FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions)
Feb 22, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #661 of 718
Hi all,

New around here but am hoping to get some advice. Looking at purchasing a Fiio E11k (... and eventually a Fiio X1) off Aliexpress. Given that I live outside the USA this is by far the most economical place to buy them. I'm a little concerned that the products on Aliexpress may be fake. Is there a possibility anyone would be able to give me a heads up on buying a Fiio E11k off ali or perhaps link to a listing that is reliable.

Thanks!!!

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #664 of 718
Just ordered my first amp, the e11k/ A3, and am SO GIDDY! Figured this would be a good starting point
L3000.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #668 of 718
Can anyone tell me a detailed comparison comparing the original E11 and this, the E11k, A3 or what ever it is.

I think I would buy the original E11 again if it was still available new. I really like it but it is starting to have problems. Whenever I move the dial slightly, there quite often is a loud of loud popping and the music also appears to stop as if my headphones are not plugged in. As soon as I let go, It is fine again. It doesn't always happen but it is getting to be pretty irritating.

I have had it since about May 2012 and it has been used pretty much every day. It is covered in marks, scratches and even dents but it is only the dial that seems to be messing up the sound. The other issue is battery life. I have replaced the batter once the original one started to give up and now this one is struggling to get 6 hours out of it. It has been in it for 2 years or so so it may be solved by getting another. That won't sort out my main issue though.

The main thing I want to know is about the bass boost switch. My headphones are Audio Technica ATH-AD700s and they are very light in bass. Bass boost 2 on my E11 suits them really well. Many people say the E11 on bass boost 2 was just too boomy and I can agree with that when used with other types of headphones.

How does the bass boost compare to the original E11? If I did end up getting this, I would want the quantity it adds to be at least as much. Something else I notice is that the frequency of the bass the E11 boost is very deep which is what I like about it. I also have the E10 and the bass boost on that isn't as powerful and it seems to boost the mid bass more than anything. That just doesn't suit them as well.
It would be helpful if someone could describe what the bass boost is like on the new replacement version of my E11.

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #669 of 718
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-kilimanjaro-2-e11k-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/14277

Has a bit on the bass boost - including graphs which show frequency affected.  May be helpful.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #670 of 718
  http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-kilimanjaro-2-e11k-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/14277

Has a bit on the bass boost - including graphs which show frequency affected.  May be helpful.

I've now also found a video comparing the old E11 to the new one. The bass boost apparently is cleaner but isn't quite as much as when my E11 is on bass boost 2.

I think I may create a new thread in the help and recommendations forum and ask if there are any other brands that have similar bass boost to the original E11.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #671 of 718
does anyone know if these sound good with grado headphones?

i have been listening to my grado sr80e with fiio x3ii and the sound can be little bit congested and muddy..will the e11k solve these issues?

also i dont mind getting fiio e12 if its much better suited.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #672 of 718
  does anyone know if these sound good with grado headphones?

i have been listening to my grado sr80e with fiio x3ii and the sound can be little bit congested and muddy..will the e11k solve these issues?

also i dont mind getting fiio e12 if its much better suited.

This may help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jMKPjhPMDM

I watched this when I wanted to compare the old E11 with the this amp. He is using Grado SR80s when he describes the sound so it may be useful.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #673 of 718
I've been thinking about picking up an A3 for a couple weeks. The sole purpose being to power my Fostex Mk3's. The source being a Fiio X1 and iPhone 6s plus. Just wondering if anyone had a similar setup and the A3 handles these headphones.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #674 of 718
I have a question regarding the USB mains charger for the A3. The specs recommend a DC5V 1A charger. I only have a DC5V 2A charger (a decent Samsung one, and yes it has a USB port which I know is very necessary since the A3 uses mini USB and not micro). Considering I am planning to have it always be powered, will what I have do the trick or would it be smart to get a mains charger with proper spec? Thanks.

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #675 of 718
  I have a question regarding the USB mains charger for the A3. The specs recommend a DC5V 1A charger. I only have a DC5V 2A charger (a decent Samsung one, and yes it has a USB port which I know is very necessary since the A3 uses mini USB and not micro). Considering I am planning to have it always be powered, will what I have do the trick or would it be smart to get a mains charger with proper spec? Thanks.

All you need to know is that the power source (USB adapter) should always have higher outputs rating than the recipient's (A3) requirement.

...or in simple words: yes, you are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back