FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Dec 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #301 of 1,676
Quote:
It is a present...
But if you wont offend anyone then why not

I requested it so it's okay :p I didn't look around that much though and settled on the E7. It would be fine to exchange with Amazon. Is the E07K much better? Would I get a huge improvement if I exchanged instead of just keeping my E7?

Thanks Panda.
Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #302 of 1,676
Quote:
I requested it so it's okay :p I didn't look around that much though and settled on the E7. It would be fine to exchange with Amazon. Is the E07K much better? Would I get a huge improvement if I exchanged instead of just keeping my E7?

Thanks Panda.
Merry Christmas!

Never had the E7 but the E07K is quite a good unit for the price.

Might as well. You get a huge power outage boost. 

Merry Christmas to you as well Deb-man. 
L3000.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #304 of 1,676
Quote:
How are the L3 & L9 LODs paired with this beast. I currently own these two and hopefully won't need anything else and the fit will be nice.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on what you are using it with. L9 pairs well with iPhone/iOS devices with the E17, E7 and E07K. It gives you a very utilitarian design that doesn't leave a loose wire around.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #306 of 1,676
Thanks for this article!!!

I bought it to use with my laptop, my Grado SR225i, and a pair of ultrasones, especially by the DAC part. I am very satisfied with the purchase and I really like the results I am getting.

I have no technical words or the experience to make a review, but I can say that I like much more than uDac2 and Icon iDo (both sold some time ago). I like that it has several gains for mating with my low impedance headphones. I usually listen to music at very low volumes, and a rarely turn the volume to more than 30 with 0db gain when using it with the Grados.

Question:

If I use 99.98% of the time with my laptop connected via USB, should I disable the USB charging option from time to time to increase the life span of the battery?

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #307 of 1,676
Quote:
Thanks for this article!!!

I bought it to use with my laptop, my Grado SR225i, and a pair of ultrasones, especially by the DAC part. I am very satisfied with the purchase and I really like the results I am getting.

I have no technical words or the experience to make a review, but I can say that I like much more than uDac2 and Icon iDo (both sold some time ago). I like that it has several gains for mating with my low impedance headphones. I usually listen to music at very low volumes, and a rarely turn the volume to more than 30 with 0db gain when using it with the Grados.

Question:

If I use 99.98% of the time with my laptop connected via USB, should I disable the USB charging option from time to time to increase the life span of the battery?

Correct Panda Battery Procedure:
When the device is in use, do not use USB charge. Turn it off. When the E17/E07K is on it's final bar of battery, turn USB charge(or the USB cable) on and charge it to full. And then unplug or turn off USB charge and use until you are on your last bar of battery left. When you see the bars reduce to one, it would be best to start charging(sometimes you are out, and you can't, that's understandable, a few times won't hurt). Li-ion batteries like the one's found the in the FiiO E17 Alpen's don't react well to a full cycle of charge and FULLY de charge until the battery is dead. This has been proven to be actually bad to the life of li-ioin batteries. HOWEVER., you should do a full cycle where you fully charge up the device and use it all the way until the device automatically turns off ONCE every month or two as that has been shown to actually be good for the battery WHETHER you use it constantly or not. Do not fear my friend, even if USB charge is turned off when the device "dies" it will still charge after it runs out of power naturally as the E17/E07K's firmware will reset!

Li-ION batteris on general will last effectively 1000 complete charges before battery drops below about ~70% of the original storage. This is still acceptable by most consumers standards.

20 hours full battery life * 1000 effective uses =20,000 hours / 24 hours a day = 833 days theoretically before the E07K under theoretical conditions will decrease to 70% of its original storage life and this is with a full depletion and then charge cycle. And that is 24 hour usage as well.

FiiO currently reports that they will send replacement parts for a very low price. The battery is not that hard to user replace(but not under warranty). 

Partial charges for Li-ION's are better but of course constantly doing partial ones has also been reported to have an effect on the device as well which is why I recommend to charge before all power is gone and to charge till full.

The last point to make is that you can't use a device if you keep on babying it. Using a device and enjoying it is part of that batteries intent and life cycle. Honeslty, ANYTHING you do to it will have an effect on battery life. The majority of the time, it is a minute effect to something like an audio device. (This advice does not hold for Power Wheels, those buggers need proper battery handling). Enjoy the device, theoretically it will hold up well for many years.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/battery_performance_as_a_function_of_cycling
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on batteries. I am self taught. Please correct me if something is wrong. But use sources and not just something your papa or person told you to always do.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #309 of 1,676
Probably will only affect a few, but I am sorry to say the Andes doesn't work as a USB DAC with the Nokia n8, unlike the old E7 which worked beautifully.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #312 of 1,676
Quote:
I have Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Sennheiser HD428s and Shure se215s which I use mainly through my iPod Touch 4th generation, do you think the Andes would be a good amp to use for them?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638910/fiio-e07k-andes-review-and-help-thread#post_8914241

I just added it to my Q and A section.

Please get in the habit of using it guys. Thank you :) 
gs1000.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #315 of 1,676
Hello head-fi, I recently picked up the Andes, and while I am quite content with its performance as an amp, I'm having some trouble getting it to work as a usb dac out of my pc. The included instructions seemed to imply that it was basically a plug-and-play device: simply make sure that it is set as the audio output device. Here's my problem: my pc recognizes it and sets it as the audio output device, yet I get no sound through it (winamp). Am I missing some drivers or something? I would very much appreciate any assistance you could offer me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back