FiiO E1 + E7 (speculation-no-more) *now guest-starring: E9
Dec 13, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #317 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well certainly I don't think the E5 is marketed at your Zune HD, which doesn't have Line-Out.

I have used it with a nano and line out.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #318 of 622
Quote:

circa 80 USD. Yes, it can be used as a DAC via USB, and an Amp by line-in.

Okay sweet thanks. And at that price how is it going to compare with other amps. Like the Icon Mobile and maybe some of the Ibassos?

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #319 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay sweet thanks. And at that price how is it going to compare with other amps. Like the Icon Mobile and maybe some of the Ibassos?

If their prices are more than "circa 80 USD", then the E7 will be cheaper.

What more can I say?
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #320 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not when the Amp in their DAP is just as good.

Good thing I don't find my Nano4's amp to be 'just as good' then
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #321 of 622
Quote:

If their prices are more than "circa 80 USD", then the E7 will be cheaper.

What more can I say?
tongue.gif

I think unl3a5h3d meant their audio performance vs the Nuforce and Ibasso products in roughly the same price range (Icon mobile, T4, T3 maybe?).

Fiio should really get some prototypes out there, I would love to know how it performs myself. And I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to compare the E7 to other 300+ dollar amps, it's unlikely that the BOM to build those products is anywhere near the price you pay, add to that the fact that Fiio is mass producing the E7 and taking advantage of economies of scale while some of the other amps are made by small or even one man shops, and it's perfectly plausible that the E7 might not sound too far off while coming in at a much lower price point. The Ibasso T3 seems to perform pretty competitively against those more expensive amps at nearly 1/3 the cost.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #322 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's unlikely that the BOM to build those products is anywhere near the price you pay, add to that the fact that Fiio is mass producing the E7 and taking advantage of economies of scale while some of the other amps are made by small or even one man shops, and it's perfectly plausible that the E7 might not sound too far off while coming in at a much lower price point.

+1. it actually costs very little to manufacture electronics and the price you pay is usually EXTREMELY marked up. i remember reading an article the cost to build an ipod is about $100 but they charge about $300-400 for it. yeah i know you need to consider the R&D that was put into developing it, but still... it's a pretty hefty markup.

also, think about the recent TF10 sale... i guarantee you that they were still making a good amount of money even when they were selling it off at $99, think about how much they were making with the MSRP of $400.

Same with the head-direct products, they start out around $200 and eventually drop down to $80 within a year and they're still probably making a killing on it.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #323 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1. it actually costs very little to manufacture electronics and the price you pay is usually EXTREMELY marked up. i remember reading an article the cost to build an ipod is about $100 but they charge about $300-400 for it. yeah i know you need to consider the R&D that was put into developing it, but still... it's a pretty hefty markup.

also, think about the recent TF10 sale... i guarantee you that they were still making a good amount of money even when they were selling it off at $99, think about how much they were making with the MSRP of $400.

Same with the head-direct products, they start out around $200 and eventually drop down to $80 within a year and they're still probably making a killing on it.

+2.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #325 of 622
Capitalism, thought not pretty, isn't necessary dirty as long as it heads toward the right direction with careful regulation and moderation. I remember when I start paying with lower end amps a few years ago, a typical decent cmoy (not even the best one) can cost up to $80 on eBay. Now you can find them on the $40 range. For those of you who come later on the game, you should realize that something like sub-$100 DAC/AMP such as E7 and NuForce icon mobile, or even the $20 amp like E5 was almost unimaginable just a few years back.

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #326 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Capitalism, thought not pretty, isn't necessary dirty as long as it heads toward the right direction with careful regulation and moderation. I remember when I start paying with lower end amps a few years ago, a typical decent cmoy (not even the best one) can cost up to $80 on eBay. Now you can find them on the $40 range. For those of you who come later on the game, you should realize that something like sub-$100 DAC/AMP such as E7 and NuForce icon mobile, or even the $20 amp like E5 was almost unimaginable just a few years back.

What a Quote......The e5 at 20 dollars was a pipe dream only a few years ago, like the e5 or not, it can make a huge difference for the better with portables and laptops, at least with many cans. It might not be considered high end, but it's better than many headphone outs on mass market Receivers. Most people are shocked when they hear it (those that never used a headphone amp)

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #327 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i for one, hope that some diyer here will be able to do this, AND also change the cable to a better one. i'm sure there will be further improvement in the sound!

If I shorten the cable on mine successfully, i'll do it to yours too if you pay the shipping.
beerchug.gif

Still waiting for mine! Ordered on the 19th/11, and didn't leave HK's postal service until the 7th/12 - Hope it comes tomorrow
evil_smiley.gif

Matt

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #328 of 622
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I shorten the cable on mine successfully, i'll do it to yours too if you pay the shipping.
beerchug.gif

Just a heads-up for you: I was told there are 6 wires inside, so it will be some soldering there
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #330 of 622
I have just started reading about amps and dac.

Would the E9 be better than a cmoy for starting out?

Also if the E9 has an amp/dac combination can that be utilized to the fullest with my iPod classic?

I have been reading through some of the posts trying to learn stuff, so far those are the only questions that I have.
Thanks,
Gotwake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back