FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Dec 21, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #241 of 1,676
shoulda gone with telus :D

Aren't these the exact same models but different bloatware? I would but I'm seriously locked in with Robber's.

Anyways, got a reply back from FiiO that using a DAC for smartphones is not supported so back this unit goes as I have the E17/E09k and E11 so the E07k is pretty well useless for me now.

I think I'll get the Leckerton or iBasso as I believe those are known to be working. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #242 of 1,676
Quote:
There are different. Mac is a lot warmer with more vocal forwardness but not enough clarity.
It depends on what you like. Technically, it is superior but hey, it allcomes down to preference

vocal forwardness is the term I was looking for. THANKS!
Still I'm already happy with it!
Soon my impressions when I test it on ipad
Matias 

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #243 of 1,676
Quote:
vocal forwardness is the term I was looking for. THANKS!
Still I'm already happy with it!
Soon my impressions when I test it on ipad
Matias 

What iPad do you plan to use, possibly the iPad mini :) ?

Crossing my fingers that it has enough power for the E07 or that i could do the USB hack - or is this a pipe dream and just scrub that idea

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #244 of 1,676
I connected the ipad 3 to the Andes via CCK and then USB. It works! If I turn the charging via usb the ipad shows an error message and no music comes out.
I have the suspect that by doing this I'm not bypassing the ipad's DAC as stated for the Fiio E7. I say this because the sound quality slightly improved, but mostly because the volume control on the music player on the ipad (iTunes) is still working. I suppose it shouldn't
Matias

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #245 of 1,676
Quote:
I connected the ipad 3 to the Andes via CCK and then USB. It works! If I turn the charging via usb the ipad shows an error message and no music comes out.
I have the suspect that by doing this I'm not bypassing the ipad's DAC as stated for the Fiio E7. I say this because the sound quality slightly improved, but mostly because the volume control on the music player on the ipad (iTunes) is still working. I suppose it shouldn't
Matias

That is because you are then asking the iPad to send more power than allowed (100Ma limit before the error message)

You are currently bypassing the iPad's DAC with CCK and USB an USB chg turned off.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #246 of 1,676
Yes! turning off the charging via usb on the Andes everything works great. I only was surprised that volume control on ipad still worked. But then if if say Panda that it's normal, then ok!
I find my gear still very portable.
Really good choice and thanks to the forum that gave me a lot of info!!
Matias

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #247 of 1,676
Quote:
Yes! turning off the charging via usb on the Andes everything works great. I only was surprised that volume control on ipad still worked. But then if if say Panda that it's normal, then ok!
Matias

Keep the volume at 100% on the iPad. Use volume control on E07K

If you want to know why, read the next 2-3 posts here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/5025#post_8962218

If it hasn't been said yet:
"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your Wallet"

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #248 of 1,676
Quote:
Matias

Yes, that is normal. Just turn the iPad volume all the way up so that only one device is attenuating the volume. The sound quality *should* be the same on an iPad, Android phone, PC, etc. since they are just transporting bits of data. That's actually how I discovered that my PC version of Spotify had reverted back to a lower bitrate. I listened to a reference album that I'd just heard on the iPad and it sounded worse. Sure enough, "high quality streaming" was unchecked on the desktop version of Spotify.

Edit: sorry for the redundant info... the above post wasn't there yet when I started my reply.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #249 of 1,676
There we go! ipad (volume 100%) >CCK > Fiio Andes (DAC and amp.) > headphones sound a lot better than using ipad's DAC.

Concerning comparison between mac's dac and Fiio Andes' DAC they are very close in quality, but different; just a matter of taste. I personally find mac's DAC a bit superior, just using my words, it sounds a bit more tridimensional, like more space between instruments and registers.

Matias

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #250 of 1,676
Quote:
There we go! ipad (volume 100%) >CCK > Fiio Andes (DAC and amp.) > headphones sound a lot better than using ipad's DAC.

Concerning comparison between mac's dac and Fiio Andes' DAC they are very close in quality, but different; just a matter of taste. I personally find mac's DAC a bit superior, just using my words, it sounds a bit more tridimensional, like more space between instruments and registers.

Matias

superior implies technically better. Just saying 
biggrin.gif
. Maybe another word with another connotation would fit better.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #253 of 1,676
So just got the e7 and it does work with the US galaxy S3. The order to put in the cable was tricky though. You have to connect the otg wire first to the phone then connect it to the use dac.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #254 of 1,676
IT WORKED!  I used the Trial Version of "USB Audio Recorder Pro".  (I will now have to buy the full version).

Phone Specs: 

- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S III running stock Android 4.1.2

- Kernel Version: 3.0.48-cyanogemod-ge67063c

Instructions (That worked for me).

- Install USB Audio Recorder Pro (Did not open after install) / Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro

- Plugged in E07K using this cable:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MI79HO

- Made sure E07K Charge Mode is Off

- Open the USB Audio Recorder Pro app

- Once running, use these settings:  44.1 / 24bit / FLAC.

Worked like a charm! 

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #255 of 1,676
Quote:
So just got the e7 and it does work with the US galaxy S3. The order to put in the cable was tricky though. You have to connect the otg wire first to the phone then connect it to the use dac.

But can you repeat this while the device is on or do you have to restart or power down each time???

I managed to get audio from E17 with the E09k dock but lost it after I disconnected it.  It seems I get better results if I leave the phone powered off for awhile and then try after powering on.

I think some of the E07k units are a bit power hungry cause the symptoms are the same when I try to plug in the E17 docked, powered with another USB power line and unpowered.  I also tried the E07k in the E09k dock, got sound once and lost it.

I think the best for sure route at a reasonable price is the iBasso D-Zero dac/amp.  It's better than the E7 but costs a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back