FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
Dec 15, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #1,261 of 1,271
Happy owner of the FiiO E11 here. Been using it for years now ever since the release. Although my use with it is on and off, I'm overall pleased with this little device. In my area, it gets as low as 20 bucks and I have to say the functions itself worth every penny. It's small, it's light, budget friendly, comes with removable battery option and packs a punch(What more could you want). If you are starting out, personally I think this would be a perfect amp for the pick.

Had my first paring with the ATH-M50x, it was splendid. Having enough power to drive most of my mediocre headphones without any problems, connected to an android devices. Also, with a FiiO L9 cable, you can use lineout with your Apple devices which benefits from sound quality.

My setting is always off gain and either 0 or 1 for the Bass(Level 2 muddles the mids). Previously using it with my iBasso DX90 and Dunu Titan 1. It did a good job with lowering the tremble sibilant and slight fatigue I experienced with my Titan1, adds a good amount of bass texture to it and makes it smoother to listen to.

For the price, it's definitely a bang for the buck. There's also the JDS cMoyBB($35) which is worth checking out at this price range. For upgrading, I would suggest checking out the Cayin C5($145), FiiO E12A($159), JDSLABS C5($189), Headstage Arrow 12HE(EUR199) and the OPPO HA-2(£250).

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,262 of 1,271
  Happy owner of the FiiO E11 here. Been using it for years now ever since the release. Although my use with it is on and off, I'm overall pleased with this little device. In my area, it gets as low as 20 bucks and I have to say the functions itself worth every penny. It's small, it's light, budget friendly, comes with removable battery option and packs a punch(What more could you want). If you are starting out, personally I think this would be a perfect amp for the pick.

Had my first paring with the ATH-M50x, it was splendid. Having enough power to drive most of my mediocre headphones without any problems, connected to an android devices. Also, with a FiiO L9 cable, you can use lineout with your Apple devices which benefits from sound quality.

My setting is always off gain and either 0 or 1 for the Bass(Level 2 muddles the mids). Previously using it with my iBasso DX90 and Dunu Titan 1. It did a good job with lowering the tremble sibilant and slight fatigue I experienced with my Titan1, adds a good amount of bass texture to it and makes it smoother to listen to.

For the price, it's definitely a bang for the buck. There's also the JDS cMoyBB($35) which is worth checking out at this price range. For upgrading, I would suggest checking out the Cayin C5($145), FiiO E12A($159), JDSLABS C5($189), Headstage Arrow 12HE(EUR199) and the OPPO HA-2(£250).

I have always thought that bass boost 2 goes really well with my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. They are very light on bass and I would say it only messed up the sound when the music already has a huge amount or it is a very poor recording. Most of the time though, I use the E11 with my AD700s on bass boost 2. I have hardly ever listened to the E11 with bass boost on 1 as the difference isn't that noticeable. I am pretty sue it would be more suited to the ATH-M50x as they are closed back and already have a fair amount of punch to the bass from what I have heard.

I too have had my E11 for years (since about May 2012). I would really miss it if it gave up. I really don't like the look of the design of the new E11K/A3 that is the replacement. I just don't get why on a portable amplifier you would have the input and output both on the opposite sides to the volume dial. It will mean that if you have it in your pocket with a DAP or smart phone, You will either have the dial at the bottom which will be a right pain to reach or the input and the output at the bottom. You will then have the risk of damaging your headphone cable as well as the input cable unless you are lucky enough to have them both as right angles. Another downside is that there is only 2 options for bass boost. Not that I use both on my E11 really but it is always an advantage. Not sure why they would replace it with only on and off.

You can tell that I very strongly dislike the design of the new version and that is why I hope my E11 lasts. The new one may sound better and be better in many other ways too though. Such as the build quality. The E11 does feel a little cheaply made.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #1,263 of 1,271

I have always thought that bass boost 2 goes really well with my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. They are very light on bass and I would say it only messed up the sound when the music already has a huge amount or it is a very poor recording. Most of the time though, I use the E11 with my AD700s on bass boost 2. I have hardly ever listened to the E11 with bass boost on 1 as the difference isn't that noticeable. I am pretty sue it would be more suited to the ATH-M50x as they are closed back and already have a fair amount of punch to the bass from what I have heard.

I too have had my E11 for years (since about May 2012). I would really miss it if it gave up. I really don't like the look of the design of the new E11K/A3 that is the replacement. I just don't get why on a portable amplifier you would have the input and output both on the opposite sides to the volume dial. It will mean that if you have it in your pocket with a DAP or smart phone, You will either have the dial at the bottom which will be a right pain to reach or the input and the output at the bottom. You will then have the risk of damaging your headphone cable as well as the input cable unless you are lucky enough to have them both as right angles. Another downside is that there is only 2 options for bass boost. Not that I use both on my E11 really but it is always an advantage. Not sure why they would replace it with only on and off.

You can tell that I very strongly dislike the design of the new version and that is why I hope my E11 lasts. The new one may sound better and be better in many other ways too though. Such as the build quality. The E11 does feel a little cheaply made.

Well, music/sound is something that may varies from people to people so I can't comment much on the level 2 bass muddling the mids. But that's just something I've noticed and experienced after spending some time with it. Also other than that, is the hissing (but I've learn to live with it).

Yeah man, I'm already missing it haha. I remember felling in love with sound signature of the E11 the first time I listened to it. Gotta say the volume knob and output placement on the E11K really gets in the way and annoys me and it's hard to accom to as to how my previous setup stacks. I think FiiO did well with the on/off bass on the E11K as a level 2 bass isn't really much needed.

I'm sure it'll last. Well, it does feel cheaply made but I think the lightness accomodate it, so I think both E11 and E11K sorta fairs well.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,264 of 1,271
Well, music/sound is something that may varies from people to people so I can't comment much on the level 2 bass muddling the mids. But that's just something I've noticed and experienced after spending some time with it. Also other than that, is the hissing (but I've learn to live with it).

Yeah man, I'm already missing it haha. I remember felling in love with sound signature of the E11 the first time I listened to it. Gotta say the volume knob and output placement on the E11K really gets in the way and annoys me and it's hard to accom to as to how my previous setup stacks. I think FiiO did well with the on/off bass on the E11K as a level 2 bass isn't really much needed.

I'm sure it'll last. Well, it does feel cheaply made but I think the lightness accomodate it, so I think both E11 and E11K sorta fairs well.

About the hiss of the E11, I noticed this too. However, it is only very noticeable when it is connected to things that sound poor. If I plug it into the line out of my X3 or E10, the hissing is very quiet even when turned up all the way. As the line out is already pretty loud on the E10 and even louder from the X3, I hardly ever go past number 4 on the dial. When using it with my cheap tablet or directly in my computer headphone socket, it seems to sound reasonable but it amplifies all the irritating crackling of the parts of my PC. Itis the same on my tablet. When I am browsing, the E11 picks up noises from inside the tablet. It still sounds better than listening directly though. Makes a big volume boost too.

A DAC such as the E10 that I use with my PC gets rid of my computers noise totally. Listening through the E10 itself or the E11 through the line out sounds very clean indeed. The E11 seems to have a little more treble and boosts the bass in a better way in my opinion too. I have sometimes been wearing my headphones for an hour at my PC with very little playing and I hardly ever notice any hissing. As I said, a hiss is noticeable if what you plug it into isn't very good. I also notice hissing if you plug the E11 into something that already has a volume control. This can't be helped a lot of the time but the sound being amplified twice often doesn't work out for me. The E11 connected to a line out of anything with a fixed volume sounds a fair bit better. Better still if it is a DAC.

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,265 of 1,271
My E11 seems to be starting to have problems now. Most times I touch the dial and move it there is a whole load of loud popping and crackling. Also, the blue light on it flashes on and off as if the power isn't getting to it when the dial is turning. The music playing stops every time the light goes off so something must be loose somewhere. It is fine when left alone but every time I adjust the volume, this problem happens pretty much every time. I have tried taking the battery out moving the volume dial to full and back down to off several times and it hasn't solved the problem. If the E11 was still made, I would want to go for the exact same model again. I paid £34 which was a great price. I use it very often. Pretty much every day in fact.

The most important thing for me would be the bass boost. My Audio Technica ATH-AD700s have very little bass and this on bass boost 2 sounds brilliant with these. I am just wondering what other amps boost the bass as much or maybe a little more without messing up the sound too much. I also have the FiiO E10 and I don't like the bass boost on that much. I use the E11 plugged into the line out of that most of the time.

I am thinking that the Topping NX3 might be reasonable but I will have to ask about it first. If anyone could suggest anything else I could do to try to fix my E11, I would appreciate it. I'm not sure what the issue is. Or you could suggest another portable amplifier that adds a similar amount of bass to the E11 that would suit my headphones well.

I have read that the E11k/A3 doesn't boost the bass quite as much as the original one. I also do not like the design of the E11k/A3 much at all both because of the shape and where the input, output and dial is.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,267 of 1,271
  Well, if you like it why not buy a second hand E11? Since the battery can be easily replaced, a second hand E11 in good condition could be used for a few more years...

I haven't seen many that cost less than what I paid. I wouldn't really want to pay more that £30 considering I got mine for £34 new. I also wouldn't want to buy one second hand if it wasn't from the UK. There don't look to be any on ebay or maybe I just didn't look carefully enough.

I think I may just try out the topping NX3 as it should be easy to return if it is from amazon. 

Thanks for suggesting this though.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,268 of 1,271
 I have been having problems with my E11 recently as I mentioned in my posts above. I have bought a new battery but that didn't solve it. However, Having the E11 on my desk without the bottom metal cover on it doesn't seem to be having problems. I can touch and move the volume dial without any popping or crackling coming through my headphones.  I have been using it like this for about 15 minutes constantly adjusting the volume and I'm not still not getting that irritating noise.

I am doing this as I am typing now and I have just put the cover back on and the problem is there again? Does anyone know what could be causing this? I may end up just taping that battery in place with some electrical tape and using it like that with the bottom on.

I just don't understand how having that fixed in place where is should be can be causing the unit to turn on and of, pop and crackle whenever I touch the dial.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,269 of 1,271
Well, I have bought the FiiO E11k / A3 and other than the fact the built quality is better and you can use it while charging, I prefer pretty much everything about the original E11. I tried bidding for an original E11 on ebay and didn't manage to get it. I then yesterday saw an E11 for £25 that was at that fixed price. I haven't received it yet but it was said to be like new. For my first E11, paid £34 which as it happened was 20% an already reduced price. I thought that was great value and considering how much liked it, I don't think what I have just paid is a bad price either.

My original E11 has totally given up now but I much prefer the fact that the ports are on the same side as the volume dial. I also think it is far better having the light on the top instead of on the opposite side to the volume dial. I constantly end up leaving my A3 on as you can't see the light if you have the volume dial facing you. Not that I use either for a portable amp but I am pretty sure the E11 will be a fair bit more practical for this as it is flat not curved. I also much prefered the bass boost on the original E11. It seemed to boost it in a way that suited my headphones much better as well as having 3 different positions instead of 2. Once I get my E11, I may actually consider selling my A3 unless I find some good use for it. I have got used to being able to charge it while in use which I suppose will be hard to do without when I start using the E11 again.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #1,270 of 1,271
Well, if you like it why not buy a second hand E11? Since the battery can be easily replaced, a second hand E11 in good condition could be used for a few more years...

You can find replacement batteries if you look, but does anyone know where to find a battery UPGRADE? I went to the Batteries Plus by my house, and they could order in a replacement, but didn't have access to the same battery type but with a larger capacity. I read a review where the author did this, and I can't think of any better way to get more performance out of this puppy.

Re: E11 bass boost

I love the bass boost switch because to my ears, they boost the bass AND NOTHING ELSE. For me it's invaluable for helping my DT880s sound exactly how I like. Even on setting 2 I can't hear any kind of difference in the mids, though I've read others who say different. Maybe I'm still a rookie audiophile not attuned precisely enough to tell, maybe the others were getting placeboed because it seems like a cheap device shouldn't be so clean, who knows. Maybe it's because I only use setting 2 for my DT880s, and if I tried that with, say, Sennheiser Momentums, it could be a different story.

I've never been able to replicate the precisely controlled boost in a software EQ, though. I wouldn't want to settle for less available boosting, but I've never wished it went any higher than 2, either =D
For a first headphone amp, the E11 has great synergy with my personal tastes. I'm looking at some Meier desktop amps to pair with my Beyers, almost worried I'll be disappointed!

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,271 of 1,271
You can find replacement batteries if you look, but does anyone know where to find a battery UPGRADE? I went to the Batteries Plus by my house, and they could order in a replacement, but didn't have access to the same battery type but with a larger capacity. I read a review where the author did this, and I can't think of any better way to get more performance out of this puppy.

Re: E11 bass boost

I love the bass boost switch because to my ears, they boost the bass AND NOTHING ELSE. For me it's invaluable for helping my DT880s sound exactly how I like. Even on setting 2 I can't hear any kind of difference in the mids, though I've read others who say different. Maybe I'm still a rookie audiophile not attuned precisely enough to tell, maybe the others were getting placeboed because it seems like a cheap device shouldn't be so clean, who knows. Maybe it's because I only use setting 2 for my DT880s, and if I tried that with, say, Sennheiser Momentums, it could be a different story.

I've never been able to replicate the precisely controlled boost in a software EQ, though. I wouldn't want to settle for less available boosting, but I've never wished it went any higher than 2, either =D
For a first headphone amp, the E11 has great synergy with my personal tastes. I'm looking at some Meier desktop amps to pair with my Beyers, almost worried I'll be disappointed!

About the bass boost, there is something better about it than on any other amplifier I have tried. Many people say it messes up the midrange. I can understand it may do if your headphones already have plenty of bass. It is only nessesery to use the boost if you have bass light headphones IMO. With my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s, it sounds great on level 2 so long as the music is a good quality recording. It doesn't mess up the midrange in the slightest.

About batteries, I bought a replacement and it was a 60mAh upgrade as it was 860mAh
biggrin.gif
Even so, it was better as the original battery didn't last anywhere near as long as it used to. In a few months time, my E11 started to play up and I thought it was the battery. I bought another battery and found it was a fault with the E11. I have since bought a 2nd hand E11 that came with the original battery that FiiO sends with it. I now only want to keep one spare and I have 2.

I don't know what to do with the other. I'm pretty sure it is genuine as it has a Nokia sticker on it. I bough it from here:
http://www.accessorycity.co.uk/mobile-phone/battery/bl5b/nokia_5140i.html

This battery is also a little bigger still at 890mAh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back