FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #121 of 1,676
Quote:
So I've been listening to my music with my ANDES and I'm loving it...

Slight problem though.. on certain songs, it seems that my music 'crackles' at certain low points (I'm listening to A Dark Knight from the Dark Knight OST on a macbook pro if that helps any).

Maybe it's a problem with itunes...>.> I wouldn't put it past apple to screw things up like that...

Any thoughts?

It wouldn't be iTunes as much as a software issue and hardware based one between 96KHz 24bit suppport on E17.

It could be a software mismach due to hardware, the songs being used or the E07K

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #122 of 1,676
Quote:
i'm listening to it via USB right now.  my phone is rooted but i'm using the stock jellybean rom.  i'm with telus in canada which is the same model as ATT in the states. 

when you connect your OTG cable does the galaxy show a msg that USB has been connected (even before plugging in the dac to the OTG?)

I did get it to work... thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I guess I was connecting the dac to the OTG first, then to the phone. Order was definitely tricky, and the phone seemed to get confused when I tired different connections. Got to the point where nothing would play, but a reboot cleared it up and I was able to test for a while before the phone ran out of juice. I did get a little bit of digital skipping/garbled sound on two occasions when starting a song... like it was handshaking, but that may also have been due to the connection type changes. I'll test it a lot more when it comes off the charger. 

From what I did hear, the sound quality when using both the dac and amp was excellent. Though I will say that the Qualcomm dac in the American GS3 isn't that bad when paired with the external amp. I thought it sounded noticeably better than GS3 without amp or my iPad with and without the amp. Still, the sq with dac and amp wins the day as expected. Looking forward to more testing.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #124 of 1,676
Looks like I spoke too soon. When I tried it again after charging my phone, I can't get it to work via USB again (even after reboots and plugging in the OTG first). When I try to play a song using the music player, no sound comes though and the seconds count up much faster than they should. Spotify plays no sound either, and sometimes shows the time counting up properly, but other times it just jumps ahead a minute or just freezes. I tried clearing the data out of the Music Player and MusicFX, but it still didn't work. Now I'm not sure how I got Spotify to play via USB earlier...

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #126 of 1,676
im actually wondering if anyone here can help me out with a tough decision im stuck in. I have ATH-M50's and I've been looking at the Fiio Andes which seems really great as a portable Amp/DAC but i also found the Digizoid Zo2. Btw,a lot of people may be shocked but, My MP3 player is my Playstation Portable. Mostly because i expanded it to 32gb and it honestly sounds much better than most iPods and other devices ive listened to. Anyways at first i just wanted somethnig to make my music louder because the amp inside the PSP cant really turn up the volume that much. But, then i saw that u could turn up the bass, treble,etc. with the Andes, But the Zo2 seems to be the best portable amp out there and seems perfect for what i want. But just wanted to know what u guys think i should lean towards or at least the comparison between the two.

Btw my music genre goes anywhere honestly. EX: Sub Foucs, Foo Fighters, The Beatles, The Doors, a bunch of dubstep/DnB songs, Classical (Symphony No. 9 by Chopin).

So my listening spectrum is kind of everywhere. i really just want something that just makes my music in general sound better but i also like the idea of adjusting the treble and bass at will as well, oh btw i am more of a bass person as well. Ok, so im sorry if this is hard to follow its just im trying to find something portable, under 130$, and can allow me to turn up my music without distortion and increase bass and maybe treble. I am also aware that the M50's dont need an amp but im pretty sure they would benefit from it :) Anyways... if someone could help with my dilemma would be MUCH appreciated.

ALSO, if it helps

My setup would be like this (If there is a better way to set this up please advise me)

M50 --- Amp --- Playstation Portable.

Thanks in advance for help :)

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #127 of 1,676
Quote:
im actually wondering if anyone here can help me out with a tough decision im stuck in. I have ATH-M50's and I've been looking at the Fiio Andes which seems really great as a portable Amp/DAC but i also found the Digizoid Zo2. Btw,a lot of people may be shocked but, My MP3 player is my Playstation Portable. Mostly because i expanded it to 32gb and it honestly sounds much better than most iPods and other devices ive listened to. Anyways at first i just wanted somethnig to make my music louder because the amp inside the PSP cant really turn up the volume that much. But, then i saw that u could turn up the bass, treble,etc. with the Andes, But the Zo2 seems to be the best portable amp out there and seems perfect for what i want. But just wanted to know what u guys think i should lean towards or at least the comparison between the two.

Btw my music genre goes anywhere honestly. EX: Sub Foucs, Foo Fighters, The Beatles, The Doors, a bunch of dubstep/DnB songs, Classical (Symphony No. 9 by Chopin).

So my listening spectrum is kind of everywhere. i really just want something that just makes my music in general sound better but i also like the idea of adjusting the treble and bass at will as well, oh btw i am more of a bass person as well. Ok, so im sorry if this is hard to follow its just im trying to find something portable, under 130$, and can allow me to turn up my music without distortion and increase bass and maybe treble. I am also aware that the M50's dont need an amp but im pretty sure they would benefit from it :) Anyways... if someone could help with my dilemma would be MUCH appreciated.

ALSO, if it helps

My setup would be like this (If there is a better way to set this up please advise me)

M50 --- Amp --- Playstation Portable.

Thanks in advance for help :)

The PSP's in my opinion may sound better because they are of lower quality and muddier. The more flat sound of the iPod's which are in technical sakes and in the case of audiophiles elsewhere are more superior in their case probably didn't appeal to you as it made your music not sound as popped out. 

But seeing as you already like the PSP then why not. I would say to just get a E6

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #128 of 1,676
I can understand where your coming from, i actually have an iPod nano but the buttons are messed up bc i bought off a friend. I really wouldnt mind an iPod but im kind of used to my PSP. Lets say i would use my iPod right? Which amp would u recommend at that point? and im guessing that it would be better to use the LOD right? and again if i used the LOD what would be better at that point? (Also, i kno this probably isnt the best place to ask but, whats probably the cheapest iPod i could get? like is there a SQ difference in the iPods? or do they all pretty much sound the same?)

Thanks in advance for the help. oh, and how come u only recommend E6? For instance, give me an example of why it would be a waste to get a ZO2 or Fiio Andes?

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #129 of 1,676
Quote:
I can understand where your coming from, i actually have an iPod nano but the buttons are messed up bc i bought off a friend. I really wouldnt mind an iPod but im kind of used to my PSP. Lets say i would use my iPod right? Which amp would u recommend at that point? and im guessing that it would be better to use the LOD right? and again if i used the LOD what would be better at that point? (Also, i kno this probably isnt the best place to ask but, whats probably the cheapest iPod i could get? like is there a SQ difference in the iPods? or do they all pretty much sound the same?)

Thanks in advance for the help. oh, and how come u only recommend E6? For instance, give me an example of why it would be a waste to get a ZO2 or Fiio Andes?

Some iPod Nano's do not have that 30 pin dock connector and thus can't use an LOD.

Most recommended Apple Devices on Head-Fi are the iPod Classic or 5G, iPod Touch(most already have it anyway so why not), and the iPhone.
The Classic and 5G's as they hold a lot of space and the 5G have good DAC, iPod Touch because most already have it, and iPhone because most already have it.

The M50 from my short minute with it didn't seem to really need an amp past even an iPod's but hey.

Because E6 has enough power for M50. You can get the others that have much more power and can dual purpose if you want. ANDES is a headphone amp and DAC. ZO2 is an headphone amp with perculiur qualities to it.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #130 of 1,676
Quote:
Some iPod Nano's do not have that 30 pin dock connector and thus can't use an LOD.

Most recommended Apple Devices on Head-Fi are the iPod Classic or 5G, iPod Touch(most already have it anyway so why not), and the iPhone.
The Classic and 5G's as they hold a lot of space and the 5G have good DAC, iPod Touch because most already have it, and iPhone because most already have it.

The M50 from my short minute with it didn't seem to really need an amp past even an iPod's but hey.

Because E6 has enough power for M50. You can get the others that have much more power and can dual purpose if you want. ANDES is a headphone amp and DAC. ZO2 is an headphone amp with perculiur qualities to it.

Yea, the ZO2 is specifically from what i understand a portable subwoofer lolz, and the Andes is a Amp/Dac. i would really like that feature BC my laptops sound card does suck and i use it as my desktop so it would be nice to run my Altecs through it. And also, honestly, would i notice a sound difference with a ZO2 or ANDES with my PSP vs no amp?

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #131 of 1,676
Oh, one more question, does it matter which generation iPod Classic? cause so far the cheaper ones seem to be 5th and 6th Gen. im on Ebay right now lolz. Because i  honestly don think its worth 300$ for 7th Gen when i can get it for 100-125$

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #132 of 1,676
LOL did you see my post? I have the M50's and just got this amp. The M50's are ok unamped but pair it with the E07K and it brings it to life, giving it a much better sound stage. I was thinking the ZO2 but then after watching this review I said screw that. The Andes made a difference with the M50's which are 38ohms but for sure made no noticeable difference with my 16ohm IEMs, which I expected. Also, this when run via USB, I have not tried them with this amp via 3.5mm

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #133 of 1,676
Wow, well screw the ZO2, i honestly wanted it FOR turning up the volume since my PSP is pretty quiet. So i guess im going with the ANDES. Thanks SO much Lurk650 and Bowei006 for your help. you Really changed my decision. Also, one more thing, from what i understand there isn't THAT much of a difference using LOD vs just 3.5mm TO 3.5mm or is there?

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #134 of 1,676
Wow, well screw the ZO2, i honestly wanted it FOR turning up the volume since my PSP is pretty quiet. So i guess im going with the ANDES. Thanks SO much Lurk650 and Bowei006 for your help. you Really changed my decision. Also, one more thing, from what i understand there isn't THAT much of a difference using LOD vs just 3.5mm TO 3.5mm or is there?

ZO2 is, as you said, to make your cans into portable subwoofers. Now why would you want that :rolleyes:
Okay, okay, it's for bassheads not for me lol.

The biggest difference between using a LOD and directly using a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable is that the LOD bypasses your iDevice's amp, so all volume control will be done via the amp itself.
I am supposing this applies to all iDevices but if I am wrong I hope someone can correct me.
In terms of sound difference, there could be a difference but perhaps not day and night difference. Depends also on the songs and gears involved in listening.

For the PSP, you'll have to use a audio cable rather than LOD, naturally. E6 also has bass boost functions AFAIK, so it could be a cheaper alternative as Bowei mentioned.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #135 of 1,676
Quote:
ZO2 is, as you said, to make your cans into portable subwoofers. Now why would you want that
rolleyes.gif

Okay, okay, it's for bassheads not for me lol.
The biggest difference between using a LOD and directly using a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable is that the LOD bypasses your iDevice's amp, so all volume control will be done via the amp itself.
I am supposing this applies to all iDevices but if I am wrong I hope someone can correct me.
In terms of sound difference, there could be a difference but perhaps not day and night difference. Depends also on the songs and gears involved in listening.
For the PSP, you'll have to use a audio cable rather than LOD, naturally. E6 also has bass boost functions AFAIK, so it could be a cheaper alternative as Bowei mentioned.

Yea a lot of people were saying that could be an alternative, but i started getting into the ANDES because i could bypass my laptops sound card and just use as external when im not out and about. BTW, is there honestly ANY sound difference between the E6 and Andes? in terms of me just hooking it up to my PSP Via 3.5 to 3.5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back