FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions)
Feb 22, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #691 of 718
  Just got this on amazon. I really hope it can drive my rha ma750s (16Ω) to very high volume levels without clipping.

Had a bad experience with the cmoybb tuned for low impedance headphones. The thing could not even push the same volume levels as my computer or phone.

I am in a very small minority with my desires for high volumes produced at ultra low freqencies and as well on very low impedance headphones.

IDK if a portable sub 100$ amp is ever going to satisfy. I'll let you know.

Your ears will bleed. But don't do it, take care of what little there is left of your hearing.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #692 of 718
Very happy with this amp.

At first it appeared to be clipping in the left ear at 2-4x the max volume that my computer could output but that seems to have disappeared after charging it.

I use it on high gain and full volume to jam out on my 16Ω IEMs. From someone who's friends have commented that you can hear my car stereo exactly the same with the doors closed and windows up, it has enough power for me.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #694 of 718
Yes, it does come with rubber feet, and they prevent the E11k from resting on your desk or DAP. With the feet attached, any concerns with the slightly rounded shape are over exaggerated, IMHO.

Hey there. I just ordered my Fiio A3 and it didn't come with the rubber feets instead it came with 2 rectangular shaped rubbers in the shape of the Fiio. Where's my stickers?? Do you have any idea??

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #695 of 718
Hey there. I just ordered my Fiio A3 and it didn't come with the rubber feets instead it came with 2 rectangular shaped rubbers in the shape of the Fiio. Where's my stickers?? Do you have any idea??

They switched to those flat rectangular silicone pads awhile back. You can always buy some 3M silicone dots.

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #696 of 718

As nmatheis said, something like these will be what you are after: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MagiDeal-A...05243601&sr=1-4&keywords=silicone+bumper+pads

Mine came with the silicone pads to prevent the amp and your phone /music player rubbing togeather because of the A3's curved shape. It originally came with rubber bands too which it doesn't now I think. I have used 6 silicone pads to stop it rubbing on my desk:
DSCN6825.JPG

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #698 of 718
As nmatheis said, something like these will be what you are after: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MagiDeal-A...05243601&sr=1-4&keywords=silicone+bumper+pads

Mine came with the silicone pads to prevent the amp and your phone /music player rubbing togeather because of the A3's curved shape. It originally came with rubber bands too which it doesn't now I think. I have used 6 silicone pads to stop it rubbing on my desk:

I see but won't these leave a mark if I take them off after a long time?

So did mine, which I prefer to be honest. I got the rubber bands with it as well, 2 of them. 6 is a bit too much, no? Lol.

The stupid thing about my Plenue D is that its head jack is at the top so the FiiO is on upside down lol.

Btw, is there no such case I can get for the amp? I looked but can't find anything. I don't want it to get scratched or anything.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #699 of 718
I see but won't these leave a mark if I take them off after a long time?

So did mine, which I prefer to be honest. I got the rubber bands with it as well, 2 of them. 6 is a bit too much, no? Lol.

The stupid thing about my Plenue D is that its head jack is at the top so the FiiO is on upside down lol.

Btw, is there no such case I can get for the amp? I looked but can't find anything. I don't want it to get scratched or anything.

The reason why I have 6 was because when I used to use it strap to my X3, I didn't always have all 6 contacting the X3. I did this so I would have room for me headphone plug to have room to come out the bottom of the A3 in my pocket. If I just had these pads on one edge and in the middle, it wouldn't balance on my desk. Sometimes it works out useful having an extra pair in the middle. If I remember correctly, my original E11 came with 8 of these.

I personally think the desighn of the A3 is a bit silly for portable use. It would be far better if the headphone socket and output swapped places with the gain and bass boost. That would be worse for use on my desk but it would make it so much more easy for portable use. I much prefer the design of my original E11 for this sort of use. It is flat too which makes more sense as well.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #700 of 718
The reason why I have 6 was because when I used to use it strap to my X3, I didn't always have all 6 contacting the X3. I did this so I would have room for me headphone plug to have room to come out the bottom of the A3 in my pocket. If I just had these pads on one edge and in the middle, it wouldn't balance on my desk. Sometimes it works out useful having an extra pair in the middle. If I remember correctly, my original E11 came with 8 of these.

I personally think the desighn of the A3 is a bit silly for portable use. It would be far better if the headphone socket and output swapped places with the gain and bass boost. That would be worse for use on my desk but it would make it so much more easy for portable use. I much prefer the design of my original E11 for this sort of use. It is flat too which makes more sense as well.

Ah I see.

I prefer them this way but each to their own :). This is my 1st amp so I'm happy with it :D. Only thing is I blast my Plenue D on full and the amp about 7.5 - 8 volume so the amp only lasts about roughly 6hrs. I was wondering if yourself or anyone else on here knows of a good amp dats small like this A3 but lasts longer than 16 or 20hrs on some I've seen and a reasonable price??

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #701 of 718
Hello all,
After reading all this thread,reading other reviews and watching info on youtube, decided to buy this FiiO A3 amp.
Also considering M3k as DAP and they are almost same size so should stack nice, also hoping they will play well together.
Pro box and nice build quality.
Counter fit control system, nice!
If set to low gain NO increase in volume at all, tested on several inputs, iphone 5s, Oregon scientific Mp120, computer.
Is this normal?
On high gain using iphone 5s I can listen comfortably with BOTH on highest volume, again is this as it should be?
Using Koss ksc 75s, 60 ohm, and other super cheap and old headphones only for testing.
But biggest issue is NO USB CHARGING!
I listened, tested yesterday for a couple hours, did note that with computer source, could get close to what I would call loud enough but still thought this would put out MUCH more power.
This morning blue LED started blinking, understanding this is the alert to charge plugged in provided USB to micro USB into 5v, 1A charger, known to work as tested with iphone, Nothing.
Tried with unit on and off, nothing.
Tested with 2 other chargers also known to function, nothing, as well as computer USB, no charge.
By hazard noticed that my wifes Samsung phone charger uses micro USB, it is 4.7 v, .55a and now the blue led is "pulsing slowly" saying charging.
I carefully physically controlled FiiO charge cable, connection contacts, and MANY combinations to no avail.
I am certainly no electronics engineer but have built many RC elctric helis and am trying to trouble shoot this problem.
Now that wife is back used her phone to test FiiO USB to micro USB cable, problem found,
BAD cable!
So for someone who would not have done all these tests to trouble shoot the problem, one would not have known it was cable problem or unit.
By doing tests also found that volume level is about the same from iphone 5s at highest volume while FiiO A3 is at 7, high gain, and as said NO change low gain.
Also easy for me to choose iphone direct for sound quality when compared to A3 at same volume.
Hear very little change when bass boost is on, but when is on bassy tracks sounds muddy and grainy.
So my first venture into "higher fidelity" being my Koss ksc 75s, well pleased!
Added plus was fun project to mod with excellent results!
Second upgrade, FiiO A3 amp, would be returned to shop if I had the option to buy local, even today less that 24 hours of ownership.
As it was done thru Amazon and not sure if just a bad charge cable qualifies for refund or credit but will check into.
I always read and study a lot before making buys, not only for the fun but for savings as well.
Was considering FiiO M3K as first "real" DAP, but this DOA charge cable issue coupled with far below my expectations performance wise, will change my thinking.
revhed

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #702 of 718
Hello all,
After reading all this thread,reading other reviews and watching info on youtube, decided to buy this FiiO A3 amp.
Also considering M3k as DAP and they are almost same size so should stack nice, also hoping they will play well together.
Pro box and nice build quality.
Counter fit control system, nice!
If set to low gain NO increase in volume at all, tested on several inputs, iphone 5s, Oregon scientific Mp120, computer.
Is this normal?
On high gain using iphone 5s I can listen comfortably with BOTH on highest volume, again is this as it should be?
Using Koss ksc 75s, 60 ohm, and other super cheap and old headphones only for testing.
But biggest issue is NO USB CHARGING!
I listened, tested yesterday for a couple hours, did note that with computer source, could get close to what I would call loud enough but still thought this would put out MUCH more power.
This morning blue LED started blinking, understanding this is the alert to charge plugged in provided USB to micro USB into 5v, 1A charger, known to work as tested with iphone, Nothing.
Tried with unit on and off, nothing.
Tested with 2 other chargers also known to function, nothing, as well as computer USB, no charge.
By hazard noticed that my wifes Samsung phone charger uses micro USB, it is 4.7 v, .55a and now the blue led is "pulsing slowly" saying charging.
I carefully physically controlled FiiO charge cable, connection contacts, and MANY combinations to no avail.
I am certainly no electronics engineer but have built many RC elctric helis and am trying to trouble shoot this problem.
Now that wife is back used her phone to test FiiO USB to micro USB cable, problem found,
BAD cable!
So for someone who would not have done all these tests to trouble shoot the problem, one would not have known it was cable problem or unit.
By doing tests also found that volume level is about the same from iphone 5s at highest volume while FiiO A3 is at 7, high gain, and as said NO change low gain.
Also easy for me to choose iphone direct for sound quality when compared to A3 at same volume.
Hear very little change when bass boost is on, but when is on bassy tracks sounds muddy and grainy.
So my first venture into "higher fidelity" being my Koss ksc 75s, well pleased!
Added plus was fun project to mod with excellent results!
Second upgrade, FiiO A3 amp, would be returned to shop if I had the option to buy local, even today less that 24 hours of ownership.
As it was done thru Amazon and not sure if just a bad charge cable qualifies for refund or credit but will check into.
I always read and study a lot before making buys, not only for the fun but for savings as well.
Was considering FiiO M3K as first "real" DAP, but this DOA charge cable issue coupled with far below my expectations performance wise, will change my thinking.
revhed

I have had issues with one or two FiiO cables in the past. But as their amps often only require 0.5a at 5v and no data, they often make the wires so thin that the cables don't last long. The ones that came with my E5 and E11 were very poor.

The A3 is about the same volume as the input on lo gain for me too. But it does give you better sound and gives you a nice feeling dial and better control of the volume. On high gain, the A3 is louder than they headphone out on my X3 Dap, which will already be significantly louder than an iphone. Not sure what your issue is here, but sounds like there is something.

With the bass boost, it depends how much you are expecting. It changes it a moderate amount of the bass. The peak is by about 4db at 60hz and it rolls off towards 100 and gets back to totally flat by 200hz. If listening at maximum volume, the bass boost does add quite a lot of distortion on high gain for me though. otherwise, it does a good job at boosting the low end without messing up other frequencies. Not sure of your issue here either.

I would send it back if you can and I don't think you would face the issue with volume issues if you got it again.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #703 of 718
I have had issues with one or two FiiO cables in the past. But as their amps often only require 0.5a at 5v and no data, they often make the wires so thin that the cables don't last long. The ones that came with my E5 and E11 were very poor.

The A3 is about the same volume as the input on lo gain for me too. But it does give you better sound and gives you a nice feeling dial and better control of the volume. On high gain, the A3 is louder than they headphone out on my X3 Dap, which will already be significantly louder than an iphone. Not sure what your issue is here, but sounds like there is something.

With the bass boost, it depends how much you are expecting. It changes it a moderate amount of the bass. The peak is by about 4db at 60hz and it rolls off towards 100 and gets back to totally flat by 200hz. If listening at maximum volume, the bass boost does add quite a lot of distortion on high gain for me though. otherwise, it does a good job at boosting the low end without messing up other frequencies. Not sure of your issue here either.

I would send it back if you can and I don't think you would face the issue with volume issues if you got it again.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #704 of 718
Return to (of) the giant hogweed,
Thanx for your info.
I have had bad cheap 3.5 cables so know this can happen, but how hard can it be to quality control quickly before leaves factory.
Good to know that someone else has same volume on low gain.
Also boomy base loud volume on high gain.
As I am SO new to all this, is fun, I am finding that with high gain, no bass boost on vol 8 with Iphone 5s maxed that I can enjoy!
I have read a little about both headphone and amp burn in, not sure, but am all but sure that ones brain does change to adapt to many things
including sound. Interesting for me to discover this.
Could it be that amp is louder after a few battery drains and recharge, or again just in my head?
I sure would like to know if the charge system auto stops at full charge, have checked their web site and posed question here somewhere else, no reply.
I can say I am very informed on lithium battery care as been using with RC helis and a HUGE pack on my electric uni, over charge and over drain are just not healthy.
I will and must say just having cheap modded Koss kc 75s, a dedicated amp, 4 input sources to test is letting me listen to some old favs that
have been missed, so just that has improved the quality of my life in recent days!!
So much Pink Floyd is EPIC!
I am still searching for my first "real" DAP.
In the running,
Fiio M3K
Xudoo x3 ii
Shanling M1
Hidizs Ap 60 ii, PRO
Also need higher quality micro SD storage, Sandisk, Samsung Other?
Thoughts, ideas anyone please!
revhed

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #705 of 718
Return to (of) the giant hogweed,
Thanx for your info.
I have had bad cheap 3.5 cables so know this can happen, but how hard can it be to quality control quickly before leaves factory.
Good to know that someone else has same volume on low gain.
Also boomy base loud volume on high gain.
As I am SO new to all this, is fun, I am finding that with high gain, no bass boost on vol 8 with Iphone 5s maxed that I can enjoy!
I have read a little about both headphone and amp burn in, not sure, but am all but sure that ones brain does change to adapt to many things
including sound. Interesting for me to discover this.
Could it be that amp is louder after a few battery drains and recharge, or again just in my head?
I sure would like to know if the charge system auto stops at full charge, have checked their web site and posed question here somewhere else, no reply.
I can say I am very informed on lithium battery care as been using with RC helis and a HUGE pack on my electric uni, over charge and over drain are just not healthy.
I will and must say just having cheap modded Koss kc 75s, a dedicated amp, 4 input sources to test is letting me listen to some old favs that
have been missed, so just that has improved the quality of my life in recent days!!
So much Pink Floyd is EPIC!
I am still searching for my first "real" DAP.
In the running,
Fiio M3K
Xudoo x3 ii
Shanling M1
Hidizs Ap 60 ii, PRO
Also need higher quality micro SD storage, Sandisk, Samsung Other?
Thoughts, ideas anyone please!
revhed

Just thinking of something about your Iphone. Do you use the headphone socket? It is sometimes best to avoid using that as the output to yet anther amplifier as you are effectively amplifying the signal twice. The Iphone should be able to work with some kind of adaptor from it's other port. I believe this output of the phone has a fixed volume and it will be at its loudest. This could result in you being able to get much better volume from your A3. This is the adaptor I remember people discussing: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-l9-l-shaped-line-out-dock-lod-cable-for-ipod-and-iphone.13404/

FiiO don't make it any more but I am sure there will be other companies that make these adaptors still. If you can find a really cheap one, it will be worth trying out. I don't know what sort of connection your phone will have. If you know, just look up that connection type to a 3.5 cable adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back