FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #151 of 1,676
Quote:
Everybody asks questions on noticeable sound quality difference and my answer would be this.

If you do any sport, can I A BYSTANDER tell you what type of competition you do best in? Right off the bat without you ever trying and knowing little about you. I wouldn't tell a track team newbie that he will do fantastic in the 200m run and neither would I tell a swim team joinee that just joined that he will probably be best in the butterfly. I can't tell if that new outdoorsmen prefers the rifle or the shotgun and what type and I also can't tell what style of ski's and equipment they would go with best.

So how would you find out. Experience it. Trial and error. Everybody's "noticeable sound quality difference" matters to themselves. Some people would pay $50K for those smaller and smaller increments of sound perfection while others would buy an $100 combo unit and call it done. How noticeable it is and how a person rationalizes it is different. Sure that $50K unit sounds better but would you pay it. That is the question, whether you can hear it and then if you would pay that money for it.

If you have an iPod just use LOD. Some Zune's have LOD's I think...maybe? I'm not sure, don't quote me on this. 

That is very true, honestly I WISH I could do Trial and Error, but i dont wanna drop the money and then be disappointed by it. I kind of wish there was a way though to test the differences on the spot. But i do appreciate your response, but, i guess, ill ask your opinion then, 

if u had the option to choose between the Zune HD, iPod Classic, or a PSP for On-the-go music, which would u choose? 

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #152 of 1,676
Quote:
That is very true, honestly I WISH I could do Trial and Error, but i dont wanna drop the money and then be disappointed by it. I kind of wish there was a way though to test the differences on the spot. But i do appreciate your response, but, i guess, ill ask your opinion then, 

if u had the option to choose between the Zune HD, iPod Classic, or a PSP for On-the-go music, which would u choose? 

This is the kind of hobby we live in. Malaysia is the easiest place to test those. 

iPod Classic. 

Zune HD and PSP are too....faulty and not as clear as I would want it to be. DAC of the PSP and Zune HD in its implementation I believe doesn't even sound as good. Obviously you can't tell the DAC sections of those units as there is no line out but that is just me.

iPod Classic is more or less the most popular option around here. Ok. The iPod Classic and iPod 5G style iPods is what I mean. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #153 of 1,676
Quote:

Well, for strictly on-the-go, with no amp, I guess I'd say Zune HD over the Classic, simply because it is flash memory and not a HDD. But I wasn't fond of the Zune software, really....a step down from iTunes for sure. And who knows how much longer it will be supported? A Touch would be a better option than a Classic for on-the-go, and also better than a Zune HD in multiple ways. (I've owned all three of them)

As far as a PSP, I have no opinion there......never had one or even tried one.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #154 of 1,676
Quote:
Well, for strictly on-the-go, with no amp, I guess I'd say Zune HD over the Classic, simply because it is flash memory and not a HDD. But I wasn't fond of the Zune software, really....a step down from iTunes for sure. And who knows how much longer it will be supported? A Touch would be a better option than a Classic for on-the-go, and also better than a Zune HD in multiple ways. (I've owned all three of them)

As far as a PSP, I have no opinion there......never had one or even tried one.

I don't see how flash memory or an HDD matters to an iPod. The only benefit would be that flash uses less power and is more stable to drops. But that doesn't matter as the Zune's battery life is lower as it is a multi purpose device(that has been discontintued) and dropping a Zune with its touchscreen will crack it anyway while an iPod Classic has been known to be very sturdy.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #155 of 1,676
Quote:
I don't see how flash memory or an HDD matters to an iPod. The only benefit would be that flash uses less power and is more stable to drops. But that doesn't matter as the Zune's battery life is lower as it is a multi purpose device(that has been discontintued) and dropping a Zune with its touchscreen will crack it anyway while an iPod Classic has been known to be very sturdy.

The Zune HD is really not much of a multi-purpose device....there were hardly any apps for it, and the screen was too small for web browsing, so most people only used them for music....and the battery life was decent. And sure, it has been discontinued....that's why I went on to recommend the Touch over both the Zune HD and the Classic for portable use.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #156 of 1,676
Quote:
The Zune HD is really not much of a multi-purpose device....there were hardly any apps for it, and the screen was too small for web browsing, so most people only used them for music....and the battery life was decent. And sure, it has been discontinued....that's why I went on to recommend the Touch over both the Zune HD and the Classic for portable use.

Well I would say that the Touch and Classic both have their uses. The touch being very highly multi tasking worthy complete with an already pretty good DAC and the iPod Classic with not so much multi tasking but a lot of space for songs and good battery and also good DAC. Only Classics and iPod 5G's use WM's

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #157 of 1,676
Quote:
Well I would say that the Touch and Classic both have their uses. The touch being very highly multi tasking worthy complete with an already pretty good DAC and the iPod Classic with not so much multi tasking but a lot of space for songs and good battery and also good DAC. Only Classics and iPod 5G's use WM's

If by that you mean the Wolfson DAC, the Classic uses a Cirrus Logic one, like the newer Touches do.  The 5G and 5.5G iPod Videos, and some of the older models preceding them, use the Wolfson.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #158 of 1,676
So I'm trying and failing to find my way here. Instead of making a new thread I figured I'd ask my question here. So here is what I'm looking for:\

I need a DAC amp for my computer. Currently, I am using an on board card that came with my Mother board and it supports 24/192 and has an optical out. I use with my m50s and gr04 pro flagships and may upgrade sometime soon.

- In regards to the dac, I would also like to have the ability to take this thing on the go. My DAP is a 5.5gen iPod Classic, and soon will also be a Samsung Galaxy S3 from North America(Not international). I would like portable dac/ amp that will work with this set up for on the go use. 

- In regards to the amp, I would like something that can both play well to headphones, but also have the ability to play to speakers and a sub as well. My speakers will be the Dayton B652 and the sub will be a dayton sub1000. I listen to music equally from both. I am looking for the best sound quality but also the least overlap. 

Now For amps I am currently between the Schiit modi and magni combo, but that really leaves out portable use. I was also considering the Lepai LP 2020 but that leaves out mobile use as well. So here is my question, Will the Fiio E7K in conjunction with the Fiio E9K fit the bill perfectly for what I am looking for? If not do you have any help you can offer me. From my stuff you can see my price range.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #159 of 1,676
Quote:
This is the kind of hobby we live in. Malaysia is the easiest place to test those. 

iPod Classic. 

Zune HD and PSP are too....faulty and not as clear as I would want it to be. DAC of the PSP and Zune HD in its implementation I believe doesn't even sound as good. Obviously you can't tell the DAC sections of those units as there is no line out but that is just me.

iPod Classic is more or less the most popular option around here. Ok. The iPod Classic and iPod 5G style iPods is what I mean. 

Thats what i expected, btw i got my memory to work for a little and i DO remember using my iPod nano5G, i actually did like the quality MUCH better on that than my PSP.

It wasnt like it was  HUGE difference but it seem to just in general sound better.

Again, you have no idea how much you and everyone has helped, i appreciate all your knowledge on this.

And, not fooling this time, one question left, again based on your opinion,
I found an iPod classic 6th Gen 80GB used, but still in good condition for 95$ flat
Do you think thats a pretty good deal?

I kno this is not the place to ask, but i would imagine it doesnt hurt to ask.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #160 of 1,676
Quote:
If by that you mean the Wolfson DAC, the Classic uses a Cirrus Logic one, like the newer Touches do.  The 5G and 5.5G iPod Videos, and some of the older models preceding them, use the Wolfson.

older classics use Wolfson's. I stated that. iPods and Apple devices pre 2008 all used Wolfson's...well virtually. In 2012, the use of Wolfson has returned although only as a minor role
Quote:
So I'm trying and failing to find my way here. Instead of making a new thread I figured I'd ask my question here. So here is what I'm looking for:\

I need a DAC amp for my computer. Currently, I am using an on board card that came with my Mother board and it supports 24/192 and has an optical out. I use with my m50s and gr04 pro flagships and may upgrade sometime soon.

- In regards to the dac, I would also like to have the ability to take this thing on the go. My DAP is a 5.5gen iPod Classic, and soon will also be a Samsung Galaxy S3 from North America(Not international). I would like portable dac/ amp that will work with this set up for on the go use. 

- In regards to the amp, I would like something that can both play well to headphones, but also have the ability to play to speakers and a sub as well. My speakers will be the Dayton B652 and the sub will be a dayton sub1000. I listen to music equally from both. I am looking for the best sound quality but also the least overlap. 

Now For amps I am currently between the Schiit modi and magni combo, but that really leaves out portable use. I was also considering the Lepai LP 2020 but that leaves out mobile use as well. So here is my question, Will the Fiio E7K in conjunction with the Fiio E9K fit the bill perfectly for what I am looking for? If not do you have any help you can offer me. From my stuff you can see my price range.

The iPod Classic 5.5 is supeiror to audio than the S3. Use your phone as a phone and iPod+amp as music. You save space on teh S3 and also get a better device with the iPod

Yes that is what you are looking for but the new Schiit DAC is pretty nice. AKM4396

You could do all that you want with an E17 but it wouldn't be as superior to the new Schiit offerings probably. With an L7, you can send DAC line out signal to your speakers. Keep in mind that this only works with powered/Active speakers.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #161 of 1,676
Quote:
Thats what i expected, btw i got my memory to work for a little and i DO remember using my iPod nano5G, i actually did like the quality MUCH better on that than my PSP.

It wasnt like it was  HUGE difference but it seem to just in general sound better.

Again, you have no idea how much you and everyone has helped, i appreciate all your knowledge on this.

And, not fooling this time, one question left, again based on your opinion,
I found an iPod classic 6th Gen 80GB used, but still in good condition for 95$ flat
Do you think thats a pretty good deal?

I kno this is not the place to ask, but i would imagine it doesnt hurt to ask.

It's up to you....really. You think 80GB is enough? Do you want an iPod and are you going to be using the Andes for it or something.

What headphones you use again. Sorry, all your newbie avatars are the same and there have been like 4 of you in the past 3 days so I forgot. M50 and something right?

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #162 of 1,676
Quote:
It's up to you....really. You think 80GB is enough? Do you want an iPod and are you going to be using the Andes for it or something.

What headphones you use again. Sorry, all your newbie avatars are the same and there have been like 4 of you in the past 3 days so I forgot. M50 and something right?

Lolz, yes. I was planning to use ATH-M50's to ANDES to Audio Source which would be iPod or PSP if i change my mind.

And yea 80GB is definitely more than enough.

Honestly though the reason i HATE apple is because they like to organize your music for you. i am very capable of doing that on my own,
That's why i like the freedom of my PSP. Anyways, if there is a way around the iTunes sorting crap id get it hands down really, if you know away around it?

BTW, if it helps just changed my Avatar.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #163 of 1,676
Dec 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #164 of 1,676
Quote:
Lolz, yes. I was planning to use ATH-M50's to ANDES to Audio Source which would be iPod or PSP if i change my mind.

And yea 80GB is definitely more than enough.

Honestly though the reason i HATE apple is because they like to organize your music for you. i am very capable of doing that on my own,
That's why i like the freedom of my PSP. Anyways, if there is a way around the iTunes sorting crap id get it hands down really, if you know away around it?

BTW, if it helps just changed my Avatar.

...there is a checkbox in the iPod screen to allow you yourself to organize it. And then you can make playlists and sync those playlists. Etc.
Quote:
There are no "older Classics". The first "Classic" was the 6G. So saith Apple themselves....http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

Yeah, the first Classic used a Wolfson. From the iPod Touch 2G and on they all used Cirrus Logics. The iPod Touch 1G used a Wolfson for example.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #165 of 1,676
Quote:
...there is a checkbox in the iPod screen to allow you yourself to organize it. And then you can make playlists and sync those playlists. Etc.

Well, what i meant by that is, in my PSP, i can make my own folders and everything and name them what i want, from what i remember with my Nano,
you cant do that, correct me if im wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back