FiiO E12 Review
Mar 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #31 of 418
Quote:
As an Electrical Engineer I can tell you that any consumer product, no.......any product is always judged partially on subjective criteria.
Even circuit breakers, capacitors, resistors are designed with a little bit of visual style.
I'm sure the US military buys guns and armaments partially based on the subjective experience.
Someone has to pick it up and shoot it, carry it around, sling it over their shoulder. They may not admit it to themselves, but it just has to feel right.
It may only count for a few percentage points in the big picture, but it's always there.

Oh yeah
gs1000.gif
you should really read John Boyd's biography, if you want a look at just how subjective the military acquisition process is. (Also he was one of the most brilliant, if damaged Americans of the last century)

People buy cars partially based on the fact that brand X, model G Mark III looks good and feels good when you drive it.
The "other leading brand" just doesn't feel right to the buyer, the seating or position of the steering wheel doesn't feel right. Obviously you can quantify all of this (or most of it) but ultimately "feel" has a bit to do with it.

And why should audio equipment be any different?   
If don't like the way a piece of audio equipment sounds and feels, I ain't buyin' it.
As far as I'm concerned, a lot of audio people like a touch of distortion, a touch of colour, flavour.

The problem with objectivism (Sorry Ayn for the perversions around, using your vernacular for nefarious purposes) is it is only invoked in a subjective way. I choose either to be objectivist (emphatically not objective here as the two split ways ages ago) or choose to select my stuff due to any other number of criteria. If in fact we all had royer mic's for ears with no deviation in hearing and had the same taste in music and music was all recorded at the same studio under sterile conditions with the same eq and mix applied to the same instruments on every cut of every album by every artist, well then.........................objectivism still wouldn't work because each of our brains has been trained to perceive sound in very very different ways, that is impossible to replicate and is what largely determines our listening preferences. An opera singer will find listening to a rock track a very different experience from a 20 year old accountant with an audio hobby. Setting performance metrics is fine for baseline requisites, but to think that any deviation is blasphemy is akin to saying the Met is an unacceptable music hall because it does not sound exactly like the Sydney opera house or Beyreuth. The heart of the music lives in the differences.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #32 of 418
In case you haven't noticed ClieOS's recent impressions of the E12. I found his comments about the soundstage interesting:

Quote:
Subjective listening wise, E12 is undoubtedly a class above your typical sub-$150 portable amp and really pushing itself among the top sounding $200 portable like Leckerton Audio UHA-4, JDS Labs C421 and O2. Good news first – as far as power goes, E12 easily wins out. Control wise, it is also excellent. Even without any bass boost, bass is impactful, solid and very tight. Now comes the bad news – as far as soundstage goes, E12 really loses out. While depth is merely decent, the width feels really narrowed. Overall, the whole presentation seems to get compressed and become rather upfront. Everything seems to be more in-your-face than they should. It is not totally flat, but it is certainly far from being transparent in the overall soundstage, including separation, image and position. As a result of the narrower soundstage, everything feels much more forwarded, which also gives it a slightly edgy and grainy feeling, full of energy and excitement but lack in refinement and resolution. Strange enough it also sounds thicker, richer and more euphonic in the mid without getting congested.

I hadn't noticed that with my AD900X's because they have a very large soundstage to begin with. But I do think that I had notice it with my GR07BE's, which became more evident when I tried out my E11's with them instead.

I prefer the E12 with my AD900X's (amazing synergy), but I think I prefer my E11 with my GR07BE's (amazing synergy!).

Thoughts?

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #33 of 418
The edgy upfrontalness of it is of course noticeable. Most neutral clear sounding amps are more forward in presentation (comparatively)
After I finished my review and review period. I only used them on my IEMs.

I dont generally activelly critically listen and take notes after a review is over. I do it again when another review calls for critical listening an comparison. So not too many thoughts here

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #34 of 418
Thanks Panda man. OT completely, but I just noticed your number of posts... is that a record? Epic!

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #36 of 418
Mar 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #40 of 418
Question here. Someone was selling an E12 Andes in the classifieds. What the devil is that and how does it relate to the Mont Blanc?

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #41 of 418
Quote:
Question here. Someone was selling an E12 Andes in the classifieds. What the devil is that and how does it relate to the Mont Blanc?

Must be a mistake. Got a link?

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #43 of 418
Quote:
Well it just so happens I do.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/652818/fiio-e12-andes-like-new

I want an E12 Andes now!
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #45 of 418

Users who are viewing this thread

Back