FiiO E1 + E7 (speculation-no-more) *now guest-starring: E9
Jan 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #407 of 622
Got my E1 today. Definitely a lot of room for improvement. The cable is way too long, the buttons are too sensitive, there's no locking switch, the plug doesn't sit completely flush, the buttons are too close together, it's impossible to use the clip without pressing a button...

Definitely a noiticeable SQ improvement though. It brings out the bass a lot, even to excess with my TF10s.

Am I correct in thinking that the playback control buttons don't work with Rockbox? That, to me, is a good thing. Think I'll do that this weekend.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #408 of 622
I've had my E1 for a couple of weeks now too.

Overall I love it, it exactly improved the SQ as the reviews suggested on my iTouch 3G (bass back to where it should be, mids & trebles more defined & everything less fizzy).

When I got mine, the buttons didn't work right - eg. the volume up button would start/stop playback, or skip tracks. After pressing all the buttons hard though it suddenly worked as it should (guess there was a minor manufacturing issue making them interact until broken in).

At first it was annoying to hit buttons every time you clip it on something, but I've now developed a technique of holding it at the sides during clipping which mostly works without triggering anything.

One issue though, the play button isn't raised enough, or tactily (is that a word?) noticable enough to find it blind with your fingers, and I'm often changing volume instead of pausing/unpausing. I hope they can address this with a slight design change.

I also would like a mic socket (stereo if possible), especially for field recording possibilites, but also voice control, voice notes etc. I also wouldn't mind a slightly bigger remote if the connector could be made significantly smaller (I believe the amp electronics are at the connector) - it makes the whole contraption a little bulky in my pocket.

But on the whole, I got my remote, and most importantly, the SQ to make me love my music again - I always loved it on my iRiver H140, which is probably still slightly better SQ-wise - but I'm happy enough to defect
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #409 of 622
The playback buttons work in Rockbox 3.4 on my iPod Video 5G 60GB. However, I like the drag and drop functionality of Rockbox. Unfortunately it crashes literally every 5 minutes. The iPod backlight just turns off and I have to hard-reset it with select+menu. Might start a new thread about it, I thought Rockbox was meant to be fairly stable on iPods...

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #410 of 622
I've never had a single issue with Rockbox on my 5.5g 80GB. Running the latest version (updated yesterday). It's even seamless when charging; it charges within Rockbox and then I unplug it and can immediately listen to it. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is how to have Windows see the iPod as a hard drive when in Rockbox's USB mode; I still have to boot to the OF to get that functionality, then have to do a hard reset to get back into Rockbox.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #411 of 622
I have word that black ones are out and i believe most resellers have brought in stock.
However, the white ones are stockpiled, so until that is cleared, black ones are elusive and will remain so for a period of time.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #412 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent an e-mail to Fiio and it answered a lot of questions regarding the production and release of the E7.

Since English is not their native language it was a bit choppy so I will sum it up instead of quoting them:

- they are having issues meeting demand for the PCM2706 part from Texas Instruments
- they can finish production in 20 days from receiving the shipment from TI, however, they have no idea when the shipment from TI is coming in...
- they have enough parts (PCM2706) to make about 50 E7s this month, but those will all be sent out as review samples and samples for sales agents and distributors
- mass production will not likely begin until March due to the Chinese New Year which takes place from Feb 10 to March 1
- the retail price will not be more the $100, depending on the distributor or sales agent you can possibly get one for as low as $85 online

Thanks for the update, I was wondering when those E7's were going to show up... So sometime late March would be a good bet to start seeing them getting stocked at retailers, cool.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #413 of 622
A small update to you guys: The pre-production batch will be ready soon and as mentioned before, they are for review and mainly sample for distributor. I do have the final spec with me now but I will have to translate it first. Judging from what I have read from the spec, it will be one of the most feature rich portable amp + DAC in the market.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #414 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A small update to you guys: The pre-production batch will be ready soon and as mentioned before, they are for review and mainly sample for distributor. I do have the final spec with me now but I will have to translate it first. Judging from what I have read from the spec, it will be one of the most feature rich portable amp + DAC in the market.

Maan waiting the whole day for the translation
ph34r.gif
. I kind of look up every hour. I am really excited to hear news about this E7. By the way thanks on the impressions on the iBasso T3D.

Cheerio

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #416 of 622
I hope this is comparable to the NuForce uDAC. The uDAC has great performance for the price but the E7 trumps it with portability...

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #417 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this is comparable to the NuForce uDAC. The uDAC has great performance for the price but the E7 trumps it with portability...

And the sleek-ness
icon10.gif
!

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #418 of 622
Quote:

I'm sure you get tired of us asking.......but, any new info about when the E9 may begin production?

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #419 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you get tired of us asking.......but, any new info about when the E9 may begin production?

I don't know when, but my guess is it will be likely on 2nd quarter this year because of E7's delay.

Also, with permission from FiiO, here is the official E7 user manual.

Here are only the main features:
  1. USB audio decoding and output for PC, functioning as a high quality external USB soundcard*;
  2. Texas Instruments‟ PCM2706 serves as USB receiver. For better sound quality, a Wolfson WM8740 serves as digital-to-analog convertor (DAC), pairing with a high performance operational amplifier from ADI for the DAC circuit;
  3. Build-in headphone amplifier utilizing Texas Instruments‟ OPA2338 and TPA6130A as pre- and power-amp for high performance, good resolution, low distortion, and powerful output;
  4. Standard 3.5mm stereo line-in jack for portable amplification with conventional audio source;
  5. Dual 3.5mm headphone output jack. Convenient design makes it easy to share music between two listeners;
  6. World‟s first portable headphone amplifier with dual colors OLED display;
  7. Easy to use digital volume control function with great precision and channel balance;
  8. Build-in EQ for 3 levels of Bass Boost;
  9. Build-in rechargeable 1050 mAH Li-ion battery for 80 hours of continuous operation**;
  10. Specialized dock for connecting E9*** to experience an even higher performance;
  11. Quality anodized aluminum satin finish case design, small and compact, ideal to be wrapped together with digital audio player;
  12. User selectable USB charging function to help prolong battery lifespan and lower distortion from power supply circuit;
  13. User definable startup volume memory and maximum volume limiter to protect user from hearing damage due to loud volume;
  14. Automatic keylock feature;
  15. User definable sleep timer function and total runtime display****.
[size=x-small]* This model supports driverless plug and play on Windows XP, Windows 2000, Vista, Windows 7, and various Mac OS.

** Full battery charge via computer USB port after 200 minutes and capable of 80 hours of continuous operation, tested under laboratory condition for evaluative purpose only.

*** E9 is a desktop amplifier with greater output, better performance and an integrated E7 specified dock connector. With the dock, E7 can easily establish a line-out connection with E9 and transform both together into a high performance desktop amp with USB decoding function, capable of PC connection and recharging functions, etc.

**** Total system runtime will accumulate from the first use. It will be reset to zero after either reset button is pressed, reloading default setting, or when the battery depleted.[/size]

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #420 of 622
Quote:

I don't know when, but my guess is it will be likely on 2nd quarter this year because of E7's delay.

Also, with permission from FiiO, here is the official E7 user manual.

Here are only the main features:
  1. USB audio decoding and output for PC, functioning as a high quality external USB soundcard*;
  2. Texas Instruments‟ PCM2706 serves as USB receiver. For better sound quality, a Wolfson WM8740 serves as digital-to-analog convertor (DAC), pairing with a high performance operational amplifier from ADI for the DAC circuit;
  3. Build-in headphone amplifier utilizing Texas Instruments‟ OPA2338 and TPA6130A as pre- and power-amp for high performance, good resolution, low distortion, and powerful output;
  4. Standard 3.5mm stereo line-in jack for portable amplification with conventional audio source;
  5. Dual 3.5mm headphone output jack. Convenient design makes it easy to share music between two listeners;
  6. World‟s first portable headphone amplifier with dual colors OLED display;
  7. Easy to use digital volume control function with great precision and channel balance;
  8. Build-in EQ for 3 levels of Bass Boost;
  9. Build-in rechargeable 1050 mAH Li-ion battery for 80 hours of continuous operation**;
  10. Specialized dock for connecting E9*** to experience an even higher performance;
  11. Quality anodized aluminum satin finish case design, small and compact, ideal to be wrapped together with digital audio player;
  12. User selectable USB charging function to help prolong battery lifespan and lower distortion from power supply circuit;
  13. User definable startup volume memory and maximum volume limiter to protect user from hearing damage due to loud volume;
  14. Automatic keylock feature;
  15. User definable sleep timer function and total runtime display****.
[size=x-small]* This model supports driverless plug and play on Windows XP, Windows 2000, Vista, Windows 7, and various Mac OS.

** Full battery charge via computer USB port after 200 minutes and capable of 80 hours of continuous operation, tested under laboratory condition for evaluative purpose only.

*** E9 is a desktop amplifier with greater output, better performance and an integrated E7 specified dock connector. With the dock, E7 can easily establish a line-out connection with E9 and transform both together into a high performance desktop amp with USB decoding function, capable of PC connection and recharging functions, etc.

**** Total system runtime will accumulate from the first use. It will be reset to zero after either reset button is pressed, reloading default setting, or when the battery depleted.[/size]

Amazing one, isn't it?
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back