FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions)
Dec 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #676 of 718

All you need to know is that the power source (USB adapter) should always have higher outputs rating than the recipient's (A3) requirement.

...or in simple words: yes, you are fine.

Thanks. I wonder their reason for "recommending" a 1A output though, and there's no "greater than" symbol. Mistranslation?

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #677 of 718
Hello all , 

I just got my A3 in and i have some questions. 

what is the most common volume level adjustments ?  in other words , how do you control your volume and whereto set them on ? 

I use to set the volume of my phone to 95% and tham adjust the volume on the Fiio A3 to my desired volume level. 
I do this becouse i have learned that you can better send in a strong signal to avoid noise form the "amp" than againm you can also turn this arround and cranck up the Fiio A3 to lets say level 8 ore so and adjust the volume with your phone .. 

What do you do the most and why >?  

my setup : 

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #678 of 718

Thanks. I wonder their reason for "recommending" a 1A output though, and there's no "greater than" symbol. Mistranslation?

Dear LayLay,

We recommend the normal using charger which is suitable for the A3. The input charging current of the A3 is smaller than 1A, so we recommend the 5V, 1A charger. But the 5V, 2A charger you mentioned is available as well.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 5, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #679 of 718
Got the amp now, turns out the connection is unfortunately the dodgy micro USB port, and not the much much more sturdy mini USB as specified on the official site. Not a problem (right now) as I have it connected to my HiFi amp. Anyway I do have a 5V 1A micro USB charger so I'm using that.

As for the amp, it's great. Presents the difference between mp3 and lossless better than anything I've yet heard (they really sound very different, and I wouldn't say it's simply a difference in quality) I'm pretty sure it's maxing out what I currently own. The bass boost is seamlessly implemented, I was surprised by that. Feels very well made, save for the aforementioned micro USB port. kudos

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #680 of 718
Can somebody shed some light on how A3 would stack up against Fiio E12K Mont Blanc or E10k? Of course, E12k has more options packed with it and not to mention, capable of providing freakishly amount of MW. I'm, however, more interested to see the comparison in bass boost and soundstage as all I want is to tame down the highs a little and bring out a somewhat warmer signature on my SHP that I use in workplace.

I agree, cheap hybrid amps like Bravo v2 could be more effective for my need but as I stated moment ago, I use SHP in workplace so the less the from factor, the less attention it would grab and that's where options like v2 is a no go for me.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #682 of 718
  Anyone experience any problems charging their FiiO A3 via a computer USB 3.0 Port (DC5V; 900 mA)?  As I have seen varying power input requirement specifications ranging from DC5V; 500 mA to DC5V; 1 A...

I often get confused about what charger FiiO Expects us to use. As they have said with the X3 to use an apple charger. But done specify exactly which one. they also have said up to a 2A charger sound be fine so I never really know what is best. I don't own any apple products so have never tried with their chargers. I charged the A3 with over 5 different devices at many different output ratings. However, it usually gets charged by a smart charger which automatically detects what current the device needs. I've got a USB device that tells me the rate it is charging at so I'll test it later and post the results.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #683 of 718
  Can somebody shed some light on how A3 would stack up against Fiio E12K Mont Blanc or E10k? Of course, E12k has more options packed with it and not to mention, capable of providing freakishly amount of MW. I'm, however, more interested to see the comparison in bass boost and soundstage as all I want is to tame down the highs a little and bring out a somewhat warmer signature on my SHP that I use in workplace.

I agree, cheap hybrid amps like Bravo v2 could be more effective for my need but as I stated moment ago, I use SHP in workplace so the less the from factor, the less attention it would grab and that's where options like v2 is a no go for me.

The E10K is totally different. It has no battery as it is a desktop amplifier. It also gets it audio from USB. The A3 and E12k both just have 3.5mm audio inputs. I have the original E10 and the A3. I can compare the bass boost on the original E10 and the A3 though. What I don't know is if the E10K has a totally new bass boost feature. I never liked the E10s bass boost much. It seemed to boost the mid bass much more than the deeper bass which wasn't what I was after. I just found it affected the mid range too much a lot of the time. The boost on the A3 is far better. It boost it really cleanly and the bass it boosts is more like sub bass. I'd also say the A3 has the ability to go louder as well. Problems I had with my E10 was interference from my PC. It pretty much amplified what was going on inside my PC. For example, whenever the PC was busy chugging away with something, the quiet beeps and cracks could be heard through the E10. That only seemed to be a problem with certain computers though. By the look of what you want, the E10 would be no good at all, as it must receive a decent amount of power as well as data for the music through the USB cable.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #684 of 718

The E10K is totally different. It has no battery as it is a desktop amplifier. It also gets it audio from USB. The A3 and E12k both just have 3.5mm audio inputs. I have the original E10 and the A3. I can compare the bass boost on the original E10 and the A3 though. What I don't know is if the E10K has a totally new bass boost feature. I never liked the E10s bass boost much. It seemed to boost the mid bass much more than the deeper bass which wasn't what I was after. I just found it affected the mid range too much a lot of the time. The boost on the A3 is far better. It boost it really cleanly and the bass it boosts is more like sub bass. I'd also say the A3 has the ability to go louder as well. Problems I had with my E10 was interference from my PC. It pretty much amplified what was going on inside my PC. For example, whenever the PC was busy chugging away with something, the quiet beeps and cracks could be heard through the E10. That only seemed to be a problem with certain computers though. By the look of what you want, the E10 would be no good at all, as it must receive a decent amount of power as well as data for the music through the USB cable.

E10k is considered as more neutral and refined sounding than the originals. Plus, the bass boost isn't as drastic as original E10 is what I see people keep saying. I can't personally verify that since I never got to hear a E10 but I own a E10k and I'm quite happy with the way it represents music. I'm more interested in the sound signature of A3 rather than other factors compare with other two and mainly looking for that neutral to slightly warmer sound signature that E10k serves. If A3 can retain the same sound signature minus the sorceries E10k does with its DAC capabilities then A3 should pair nicely with SHP.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #685 of 718
Quote:
  Anyone experience any problems charging their FiiO A3 via a computer USB 3.0 Port (DC5V; 900 mA)?  As I have seen varying power input requirement specifications ranging from DC5V; 500 mA to DC5V; 1 A...

Well, I've now tested charging it and it seems to charge at 0.5A out of every charger I have tried. I don't think it would have any issue being used with a 2 amp charger as it only seems to charge at the same speed as this image shows:

This is charging from a USB power bank. The output is up to 2.1a. The A3 as I said seems to charge at this rate from everything.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #686 of 718
  Quote:

Well, I've now tested charging it and it seems to charge at 0.5A out of every charger I have tried. I don't think it would have any issue being used with a 2 amp charger as it only seems to charge at the same speed as this image shows:

This is charging from a USB power bank. The output is up to 2.1a. The A3 as I said seems to charge at this rate from everything.

Really appreciate your taking the time to test it and adding the pic!

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #688 of 718
I often get confused about what charger FiiO Expects us to use. As they have said with the X3 to use an apple charger. But done specify exactly which one. they also have said up to a 2A charger sound be fine so I never really know what is best. I don't own any apple products so have never tried with their chargers. I charged the A3 with over 5 different devices at many different output ratings. However, it usually gets charged by a smart charger which automatically detects what current the device needs. I've got a USB device that tells me the rate it is charging at so I'll test it later and post the results.

Dear TheGiantHogweed,
If the charging current of the product is smaller than 500mA, we would recommended the charger with DC output 5V, 500mA. But the charger with a little higher output current(like 5V,1A/2A) can be suitable as well. So both can be available.
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 22, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #689 of 718
Just got this on amazon. I really hope it can drive my rha ma750s (16Ω) to very high volume levels without clipping.

Had a bad experience with the cmoybb tuned for low impedance headphones. The thing could not even push the same volume levels as my computer or phone.

I am in a very small minority with my desires for high volumes produced at ultra low freqencies and as well on very low impedance headphones.

IDK if a portable sub 100$ amp is ever going to satisfy. I'll let you know.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #690 of 718
  Just got this on amazon. I really hope it can drive my rha ma750s (16Ω) to very high volume levels without clipping.

Had a bad experience with the cmoybb tuned for low impedance headphones. The thing could not even push the same volume levels as my computer or phone.

I am in a very small minority with my desires for high volumes produced at ultra low freqencies and as well on very low impedance headphones.

IDK if a portable sub 100$ amp is ever going to satisfy. I'll let you know.

The issue you may have with this amplifier is channel balance when on low volumes. This will only be a problem if the input is a fairly loud one. But even with my 32ohm pair of headphones, it is very tricky to listen to them at a very quiet level without hearing the left side a lot more than the right. I think it could do with another gain switch that decreases the volume so you need to turn the dial further to get louder. This would then solve the balance issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back