not hear a difference between their PC internal sound card and the Fiio DAC products with headphones like the Grado SR80. This is really surprising to me. 
not all that surprising in my opinion as it is an enthusiast product.

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #146 of 418
Strange, the K550 is a very efficient headphone.

I use AKG Q701 at 0 dB gain and I don't have to turn the volume way, way up to get a decent volume level.
I hope someone else has some Mixamp experience they can add?

Mixamps are known for having background noise starting around 50% volume. They do supply a little more current than options like the Turtle Beach DSS and Creative Recon3D USB, but what's the practical benefit if it still needs to be double-amped anyway and has more background noise?

Typically people recommend setting the Mixamp's volume as high as you can tolerate the noise, and then use the second amp to control volume. Probably around 50-60%. Another thing: the more "chat" volume you give balance to, the quieter the game volume. Overall the Mixamp bugs me... It's the most expensive gaming console surround processing device, but it's also the most noisy, Astro has QC issues with their USB cables (often adding more noise), and if you make use of it's unique chat/game mix, audio suffers even more. However, it is the most frequently mentioned and recommended stand-alone DSP device because some users are in a monogamous relationship with Dolby Headphone.

By the way, for all the bass lovers, the Turtle Beach DSS like I have has a better variable bass-boost than a Mixamp.

I guess I'd say you'll just have to live with some background noise, or live with a little less volume (which will allow you better hearing long-term anyway; I'm not just talking about how much hearing damage and frequency loss you'd suffer by the time you're 35, but also each gaming session you can play longer with less ear fatigue if you hold back a bit on punchy volume levels).

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #148 of 418

Users who are viewing this thread

Back