Fiio E1 Review Thread
Nov 29, 2009 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

T.IIZUKA

Headphoneus Supremus
I purchased Fiio E1.
Fiio E1 is the head phone amplifier which supplies power source from iPod. Whether just which has an influence on the playback time of iPod it tested.

iPod mini Music playback time: 21 hour 40 minute 11 seconds +α (it fell in the middle of the following tune)

iPod mini + Fiio E1 playback time: 17 hour 25 minute 12 seconds +α(it fell in the middle of the following tune)

discrepancy score: 4 hour 15 minutes

There is the influence with power source supplying in Fiio E1 certainly.
But they are not considerable ones.

It is the special test, continual playback.
Usually, you probably will use intermittently.
If it is intermittent utilization, difference that is thought whether it is not it is reduced.
I think that it is the excellent result.

iPod mini pink (32GB-CF, New Battery)
iPod setting;
Back light timer of 10 seconds.
LCD contrast default.

Playback music: "The Beatles In Mono"
File format iTunes Plus (AAC/256kbps/VBR).
All the 213 tunes, 9h 37m 46s, the play list of 1.03GB repeat playback.

Use headphone: GRADO SR80 (32ohm)

FiioE1+vs+iPod+mini_00.jpg

FiioE1+vs+iPod+mini_01.jpg

It publishes details to also My Blog. (Only Japanese)
TableTop Audio
http://tiiduka.blogspot.com/2009/11/fiio-e1_27.html
http://tiiduka.blogspot.com/2009/11/...nifiio-e1.html

edit;
The title was changed to the general purpose.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.IIZUKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that it is the excellent result.

I think so too. The reduction in battery life isn't significant enough if you recharge your iPod every one or two days.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think so too. The reduction in battery life isn't significant enough if you recharge your iPod every one or two days.

I'm using Fiio E5.
I thought it was better doing the charge management of iPod and E5.

As for sound the place where burn-in it has done but, as for me you think that it is good.
Insert Fiio E1 in the bag and are completed to the cartridge.
This is convenient.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 56
I bought an E1 and received it in the mail about a week ago - first impression... you get what you pay for. I'm not trying to be harsh but I noticed a very slight improvement from the headphone jack to the E1.

My source is a Touch 2G and cans are ATH-50's (love these BTW!), although I only have about 20 hours on the cans right now, still working them in. I listened to a variety of music, Jamey Johnson, Dave Matthews, all at 256, etc... all on the "flat" setting and same volume level.

To me the sound was a bit cleaner and tighter, but it was about $20 better - which is what I paid for the E1
wink.gif
. I am already looking at jumping up and moving to a dedicated portable amp (T3 is my first choice right now) and a good LOD (Qable Performance SE).

That's my quick review of the E1 at this point, should anything change I'll post accordingly.

DTM

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 56
Hi DTM,

Review thank you.
Is your headphone ATH-M50?
M50 Bass is abundant.
I think go together. So you don't think?

It seems like the headphone amplifier whose also iBasso T3 is good.
It is one of the amplifiers which I want.
E1 and T3 were abbreviated Bass Boost. It probably is to be many recently?

E1 management of the battery is unnecessary.
It becomes also the remote control of iPod.
I intend to present to the wife. (Presently, she has used E5)

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 56
Using my 4th gen nano

I switched back to the E5, don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the E1 and maybe i should give them more time, but i just prefer the E5, even if it dangles off my nano.

oh well i guess i have an extra gift to give to someone :p

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #9 of 56
I had not used BassBoost with E5.
But because there is no BassBoost in E1, perhaps the person, as E5 it is.

As for the switch of "volume up/down" and "track selection" , I think that opposite was better.

I am easy to use this one.
(2)(3) = Track Select , (4)(5) Volume

2009102491751203.jpg

It seems that with the production lot of Fiio E1 part design becomes modification.
I welcome the modification of this design.

091126-01.jpg

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 56
Has anybody taken one apart? I just got my E1 and am wondering if you can swap out the opamp. I put an AD8620 in my E5 and it sounds great. I'm not 100% sold on the E1 after listening to it with my hf2s.

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjlee001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody taken one apart? I just got my E1 and am wondering if you can swap out the opamp. I put an AD8620 in my E5 and it sounds great. I'm not 100% sold on the E1 after listening to it with my hf2s.

As for Fiio E5 OPA2338 is loaded.
Information is little concerning OPAMP of Fiio E1 is.
There is only information, "TI make".
I looked at the photographic playback, but type turn was shaved.
The type turn of OPAMP is not ascertained.
There is no detailed information?

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 56
After spend about a day with E1, I found it's better compare to E5, the sound does sound deeper and cleaner, the bass for me is enough and the soundstage sound a bit wider too. However I do find FireyeI still sound the best, but the damn background noise and the bulk size of FireyeI hard to be a portable setup. Here is my current setup

1. iPhone 2G>LOD>E5>UM3X
2. iPhone 2G>E1>UM3X
3. iPhone 2G>wired iPod/iPhone/LOD remote>FireyeI>UM3X

I also find E1 to be more detailed than E5. I got pretty lucky as I just came back from a business trip from Shenzhen China, I was able to pickup 4 E1 at whole seller price. It's gonna be a great Xmas gifts for few of my friend. The whole seller agreed to sell me the E7 as soon as it's out and at just a bit over his cost. Myself actually thinking of importing then to Taiwan and start selling them.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 56
I ordered a Fiio E1 yesterday.. was gonna wait for the black one to come out (sent Fiio an email and they said it would be a month), but it's cheap so i don't mind buying two lol. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back