FiiO E12 Review
Mar 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #16 of 418

NJM2068 is the Op Amp the designer likes and recommends. This is the Op Amp the designers measurements are based on.

Anyway, if you insist on getting defensive, fine.

I don't need the aggravation.

Technically you don't really understand what you are talking about WRT Op Amp rolling noise.

I'm out.

Sorry. I wasn't being defensive. I was just making a point that I didnt start talking about noise. 
confused_face.gif

I wasn't really trying for any aggravation or anything. Sorry if it seemed that way. I just read posts and answer them really.
tumblr_m9jrpdPWZx1qhcuoh.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #17 of 418
Sorry. I wasn't being defensive. I was just making a point that I didnt start talking about noise. 
confused_face.gif

I wasn't really trying for any aggravation or anything. Sorry if it seemed that way. I just read posts and answer them really.
tumblr_m9jrpdPWZx1qhcuoh.gif

After my, um, "cooldown time", I think I am the one who owes you an apology. :xf_eek:
For my part, I do enjoy this thread!
BTW, the bear video clips cracks me up! :p

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #19 of 418
"To my ears" the E12 is far superior to the O2. The E12 gives my ATH-AD900 and Alessandro MS-1i bass punch, vocal clarity while keeping the detail. It will be part of my setup for listening to full size headphones.

This will most probably get me in trouble but I have never come to grips with the O2 because, to me, it is thin, I get sibilance and the vocals disappear. There is no bass. If this is what a neutral reference amplifier that measures objectively well sounds like then I have subjectively decided that I like color and some distortion. It is a bit better with the AD797 op amp and I am interested in trying the 2134 to see if that makes it listenable to me.

I know I will get flamed for this blasphemy but but I have decided that my choice of equipment that becomes my preferred option to listen to my choice of music is, for me, a subjective choice. I like what I like!

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #21 of 418
"To my ears" the E12 is far superior to the O2. The E12 gives my ATH-AD900 and Alessandro MS-1i bass punch, vocal clarity while keeping the detail. It will be part of my setup for listening to full size headphones.

This will most probably get me in trouble but I have never come to grips with the O2 because, to me, it is thin, I get sibilance and the vocals disappear. There is no bass. If this is what a neutral reference amplifier that measures objectively well sounds like then I have subjectively decided that I like color and some distortion. It is a bit better with the AD797 op amp and I am interested in trying the 2134 to see if that makes it listenable to me.

I know I will get flamed for this blasphemy but but I have decided that my choice of equipment that becomes my preferred option to listen to my choice of music is, for me, a subjective choice. I like what I like!

You're not the only person who doesn't like the O2!
I have never heard one so cannot comment on it's sound.

BTW, I have a Matrix M Stage. I have rolled in a few op Amps, the different is extremely slight. Some Op Amps make no difference. Some Op Amps may only be used at a high gain setting. But whatever Op Amp I rolled in, it still sounded like the Matrix M Stage! Just sayin' don't expect a change in sound! LOL

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #22 of 418
Quote:
You're not the only person who doesn't like the O2!
I have never heard one so cannot comment on it's sound.

BTW, I have a Matrix M Stage. I have rolled in a few op Amps, the different is extremely slight. Some Op Amps make no difference. Some Op Amps may only be used at a high gain setting. But whatever Op Amp I rolled it, it still sounded like the Matrix M Stage! Just sayin' don't expect a change in sound! LOL

Isn't the M Stage the amp that the O2 designer doesn't like? Just as long as you like it.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #23 of 418
Quote:
Isn't the M Stage the amp that the O2 designer doesn't like? Just as long as you like it.

I don't know!
There seems to be quite few amps that he has taken a dislike to!
There was one guy who owned a Matrix M Stage and an O2.  He also has AKG K70x 'phones and sold the O2 as he preferred the Matrix with the K70x.
Shhhh!
Don't tell the O2 fanboys!
The designer basically seems like a very thorough designer, but I could do without all the associated rhetoric and chest thumping.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 418
Wow, my apologies, bowei006!

I merely wanted to point out that the O2 you were comparing against your E12 wasn't the same as the O2 that most everyone else (who isn't a DIY'er) has. I didn't have the intention to blow it out into a O2 measurement debate.

I deeply apologize for that.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 418

I can't find any reference to the O2 guy not liking the M Stage in his blog.
Do you think you can point me to a link?
Just curious is all........
I wouldn't mind seeing some measurements.

But he does seem to like the FiiO stuff! :p

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #28 of 418
Quote:
I can't find any reference to the O2 guy not liking the M Stage in his blog.
Do you think you can point me to a link?
Just curious is all........
I wouldn't mind seeing some measurements.

But he does seem to like the FiiO stuff!
tongue.gif

He identifies the E7, E5 as being well measured devices for the price So I guess that's a go in his book 
bigsmile_face.gif

FiiO products in general are definately engaging and fun to listen to with a general sound signature toward forward energetic vocals with a good bass to back it. They will however generally lack in clarity(when compared to others), soundstage and overal neutrality.

But of course, in the overal sense of the world, products like these are elitist. The differences are (to a consumer) very small and it all really depends on the user to decide if the improvements are worth it really.

Yes... I just want to rant. As I want to type fast on my keyboard and the other thread isn't moving fast so I am just typing fast for the sake of typing on my mechanical keyboard now! 
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #29 of 418
Quote:

Post of the year material right there.

Just at what point in time did we all lose our minds and decide that we should let a waterfall graph tell us what we should be hearing? The whole issue of objectivism in audio has gotten totally out of hand. Measured specs are at best a guide and an engineering tool, not and end unto themselves. Has no one clued in and realized that music is not recorded objectively? If it was, it would all sound the same.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #30 of 418
Quote:
Post of the year material right there.

Just at what point in time did we all lose our minds and decide that we should let a waterfall graph tell us what we should be hearing? The whole issue of objectivism in audio has gotten totally out of hand. Measured specs are at best a guide and an engineering tool, not and end unto themselves. Has no one clued in and realized that music is not recorded objectively? If it was, it would all sound the same.

As an Electrical Engineer I can tell you that any consumer product, no.......any product is always judged partially on subjective criteria.
Even circuit breakers, capacitors, resistors are designed with a little bit of visual style.
I'm sure the US military buys guns and armaments partially based on the subjective experience.
Someone has to pick it up and shoot it, carry it around, sling it over their shoulder. They may not admit it to themselves, but it just has to feel right.
It may only count for a few percentage points in the big picture, but it's always there.

People buy cars partially based on the fact that brand X, model G Mark III looks good and feels good when you drive it.
The "other leading brand" just doesn't feel right to the buyer, the seating or position of the steering wheel doesn't feel right. Obviously you can quantify all of this (or most of it) but ultimately "feel" has a bit to do with it.

And why should audio equipment be any different?   
If don't like the way a piece of audio equipment sounds and feels, I ain't buyin' it.
As far as I'm concerned, a lot of audio people like a touch of distortion, a touch of colour, flavour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back