Fiio E11 Review (and comparison E7 - amp section only)
Jun 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #16 of 41

Quote:
From some of the comments that you make is it fair to assume this is your first review?

If so, you did a great job. Nice pictures, explained what equipment and music you used and particularly detailed.

Nice.

Thanks.  Have done a couple of review / comparisons now (one was SE425 vs SE315).  Learning (from the comments left and reading other reviews) each time I do one.  Head-fiers are a lot of help.  Will continue to review other items I end up with - if I deem the reviews would provide value to the community here.  Hopefully style will mature and refine over time, and eventually get closer to the standards set by ClieOS, Joker and others (long term ideal).

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 41
i agree with your review from a mobile perspective. the e11 is a better portable amp then the e7. but the e7's DAC(if u dont have the e9 yet*whitch got lost in  mail a couple days*) sounds better. the e11 is better for straight portability and sound but the e7 sounds better from computer. and has the upgradability of getting the e9 companion. just something to consider.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 41

Quote:
i agree with your review from a mobile perspective. the e11 is a better portable amp then the e7. but the e7's DAC(if u dont have the e9 yet*whitch got lost in  mail a couple days*) sounds better. the e11 is better for straight portability and sound but the e7 sounds better from computer. and has the upgradability of getting the e9 companion. just something to consider.

I understand what you're saying - and that's why the comparison was the amp sections only.  The E11 doesn't have a DAC - so the E7's DAC can't really be compared to it.

I have the E9 and the E7 paired, and for a desktop application it sounds very nice.  The E9 (IMO) also gives the E7 DAC a touch of warmth - and the combination together is very enjoyable.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #20 of 41
agreed

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 41

Quote:
I understand what you're saying - and that's why the comparison was the amp sections only.  The E11 doesn't have a DAC - so the E7's DAC can't really be compared to it.

I have the E9 and the E7 paired, and for a desktop application it sounds very nice.  The E9 (IMO) also gives the E7 DAC a touch of warmth - and the combination together is very enjoyable.

My main headphones are Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's(64Ohm), main music is 256kbps(itunes-some CD rips), I will be using my iphone with LOD most of the time but would like to try a DAC out(Curious) . For my music and headphones, would you say the E7 amp is powerful enough and I should pay more to try out the DAC wile I'm at it. Or would the E11 just provide better audio quality and I should forget the DAC? I didn't want to spend much but I'm also looking at the iBasso T3.

With 256kbps, would a amp even be a good idea? Should I be banished?
My PC is a lower end all-in-one dell.

Edit: or the E17

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #22 of 41

Quote:
My main headphones are Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's(64Ohm), main music is 256kbps(itunes-some CD rips), I will be using my iphone with LOD most of the time but would like to try a DAC out(Curious) . For my music and headphones, would you say the E7 amp is powerful enough and I should pay more to try out the DAC wile I'm at it. Or would the E11 just provide better audio quality and I should forget the DAC? I didn't want to spend much but I'm also looking at the iBasso T3.

With 256kbps, would a amp even be a good idea? Should I be banished?
My PC is a lower end all-in-one dell.

Edit: or the E17

First up - haven't heard the DJ1 - and have no idea if they need amping or not.  Guessing 64ohm should be driven relatively easily from your iPod or PC anyway.

You really only need the DAC if you want to bypass the onboard on your PC (ie if it is noisy or subpar).  The E7's strength was it's DAC - relatively clean, and a cheap USB upgrade.  The amp was OK as long as your cans aren't hard to drive.

FTR - I sold my E7 (and E9) and went to a desktop dac/amp (NFB-12) - mainly for my HD600s.  Most of the time with my iPhone4 I just use my HM5 or MS1i unamped.  They simply don't need the extra power.

tl:dr - if you're getting static or noise from your PC, and want a cheap USB option - look at the Fiio E10 all in one dac/amp.  I don't think you really need an amp from your portable source for your DJ1 - and that way you avoid carrying around more weight than you need to.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 41

Quote:
First up - haven't heard the DJ1 - and have no idea if they need amping or not.  Guessing 64ohm should be driven relatively easily from your iPod or PC anyway.

You really only need the DAC if you want to bypass the onboard on your PC (ie if it is noisy or subpar).  The E7's strength was it's DAC - relatively clean, and a cheap USB upgrade.  The amp was OK as long as your cans aren't hard to drive.

FTR - I sold my E7 (and E9) and went to a desktop dac/amp (NFB-12) - mainly for my HD600s.  Most of the time with my iPhone4 I just use my HM5 or MS1i unamped.  They simply don't need the extra power.

tl:dr - if you're getting static or noise from your PC, and want a cheap USB option - look at the Fiio E10 all in one dac/amp.  I don't think you really need an amp from your portable source for your DJ1 - and that way you avoid carrying around more weight than you need to.

In that case these headphones are not worth the money I payed. Rather just stick with AKG K518's... :frowning2: I already ordered a E11 and LOD, we will see how it goes I guess =/ I was thinking of the E7 being that I thought 64Ohm isn't much and my PC could use a DAC. 

Edit: Now also have a FiiO E17 on pre-order from mp4nation.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #24 of 41
I purchased the e11 because of this thread. Thank you.

I'm new to headphone HiFi and started with a purchase of Audio Technica ath-ad700's and this amp. I've had Klipsch i4's for a while, using an iPhone and for critical listening a Sansa clip+. This headphone amp has even opened up the Klipsch, which are really sensitive from what I understand. Amazing detail, clarity and depth. Still waiting for the Audio Technica's to arrive via UPS, but dang, can't wait.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 41
I love my E11 good transparency, bass boost sounds good doesn't color the rest of the spectrum.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #26 of 41
Hello mate, thank you for the review.
I recently purchased a pair of Shure SRH-440, and I was wondering if I should go for an amp/dac hybrid or just one of them in the sub $100 price range.
I don't need mobility, I'll listen while I'm at work running on a laptop (FLAC files), possibly from my i9000 phone if I'm too lazy to copy files (but I can go the extra mile and do that if there's no compromise solution).
Also, I'm not sure I understand everything, but if I get an external soundcard like the Creative ones, wouldn't it be more or less the same as getting a DAC/Amp?

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #28 of 41
If you're using the bands you can position them so that they are now where the slide is.

I used the bands for a while - then switched to velcro tape.  A lot easier!

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #29 of 41
Excellent read.

I have to ask though...hen i last had the E7, it was utterly useless for me...I mean for the price, I noticed nothing different than the E5 was doing.
I felt no extra "clean sound", no additional bass vs the e5 , and more so wasn't portable at all, was very bulky if anything.

I've been looking at the ZO2 for its really small size, I really have no idea what to go for now...

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 41
It's strength (for the price) is really the DAC - which is something the E5/E6 doesn't have.

I still think it's pretty good for what it does, and how it's priced.  It's targeted at entry level - and gives the chance to scale for harder to drive cans (adding the E9).

After trying a few more amps though - I found that for the cans I own, and my listening preferences - ultimately the sound was a little "thin" for the sonic signature I prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back