FiiO E10 with DT770 pro 80
Mar 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sloghunt

New Head-Fier
I have a question regarding the FiiO E10 and the DT770's, I received a new E10 two days ago and I have been doing some listening.

When I compare the E10 against my fathers Pioneer A91D elite series it seems that the sound is pretty similar except for the bass.
When they are hooked up to the Pioneer they have that bass I seem to read about on all the forums which I feel can get a little bit too much at times. But when they are hooked up to my computer and the FiiO I don't get any bass at all if I dont have to bass switch on.

So my question is if the Pioneer is able to provide them with the power that the headphones need to produce that amount of bass and the E10 are not, or is there something else I'm missing?

Might be worth to mention is that I have the EQ flat on the Pioneer, I play mostly flac files on the computer and tried both low and high gain settings on the E10.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 7
The Pioneer probably has high output impedance, which causes a couple dB of bass boost. Also, if it is louder when you make the comparison, it will sound like having more bass due to the way humans perceive the loudness of different frequencies.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Ok, but why is it that I don't get any bass without the bass boost on the E10, and I mean pretty much no bass at all.

Well, no bass is likely an exaggeration, unless your E10 is faulty in some way.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Well, no bass is likely an exaggeration, unless your E10 is faulty in some way.

Maybe, but when you look around the forum and you read about the bass being to much for some people I can't really relate to that except for when I plug it in to my fathers amp.

If I would describe the sound straight out of the E10 with no bass boost I would say that it's completely flat, I can hear a little bit of the bass but it's not what I would call bass. When they are plugged in to the A91D they feel more controlled and tight, with alot more bass.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
E10 with no bass boost on gives you a flat responce signal. your pioneer's chips might be more bass prone(aka more consumer) than neutral.

That might be the case, but I would'nt call the A91D a consumer model due to the fact that they were one of Pioneer's highest quality amps back in the day. But as you say it may be more on the bass side of things.

Edit: I just discovered a setting which I didn't see before on the Pioneer, it was set to loud mode instead of straight. When I switched it over to straight mode I get the same sound as the E10 with no bass. Well then thats it, thanks for answering my questions guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back