FiiO E12 Review
Mar 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #76 of 418
Quote:
Great Review, I have one, sound is very neutral, very powerful,  I wish Bass booster was more noticeable. 

Do you have V1 or V2?

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #77 of 418
Quote:
Great Review, I have one, sound is very neutral, very powerful,  I wish Bass booster was more noticeable. 

V2 rectifies that
Quote:

Do you have V1 or V2?

V2 just went on sale. 90% V1.

It's not even V1 or V2.

It's more like the first one is now 'beta'. FiiO stated the rest will all have the 'actual' bass.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #78 of 418
Quote:
V2 rectifies that
V2 just went on sale. 90% V1.

It's not even V1 or V2.

It's more like the first one is now 'beta'. FiiO stated the rest will all have the 'actual' bass.

Oh, hang on to that! You know someone out there is going to be unhappy with the new bass and offer you untold millions for your less enhanced model:)

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #80 of 418
Quote:
Oh, hang on to that! You know someone out there is going to be unhappy with the new bass and offer you untold millions for your less enhanced model:)

i'm guessing if someone does. They will pay $120 for a used E12 beta variant.

Not millions.

My guess is that FiiO only changed it because EVERYONE was asking about it. Our forum and Chinese ones noticed it.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few I guess.

But yeah, there will be some.

500 I believe of beta variant were shipped out. Not exactly limited edition. but last I remember, FiiO has sold a million units of their entire products in total. So I guess 500 may be a bit special haha.

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #81 of 418
Quantify "EVERYONE," lol. They're really not going to be much different, the two boosts that is. I appreciated the deep deep target of the first one because it's those Freq's that are affected the most by headphone bass roll-off. AFAIK the revision is still going to boost the frequencies by the same amount, but it peaks at a higher frequency and thus affects a headphone's frequency curves before the bass roll-off. So, the effect will be that higher bass notes will be affected and more noticeable because it "stacks up" on the headphone's midbass more, but sub bass will roll off as notes approach the lowest audible (or just felt) ranges.

Meh, life's a trade off.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #82 of 418
Hello!
For a while I was considering the E17 for my DT990 Pro (which I've had unamped since I got it at Christmas) but I recently changed my mind to the E12.
I was just wondering if any of you recommend a DAC to go along with it?

Is it necessary/something I need to get right away? My Mac has an average soundcard and my PC laptop has an average/below average soundcard. (will be listening to music through the Mac more often though, and iPod)
Will a DAC help with the quality? I've been looking at the D3, but do you think I should save up and go for some more expensive?
Like the A1, would that compliment it well/be better than the D3? or should I go even higher than that? or should I look at other companies and such? would other companies' amps work with the E12?

Also, is setting up an Amp + DAC hard? is it different for each model/company/kind? Do I need to buy any cables or do they come with?
I've never done it before.

Sorry for so many (ignorant) questions, I've just been wanting all my questions answered for a while... and we all start somewhere! right?

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #83 of 418
Hello!
For a while I was considering the E17 for my DT990 Pro (which I've had unamped since I got it at Christmas) but I recently changed my mind to the E12.

Is it necessary/something I need to get right away? My Mac has an average soundcard and my PC laptop has an average/below average soundcard. (will be listening to music through the Mac more often though, and iPod)
Will a DAC help with the quality? I've been looking at the D3, but do you think I should save up and go for some more expensive?
Like the A1, would that compliment it well/be better than the D3? or should I go even higher than that? or should I look at other companies and such? would other companies' amps work with the E12?

Also, is setting up an Amp + DAC hard? is it different for each model/company/kind? Do I need to buy any cables or do they come with?

Sorry for so many (ignorant) questions, I've just been wanting all my questions answered for a while... and we all start somewhere! right?
Nope. Not hard. For higher end equipment its best to "match" sound sig of units but not really here.

Just make sure the units input what you want and output what you want. For example for your setup. You wouldnt get a dac that only inputs coaxial and outputs rca.

You could start off with no DAC. It really depends on if you personally think its worth it.

I would say to get an L9 LOD with the E12 for your ipod or iphone(you have one right?) this will allow you a cheap way to hear and decide if you want a high quality dac for your laptops

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #84 of 418
Quote:
Nope. Not hard. For higher end equipment its best to "match" sound sig of units but not really here.

Just make sure the units input what you want and output what you want. For example for your setup. You wouldnt get a dac that only inputs coaxial and outputs rca.

You could start off with no DAC. It really depends on if you personally think its worth it.

I would say to get an L9 LOD with the E12 for your ipod or iphone(you have one right?) this will allow you a cheap way to hear and decide if you want a high quality dac for your laptops

Thank you for responding!

Do you think I should get a DAC ASAP? or is it something that could wait a while?
I'm just curious to hear other peoples thoughts.

I'm still not even 100% sure on how a DAC works exactly
Like, I know it takes your digital source files or w/e and converts it to analog
But because it converts it to analog, does that make it sound better? how so?
Is it basically a sound card replacement/takes the sound from your computer/sound card and makes it better?

Do DACs make a noticeable difference? I mean, it obviously changes depending on the model/price and such - but in your experience, have DACs been really worth it to you/must have?

I'll definitely order the L9 LOD with my E12 when I do so.

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #85 of 418
Quote:
Thank you for responding!

Do you think I should get a DAC ASAP? or is it something that could wait a while?
I'm just curious to hear other peoples thoughts.

I'm still not even 100% sure on how a DAC works exactly
Like, I know it takes your digital source files or w/e and converts it to analog
But because it converts it to analog, does that make it sound better? how so?
Is it basically a sound card replacement/takes the sound from your computer/sound card and makes it better?

Do DACs make a noticeable difference? I mean, it obviously changes depending on the model/price and such - but in your experience, have DACs been really worth it to you/must have?

I'll definitely order the L9 LOD with my E12 when I do so.

IT changes from person to person. It would be best to have a 'legit' DAC as it allows you to use your own amp. the Mac has a good DAC but its amp section is coloring it.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVIrRPoDCloYcM0xVP0dWn7gJ2CScTYf&feature=mh_lolz

Here are some new commer videos.

The DAC, Amp sections are the 'audio chipset' that most manufactuers call them. If you tell their represenative or ask what DAC the system use, they won't know. We as enthusiasts just seperate out the words so yeah.

No, IT HAS TO convert it to analog. Your headphones can only play 'analog signals'. And thus to even play audio out on a speaker or headphone medium you rely on the entire audio chipset. the DAC takes the digital files and changes it to analog. But then it uses an amplifier to get it so that there is enough power and boosting to the signal for it to be heard on your headphone.

At $100 DAC's, yes they make a noticeable difference for a majority of people and newbies I have met. After that, the differences get harder for new commers to tell if at all without placebo.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #87 of 418
Hello!

I've been using the DAC in the E17 with my E12.
This works very well.

The headphone jack on my notebook sounds awful.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #88 of 418
Quote:
At $100 DAC's, yes they make a noticeable difference for a majority of people and newbies I have met. After that, the differences get harder for new commers to tell if at all without placebo.

Heck, even a $20 DAC like the ELE DAC makes a huge difference
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #90 of 418
Quote:
V1 vs V2. If I order the E12 today will it be V2 for sure. I plan on ordering from SMICorp. Any info on a V3? I can wait and keep using my E17 if thats the case.

I'm pretty sure you'd be getting V2 now. And my guess is that there won't be a V3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back