FiiO E1 + E7 (speculation-no-more) *now guest-starring: E9
Jan 23, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #422 of 622
Damn this thing is just getting better and better..!
wink.gif

Specification wise would the E7 alone drive a 250ohm headphone (Beyer DT 880 for instance?) Or would it be necessary to get the E9 as well..?

Can't wait for this thing to hit the market!

Edit: Any update on sale price?

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #423 of 622
I don't see the e7 having a problem with the dt880 to reasonbly loud volumes.
I believe the impedance is often confused as the deciding factor in how hard a can is to drive. While it does have some affect many cans with much lower impedance are much harer to drive loud and clean. it's not quite as simple as it seems. Lower impedance often can be harder to drive. Just like 4 ohm speakers are much harder for an amp to drive than 8 ohms. I find even the fiio e5 to drive some high impedance cans ok within it's limitations. No, it won't be great, but it certainly has kept many from returning cans that were purchased for portables. It's highly under rated all things considered. I find it amusing that people bash yhe fiio line, however, were it not for the e3, then e5, I wonder how many of the new budget amps and dac's would be flying off the shelves.
I have read many complaints of e5's breaking, however, don't think for a minute that far more e5's have sold, I am amazed at what I see people using (high end cans) with an e3/e5 the fiio line opened up the world of kiving amped to many. Something they won't forget.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #427 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassThor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn this thing is just getting better and better..!
wink.gif

Specification wise would the E7 alone drive a 250ohm headphone (Beyer DT 880 for instance?) Or would it be necessary to get the E9 as well..?

Can't wait for this thing to hit the market!

Edit: Any update on sale price?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- the retail price will not be more the $100, depending on the distributor or sales agent you can possibly get one for as low as $85 online

I'm hoping it'll be easy to get it at $85.

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #428 of 622
guess it was a good thing i held off buying a dac that can be paired with my netbook on the go. cant wait for it to come out

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #429 of 622
been using my E1 for a couple days now. Really wakes up my Mage and sounds great. On some recordings i wish the volume steps were smaller though. Hell on some 1 click is a hair too loud for what i wanna listen to sometimes. Kinda sucks.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #430 of 622
I received a PM asking if I am 'being charged a fee to review the Fiio E7'? I think it is a fair question seeing how close a relationship I have with various manufacturers / distributor / whoever, and it really deserves an opened answer:

No one pays me to review anything, ever. I review stuff as a fellow enthusiast / hobbyist, and do not receive anything but the review sample and a verbal thanks. I also do not sell any of the review sample, so I do not make any money out of them. I live in the middle of nowhere at a third world country, I can't make a living doing review even if I want to. I work in a small family owned bakery; audio is my hobby, but bread is my business.

Over the years I realize a few things: There are a few ways an end user can influence what the product design from a manufacturer. We can either sit back, do nothing, let the manufacturer comes up with something and allow market to decide on which product is worth buying / keeping, or we can come to a forum like Head-Fi then discuss among ourselves and hope that our voice will be heard by somebody who cares. Alternatively, we can actively reach out to the manufacturer and tell them what we, as end user, would like to see on their product. It might surprise you how some of them are actually very willing to listen to constructive product feedback and have a discussion with you.

The problem with the later in a forum like HF is, you might get suspected as a fanboy, a betrayer of trust or even worst, a shill. But if fear is all that matters then we will never get to where we are now. I give my opinion (and relay others' opinions) to FiiO just like I would to anyone who are willing to listen and value my opinion (and a few do). For examples, I sent FiiO the links to all those 'what do you like to see on your amp' features requesting threads and now E7 has extra functions like sleep timer and volume limiter which are not planned at the beginning. Manufacturer doesn't have to be the evil end in the audio business. No doubt they are here to make money, but some of them actually do take pride in offering good product to their customer. We, the user, are in a symbiotic relationship with the manufacturer, but not necessary an antagonistic one. There are common ground b/w us for mutual benefit, and all it takes is some positive attitude from both sides.

Maybe there is a fine line there, but I am willing to risk my name on it. You are free to choose whether to believe me or not, but I have nothing to hide.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #431 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a PM asking if I am 'being charged a fee to review the Fiio E7'? I think it is a fair question seeing how close a relationship I have with various manufacturers / distributor / whoever, and it really deserves an opened answer:

No one pays me to review anything, ever. I review stuff as a fellow enthusiast / hobbyist, and do not receive anything but the review sample and a verbal thanks. I also do not sell any of the review sample, so I do not make any money out of them. I live in the middle of nowhere at a third world country, I can't make a living doing review even if I want to. I work in a small family owned bakery; audio is my hobby, but bread is my business.

Over the years I realize a few things: There are a few ways an end user can influence what the product design from a manufacturer. We can either sit back, do nothing, let the manufacturer comes up with something and allow market to decide on which product is worth buying / keeping, or we can come to a forum like Head-Fi then discuss among ourselves and hope that our voice will be heard by somebody who cares. Alternatively, we can actively reach out to the manufacturer and tell them what we, as end user, would like to see on their product. It might surprise you how some of them are actually very willing to listen to constructive product feedback and have a discussion with you.

The problem with the later in a forum like HF is, you might get suspected as a fanboy, a betrayer of trust or even worst, a shill. But if fear is all that matters then we will never get to where we are now. I give my opinion (and relay others' opinions) to FiiO just like I would to anyone who are willing to listen and value my opinion (and a few do). For examples, I sent FiiO the links to all those 'what do you like to see on your amp' features requesting threads and now E7 has extra functions like sleep timer and volume limiter which are not planned at the beginning. Manufacturer doesn't have to be the evil end in the audio business. No doubt they are here to make money, but some of them actually do take pride in offering good product to their customer. We, the user, are in a symbiotic relationship with the manufacturer, but not necessary an antagonistic one. There are common ground b/w us for mutual benefit, and all it takes is some positive attitude from both sides.

Maybe there is a fine line there, but I am willing to risk my name on it. You are free to choose whether to believe me or not, but I have nothing to hide.

Well said and stemming from great wisdom and thought. It's sad that it had to be a response to someone's narrow-minded ignorance. I'm glad that you have moved beyond that.
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #432 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As always........your comments ooze of class....Thanks for sharing.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #433 of 622
I want to apologize to the person who PMed me as it isn't his/her intention to accuse me of anything, but I just took the chance to discuss the situation as it is something that should be open and transparent. It is not narrow-minded ignorance, but a very legit question that I don't often find the chance to answer. It will be narrow-minded if people starts concluding before questioning.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #434 of 622
i wonder how much you'd charge anyway hahaha
500 USD per review?

comm`on anybody will be thrilled to receive new gear to play with.
But if you put economics into scale, the average enthusiast here would have spent close to 2-3k at least on products for their own enjoyment and taking the time out to review the product and share their opinions.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #435 of 622
Thanks for your thoughts on the issue, ClieOS. Though I am not as steadfast about not selling off my used gear as you are, I don't feel that I have any more of an obligation to comment positively on samples than I do to like products that I purchased (the vast majority of them). As I've said before, hawking a product unjustly may potentially get me more gear, but what use are new product samples if I lose the trust of the community? Worthless.

People making these accusations in-thread often get ganged up on by long-time members but their concerns are rarely addressed as patiently and logically as you have here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back